Arthur A's old 820i Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pre_pace
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Arthur A's old 820i Fastback

Post by pre_pace » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:02 pm

As many of you will have seen Arthur A started a thread a week or so ago to find a new home for his old 820. I arranged to collect it from him on Thursday evening, he is a really nice guy, with several Rovers, including a P4, P6, 75 Tourer and a newly acquired White Gold 820 Sterling Coupe, which I have to say was beautiful.

After he was kind enough to show me his cars, he handed over the keys and the extensive paperwork for his old car. It was dark so other than seeing all the paperwork I couldn't see much of the car, but it drove home very well indeed. It has done a shade over 173,000 miles but has been extremely well maintained mechanically. It was obvious from the drive that there's something not quite right with the clutch as the pedal occasionally stays on the floor when changing gear. Anyway it rained all the way home and so I parked it up in the dark and left it for the evening.

Of course, I got up Friday hoping to be able to have a closer look and an inspection, but it was of course still raining, during a short interlude in the rain I popped out and took these snaps and was surprised to see how well it actually looked and how well it has stood up to being a daily driver for the last 12 years..........

I finally got to have a closer look today and the opportunity to give it a good clean. It does have some dash lift of course, slightly sagging headlining and all of the wheel arches are a starting to resemble a crumbling digestive (albeit Arthur had treated the affected areas with Waxoyl which is most certainly preventing any further issues.) Other than that it really has kept well. There's a blow on the exhaust and I'm sure the clutch slave cylinder is failing and of course there's some slight water ingress into the boot from the O/S/R light cluster. Here's some pics of during and after the clean....

So, there we go, given its high mileage I think it scrubbed up quite nicely! I was going to use this as a spares car, but I'm not ready to start breaking it just yet as it's actually a bit too nice to do that for now!
David.

1990 R8 Rover 416 GSi
1998 R8 Rover 416 SE Tourer

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Arthur A's old 820i Fastback

Post by mercedade » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:15 pm

That's a cracking rapid restoration job there! Looks lovely.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

'CHARD
Regular Visitor

Post by 'CHARD » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Excellent work!

Hopefully got several thousand more miles ahead of her too....

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 pm

That is excellent Dave, well done. Hopefully you will be able to get some use out out of the car
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 pm

That looks tidy and :shock: :shock: :shock: working boot struts, I dare not stick my head in my boot for more than a few seconds
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

FrazzleTC
Regular Visitor

Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 pm

That looks remarkably good! Great to see a car which didn't have a particularly bright future receiving some TLC. Hope you work through the little issues easily, and that it gives many years of service!
Fraser

urbanviking
Regular Visitor

Post by urbanviking » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

That looks to be a real stunner, nice work :)
That looks tidy and :shock: :shock: :shock: working boot struts, I dare not stick my head in my boot for more than a few seconds
I must ask, is that why your forum name is Slamm?
72 Rover 2000SC
91 Rover 827 Vitesse Auto
Too many motorcycles
www.digitaldisarray.co.uk