Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 am

Latest.

Last Saturday spent the day preparing the car for Drive it Day and headed off Sunday morning. Pulled into a service station to fill up with Diesel. As we walked back to the car Rosalind noticed a puddle under the front. It was a significant pool of Diesel. I started the car and we could clearly see diesel dripping steadily from the injection pump. With a fuel leak like that we disappointedly decided to abandon Drive it Day and head back home.

Monday I took the car to the garage and they agreed the fuel pump was leaking and would need repairing or replacing. I spent the day calling around. A local company told me repair would be around £200 plus vat and could have the pump ready the following working day. I also found a second hand pump for £60 which was guaranteed. Telephoned "Diesel Bob" on the recommendation of another ROver enthusiast and they were very helpful. Quoted £100 with a 24 hour turnaround.

I cancelled the used pump and asked the garage to remove my pump. They called me on Tuesday lunchtime. It took 3 hours to remove. I packaged it up and sent it Special Delivery to Diesel Bob.

I had not hear anything back from them so called yesterday afternoon. Spoke to Bob who said - did you not read your email? - As I was at work I had not. He told me they had made a mistake with the quote and it would cost £195 plus delivery plus vat and because of that they had not started them pump.

I was a bit peeved at this as they completely have me stitched up. I asked them to meet me half way on the price and he said he would talk to his colleague and get back to me. I might as well of had the pump repaired locally and saved myself the delivery costs (or just fitted the used pump) and I would have had the car back by the weekend. Its looking now like it will be the middle of next week because of the bank holiday. Oh yes and my garage are also unhappy because the car has been in their workshop all week and I promised them the pump would be back this morning!

£274 inc delivery is not a terrible price - but allot more than £100 they quoted on the phone. Anyway lets see if they come right. Will keep you informed.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 am

Just had a call from the guy who originally quoted me. He has agreed to meet half way on cost. So the total is £197. Still more than the original quote but better than double. Still wont get the pump back until next Tuesday though.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:36 am

Sorry to hear of your grief getting the quotes etc Darren. It does bring to mind the old adage of "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". Unfortunately this has landed you between a rock and a hard place in as much as the increased price wasn't notified to you until after you had more or less committed yourself.

Just a thought for the long term though, would it be worth buying the second hand pump and having it checked over/refurbished so it can live on the shelf as insurance against similar future events?

Good news they've agreed to meet halfway on the price. Being a cynical old git, i can't help thinking this was how much they originally wanted and "inflated" the price to make you think that you were getting a deal.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for your kind words. I had thought about keeping the spare pump, but normally an injector pump will outlast the engine - its probably failed because the car has been off the road so many years in the past....something that will never happen under my ownership. Also, I only use shell or esso fuel; V power at least once a month and always service on the dot so I dont anticipate any other issues.

However - I was lucky enough to find injection timing tools (locks the cars timing gear) and guage kit for the VP36 (sets up and locks the timing of the pump), which means it can be set up properly. If any other diesel 800 owners need to borrow the kit they can.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Fair point on the seals although i've known a few injector pumps pop leaks from seals at relatively young ages. Last one i saw sliced a piece of paper in half as it was a pinhole in the seal on the high pressure side - glad i used the paper and not my hand to check where the leak was coming from!

Got a sneaking suspicion you won't get many takers on your kind offer of the loan of the timing kit - i think you are the only 800 diesel owner left! :wink: :lol: Joking aside, i can't remember the last time i saw one on the road (except TARA) or ebay even! Not sure what howmanyleft.co.uk would say but wouldn't think there would be many?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Sunroof repair / clearing drain channels Part 1

Post by tonewheeldude » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:28 am

I hate it when things do not work as they should. The sunroof has been siezed ever since I bought the car. It is suposed to slide and tilt, but does neither. The motor is ok so the mechanism must be jammed.

The other problem is water tends to gather in the footwells. Its a common problem on the 800. The sunroof is not water tight and was never intended to be. Instead Water collects in a 'gutter' around the edge of the sunrooth and escapes down train tubes that are located inside the vehicle A posts and rear 1/4 panel and then out onto the road. however these become blocked and the water ends up in the footwell, or worse (as in my case) water actually pours in through the headlining!

So I set about doing both repairs at the same time.

Unfortunately it was not possible to repair the sunroof so had to out everything back and look for a replacement. That arrived last week and I fitted it Friday
The Headlining has to be removed

Remove the door step covers and door seals

remove the A post trims

remove the front courtesy lamp

remove passenger visor (connections are for the vanity lamp)

and the drivers side visor

the rear coutesy lamp simply pulls out (one side first). Evidence of mice here!

The internal alarm sensor poulls out. It looks a bit rusty due to the sunroof drain channels being blocked.

remove both grab handles

remove the sunroof trim. note for re-assembly… the trim allows for a small gap between the sunroof and the headlining.

remove the top seatbelt anchor. note the position of the spacers and washer.

unclip the top parts of the C pillar trims and remove both of the grab handle supports (handed)

Finally remove the headlining trim clips ffrom the top of the B Pillars

and remove the headlining out of the door — mice have been in there!

mice liked the foam coating on the wiring loom — thankfully no damage to the cables.

there are 4 drain tubes, remove the clips…

…and pull off the tubes.

unplug the sunroof connector and remove the two front screws. Then the 6 x 8mm bolts from the sunroof. Be carefull its heavy! and remove it from the car.

At last the sunroof is open…for a while anyway :)

Sunroof removed

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Sunroof repair / clearing drain channels Part II

Post by tonewheeldude » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 am

Next is to clear those drain tubes. There are four in total. 2 in the boot and 2 inside the front foot wells. These are hard to get to!

I also ordered a replacement sunroof assembly and fitted it this Friday. For the fist time I can now open the sunroof!

remove the boot trim (floor and sides)

the boot lamp has to be removed too.

right hand side drain tube is behind the wheel arch…

…just there

pull it out of the hole and wash it out. check the tube is not blocked too!

and the left hand side drain is behind there

there it is!

they look like this

all four were blocked

nice! It all washed out under the tap

the front footwells are hard to get to. take off as much trim as you need to get access. You can see this one is blocked and water has been running in.

back in and tidying up

To check I poured water in the top of the drain tubes to make sure the water came out on the road....it did.

the new sunroof

Success…open at last!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:56 am

Superb write up Darren! Out of interest, the wires that are hidden behind the headlining for the vanity mirror (passenger sun visor) - can you remember which way they run from the hole? Is it down the A pillar or towards the front courtesy light?
Some clever article replaced the passenger sun visor with a non-illuminated one in mine and although i now have the correct one, i can't find the wires behind the headlining - any help would be errr.......helpful! :wink: :D

Hope you've evicted all the mice and their "baggage" from your car now as well! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:20 pm

That's funny... I removed my coupe sunroof the other day.
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:45 pm

An excellent write up and how to. well done sir
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Thank you.

Dave I will check in case I took a photo with the cable visible.
Deano - appologies. It was proving difficult to get to you. plus, water was still pouring in on my head - so when the ebay one came up for £65 I took it.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks Darren - i really don't want to go through all of that just to wire the vanity mirror up! ) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 am

Scooby Dave,
If I remember... I`ll have a look a my coupe (whats left of it) to see if I can see which way the wiring goes ,
although I have `slashed` some bits out so not sure if it`ll be obvious to tell....

I would have thought it would have been fed from the centre interior light.

I still need to wire up my sunvisor on the SLi too
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 am

Thanks Dean - i think it's probably fed from the courtesy light as well but you can never be sure! ;) :D
I'll have to check in my Sterling to see if it works without the lights on as it might also be fed from the lighting circuit. :shock: :idea:
That said, it's still no guarantee it's correct - i've found all sorts of discrepancies between the Sterling and coupé despite being allegedly identical spec, no passenger footwell lighting for a start on the coupé and no hole for the lamp either! There is a hole for the lamp on the drivers side but no lamp! :roll:

If you could look in yours that would be a big help though as it would give me a clue how Rover did it. :?: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:19 pm

I read somewhere , they dropped the footwell lights when they designed the mk 2 but left the hole and wiring there....

When the post 96 model came in they had done away with it completely.

I guess they already had that in mind when they built the coupe.... 92ish
------------------
Previously
1972 Rover P6 2000TC