Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:34 pm

The front shocks are common across the range from start to finish (1986-99) except for Vitesse models being slightly shorter because of the 20mm lower suspension.
The rear shocks are different on Mk1s and also regardless of age/model are handed but any Mk2 shock will fit your coupé although again if they're Vitesse-specific they will be shorter.

If you can find them, some new springs will really improve things as well. Either way the front springs have to come off to fit the new shocks as they are essentially coil-over-shocks. You'll need a suspension coil spring compressor if you're doing it yourself, if you like you're welcome to use mine.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Excellent write-up, thanks very much.

A good reminder and guide for everyone on how to clean the sunroof drains too. A good idea to check them before the bad weather this winter.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tonewheeldude » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 pm

thanks Tom, I thought it would be a good idea to take photos and take some of the mystery out of those drains plugs.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 am

To be honest, it has reminded me I need to get mine checked. :oops:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:38 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:The front shocks are common across the range from start to finish (1986-99) except for Vitesse models being slightly shorter because of the 20mm lower suspension.
The rear shocks are different on Mk1s and also regardless of age/model are handed but any Mk2 shock will fit your coupé although again if they're Vitesse-specific they will be shorter.

If you can find them, some new springs will really improve things as well. Either way the front springs have to come off to fit the new shocks as they are essentially coil-over-shocks. You'll need a suspension coil spring compressor if you're doing it yourself, if you like you're welcome to use mine.
Thanks for the offer Dave - I do have a set of compressors though.

So it looks like if my car has standard chassis setup and I order shorter shocks I am also going to need the matching springs. At the moment I am looking at the japaneseparts monotube gas shock absorbers that are listed specifically for the Vitesse, whilst most other brands seem to be, as you say, one size fits all.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Pretty much Darren - the springs need to match the shocks. I don't know what your area is like but if you have speed humps, go for the standard ride height. If yours still has the normal Sterling set-up you'll probably find the springs have sagged to Vitesse levels by now anyway.

Also when changing the rear springs, disconnect the ARB from the lower arm and also the ABS sensor lead - it's held on to the lower arm by two brackets each secured with an M5 (8mm hex head) bolt. Also be aware the top mounts on the shocks only fit one way into the aperture in the boot.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 am

tonewheeldude wrote:The car has never caused me to have a breakdown :) ...but the caravan saga was pushing it a bit.

Thanks for the info on the shocks. I have found a few suppliers of gas versions including TRW, KRB, Bilstein and Sachs. Need to make sure they are the right ones before ordering though. Whatever I order I will post the info up here if they fit.
I had a local factors tell me that they could source the various branded shocks.

All that I found were the KYB Gas over oil at £300 a set. Even then they only have a left or right hand rear shock in stock (can't remember which!) which means a spacer is needed for the brake hose mount.

If you do indeed find the correct shocks like the Bilsteins I'd be eager to order some Vitesse spec ones! :lol:

Pleased to hear your coupe is motoring along, even it it does throw a wobbly (or belt!) every now and again.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:32 pm

£300 is quite steep for a pair of rears. I have found quite a lot of different types; Oil, Twin Tube and Gas from a number of suppliers, however none of these give specifications (but then again I have no idea of the original specs anyway to compare)
I am taking educated guesses on ordering by cross referencing original part numbers and narrowing the shocks down to just two types. Standard suspension and sports. I can use that to organize the the aftermarket suppliers to some extent but its a minefield.

Basically I have found the options are:
Monroe twin tube
Sachs Twin Tube
KYB oil or Twin Tube
JapanParts Oil, Twin Tube and Gas

As a result I have ordered JapanParts Gas shocks for the rear (one of the rears have broken on the coupe), but quite honestly I am not 100% sure if they will be correct. Depending on how they seem I will then order fronts. Springs - thats another problem. Again I need specifications, but cant seem to find them. I have all the original part numbers but on their own its not enough. Ironically these are the cheapest of the lot, but the only manufacturer to offer monotube gas struts.
Part numbers are: MM-00456 (rear left) and MM-00457 (rear right). I ordered via autodoc.co.uk who have a sale on and free delivery until midnight.

My fear is that I will end up with 'jacked up' suspension....which would be even worse than a rolly polly car.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:34 pm

I think when Dusan said £300 he meant the full set of 4 shocks Darren! The OE shocks were KYB (when Honda had a finger in the Rover pie) and i think Japparts are also KYB but rebranded, might be wrong on that though. Either way KYB and Japparts are both well known, good quality kit. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:12 am

That makes sense - i was quoted £160 for a set of rears by a local motor factor. The JapanParts are on offer for under £30 each for gas, a little cheaper for twin tube. Monroe only £24 each, but they are oil which I think is what is on the car now. Have a look on:
http://www.autodoc.co.uk/

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:00 am

Going to upset everyone now - 4 new springs, 4 new KYB shocks, about £125 delivered. Sadly not for the 800, they were for my Volvo but they have some good prices on shocks :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw= ... k&_sacat=0

Reasonable prices on springs too :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw= ... g&_sacat=0

Not sure if that's any help if you've already ordered but it might be a useful second source. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 pm

good find - not sure why I missed those....the JapanParts shocks come to £114 for the four so a great price (but only ordered rear to see the quality)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Could be how you've got your ebay set up to search. Mine is set for "Lowest Price + P&P", then i set the format to Buy It Now for things i don't want to bid on then UK Only for things i don't want to wait 2 months to arrive on a slow boat from China.
Also the search words - i tend to be deliberately vague to start "Rover 800 shock" to start with for example.
Then i narrow it down according to what results i get. Sometimes i miss something that's badly listed but my point of view is that if it's that badly listed then they don't care enough about what they're doing to give good service so it's just as well! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Yes that was for all 4 shocks mate. I "Needed" them sharpish - turns out I didn't have the time (and still don't due to other reasons) to fit them!

Do please keep us posted on those shocks you've ordered. I'd like to see about getting some uprated ones made with a higher low speed rebound and compression to help cure the wallowy feeling without compromising the high speed bump/rebound to give a supple yet more controlled ride. Not sure on the levels of interest though.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:57 am

Just be grateful you never need them for a Mondeo with levelling rears. :lol:

Hoping I never do either.

Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold