Kates D reg 1987 820Si Saloon

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kates D reg 1987 820Si Saloon

Post by rovercoup » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 pm

A tough call i'm sure Ryan but at least you have peace of mind with the new owner.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Well after looking over the car, I have formed a list of things I want to get done to make it a "show stopper"

1/ Clean all the arches, check the state of the filler neck and remove all the dirt from the lips of the rear arches.

2/ There is a little bit of dash lift which needs sticking down to stop it getting any worse.

3/ clean the engine bay.

4/ There about 4 minor dinks and scrapes, as well as some surface corrossion to the leading edge of the rear arches, which need re painting. I will give the car to the chap who repaired the 820Se and Sterling, for this. Not sure if I will do this, this year or next.

5/ Clean the dirt from the door hinges.

6/ Put 4 new tyres on.

Got back from an early shift today and started on the arches. I wasnt sure if there was a protective sealant in the arches but a gentle rub with a cloth revealed gleaming gold paint work so I decided to go for it.

I'd already had a go with a pressure washer before taking the wheel off. You can see in this next shot the difference just a quick jet wash made.

Autoglym tar and road grime remover with lots of elbow grease, got rid of all the backed on crud

You can see the surface corrosion in this piccy on the leading edge of the arches. I rubbed it down, Krusted the surface and mixing a gold and silver put a layer of paint on. Not perfect but good enough to stop it getting any worse.

The nearside was very grubby and I was concerned about the filler kneck as I had already knocked a lot of muck of the top of the pipe

The whole wheel well was in the same condition as the lower part of it in this picture, covered in rippling waves of mud.

Thankfully the filler kneck was really good, once all the dirt had been washed away. I will smear the top in grease once it has all dried out.

There was patches of rust on both steel wheels. These were rubbed down, krusted and sprayed with satin black paint.

Just getting these both done took over 4 hrs removing 27 years and 22000 miles worth of road crud but now they look much better I think. Next up the fronts :roll:

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:46 pm

Great set of pictures, Kate. Nice result. It looks like a new new car
No longer an 800 owner!

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 pm

You are just as precise as me :P
Your fleet looks awesome!!
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Fantastic work and a super car, good on you Kate
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Wow! I'm not often speechless or even struggling for words but i'm in awe of how clean you made those arches Kate!

As an aside, don't forget those tyres are 195/70HR14 when you come to renew them - might come as a shock after the 195/65R15 and 205/55R16 tyres on your later cars!
Nice to see it has the original 14" wheels too and that nobody has thought to "upgrade" them.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 pm

WOW........................Superb effort and results Kate, yours smile from finishing can be seen here in Bedfordshire.
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Just spotted this, that car has passed on to the right owner / custodian.
I saw it at POL this year and is superb, looks even better now. 8)
Glad it's got a garage too.

Nice one Kate.

Jon

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:00 pm

After a busy week and tough day at work, I didn't have the energy to do any more wheel arch cleaning duties, so I have ordered 5 new tyres.
The Michelins on the back and the spare were 16 years old and badly cracked. On the front were two obscure Korean tyres, "Mig Yakahoma Deathmasters" I think with plenty of tread but then mahogany is tough. Michelins all round as I think it would have come with this make originally.

I decided just to take some pictures of some of the unusual features on this car that I have not seen before and are not on my other 3 cars.

The button on the handbrake is square rather than round

I love these 6 dialers. Its just such a period look. (You can see the dash lift thats another job on my list).

Bonnet release. The bottom pulls out and up to release.

The door handles don't feel as substantial as the later ones. A reason why they were changed perhaps?

The rear seats have more of a coupe look with that raised central bolster and no middle head rest. According to one of my brochures these rear head rests were an optional extra. Check out the detailing on the head rests both front and rear.

Though its an Si there is no walnut on the door trim. My 1989 Se does have.

Under the bonnet. Inspection lamp on the underside is a nice little touch

The engine bay (yet to be cleaned). Foam dampers on either wing up by the scuttle seem to have been delated on later models.

The bulk head foam is mint with no flaking or perishing.

I read on a post, on whitelions thread to do with his D plate Sterling, that the rear wings were different on the early ones. On the outside I couldn't see any difference but then looked inside. Compared with the SE they are.

The grill also seems a little more flimsy than later on.

No spoiler around the bottom of the mudguard and there are blanking caps were I assume it should fit.

Thats all I've been able to find so far but am sure will have a few more of those... "OOOh thats different!!!!" .... moments the longer I spend with the car.

If the weathers nice tomorrow I will attack the front arches.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Nice to see more pics Kate, especially the "differences" - brings back memories of "DOGS" (D859 SGO, my first 800)!

Re the dash lift, the only thing i've found that actually does the trick is this stuff :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EvoStik-IMP2250 ... t+adhesive

Horrible to work with, especially in a roasting hot car with the windows shut! Does the job though! The best method i've found to sort dash lift means removing the instruments, collecting some spring clamps (like giant crocodile clips/market traders tarp clips that hold their tarps on in windy weather), a selection of wood offcuts and a blazing hot day. With the instruments removed and the windows shut, prepare to sweat a bit - you need the cabin as hot as possible to make the dash flexible which is the key to a successful re-fixing of the dash to the metal frame underneath.

Following the instructions on the glue about putting some on each surface etc, work from the outside in, clamping the dash to the frame each time. Use the pieces of wood to spread the load and prevent small, narrow dents in the dash. Leave the clamps on preferably overnight so that it all cools down while clamped in place and it should sort your dash lift for some years to come. Yes, there will be imprints where the pieces of wood have been but these drop out in fairly short order and quicker if parked in the sun.

Make sure you take frequent breaks when working with the glue in the enclosed car too - it says it's solvent free but i don't believe that somehow! The biggest problem with doing the dash lift is getting a day when the sun is blazing hot and being able to park the car facing the sun to get the dash hot enough to be flexible so you can reglue it!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Great photos Kate which show so much detail and just how good the car is. Just a quick thought Rimmers still have beige premium mats going cheap if you don't have any. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-EAH102650SMJ £12.00 inc vat.
worth having a spare set even if you have some just for show purposes rather than for driving.

To say I am green with envy is an understatement but so pleased for you to have such a beauty, John had better be ready for a show down when you bring this one out he may be in danger of losing his crown :wink:
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for your tips Dave. I am a little nervous about tackling the dash lift but will give it a go.

Those mats do like nice Steve, some mk1 rubber mats with the cut outs are what I really want though. Teeth and hen springs to mind though :roll:

Tackled the front wheel arches today as the job finally let me have a day off.

With both hub caps off the car takes the appearence of a east London mini cab.

The arches are in a wheel state. Worse than the back due to the extra rubber/ brake dust generated from the front wheels.

LOTS of elbow grease and about 2 hours

One of the previous owners had attached pieces of leather to the mud flaps for some reason.

The nearside was not much better

TADHAAA :D

Phew !!!
Hot bath and red wine now needed.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:28 pm

TDHFastback wrote:Hot bath and red wine now needed.

You deserve it. I am so jealous of the lovely cars on this forum, I wish I could have one out here in the UAE.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:02 pm

TDHFastback wrote:Thanks for your tips Dave. I am a little nervous about tackling the dash lift but will give it a go.

Those mats do like nice Steve, some mk1 rubber mats with the cut outs are what I really want though. Teeth and hen springs to mind though :roll:
You're welcome Kate - i forgot one bit though, don't try to rush the dash lift as you'll mess it up. It sometimes takes disappearing for a cup of tea and a distraction before going back to see how you need to do the next bit. If in doubt, pack your kit away for another day. it's frustrating but not as frustrating as making a mess of it through being impatient as that mistake is the first thing that hits you straight between the eyes every time you get in the car until the glue fails. Luckily i found this out before using Evil-Stik! :oops: :oops: :oops:

As for Rover 800 rubber mats? Do you have a picture of some so i can compare the ones i have with what you're looking for?

If not, weather permitting i'll get a pic (or 3) of them tomorrow. They were clean and dry but i stored them in my little trailer with a tarp held on with bungee cords. A combination of 3 months worth of rain in an hour and extremely heavy winds meant the bungees couldn't hold it so the tarp collapsed into the trailer. Luckily there's nothing in there that will be harmed by getting wet, just end up a bit dirty.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Fantastic work again, you definitely deserve a bath and glass of wine
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997