New Addition - 1986 Rover Sterling (Rebecca)

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vectrolosys
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Addition - 1986 Rover Sterling (Rebecca)

Post by vectrolosys » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:28 am

Hi All,

I have recently acquired 'Rebecca', from the previous custodian, Tim Whitelion.

She will make a worthy companion for my very early Sterling 2.7 :).

Not a huge amount of work is required, but I have drawn up a small list of jobs to attend to.

- Alternator
- Recondition 285mm calipers
- General cosmetics
- My standard dinitrol treatment

For the age, the car is exceptional, for an early XX, it's mind blowingly good. I am proud to have taken her on.

Thanks goes to Tim, for agreeing to part with her. A big thanks also goes to AlexSBY, who helped with the transportation of the car, back to my home in Somerset, and took time out of his weekend to help, I cannot thank you both, enough. Additional thanks also to Tim, who supplied me with some panels for my Sterling 2.7 project. I now nearly have all the panels I need, ready for the spring respray.

Now, some pictures that I took on the day.

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New Addition - 1986 Rover Sterling (Rebecca)

Post by SJG » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Good luck with the new car, Tim has looked after it well.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 am

Looks like a great example - 2.5L isn't it?

Seeing the pics on the transporter remind me of Brad's painful story when..... oh I'm sure he'll be along to tell it (sorry for dragging it up, Brad!)

Glad it all went well!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 am

:lol: and :(
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 am

mjc9967 wrote:2.5L isn't it?
Would it be rude to point out that it says "2500" on the engine cover?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

vectrolosys

Post by vectrolosys » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi All,

She is indeed a 2.5, so has the weird, earlier things that the 2.5s had...

- Seperate filter style oil filter, rather than the spin on cartridge
- Early, non variable length inlet tract (this, lends the engine a throatier, 90 degree V6 style sound, the C27A is much more muted)
- The 2.5 Autobox, with its characteristic range of 'noises' :).

You can tell that Rover really spent a lot of money on the earlier cars, for example, the head rests have a leather insert stitched in, where one would place their head. Later, early cars, such as my 2.7 Sterling, have just a vinyl finish on the head rests. Another example, is the seperate power amp, used on the earlier, high end cars.

A number of features seemed to disappear fairly quickly, such as the more luxurious head restraints. It's a fascinating car, and shows just how eager Rover were, that this launch should go smoothly, that people should be excited by the new 800 series, and that everything had to be right. Sadly, it wasn't, but that's another story.

James

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Richard Moss wrote:
mjc9967 wrote:2.5L isn't it?
Would it be rude to point out that it says "2500" on the engine cover?
AH - "The clues are there!" as Mr Frost used to say. "Hyooouuu would drive a car like this? Richard, its overdoyoooouuu"

Not even at the notice level with that one - I blame Lido :wink:
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

rovering
Regular Visitor

Post by rovering » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Nice, I still get a kick out of driving my mk1 2.5. It has a better setup for me than the Mk2. Meaning I can get my wheel and seat setup for optimum positioning for my driving style. The mk2 seats don't go back far enough for me, and the thicker steering wheel means I have to have it higher up so as to see dash properly.
Unfortunately though, the next major mechanical issue with the Mk1 will probably see it sent to the razor blade factory!
Graeme
2003 Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 ltr Connoisseur
2001 Rover 75 Club SE 2.5 ltr
1995 Rover Sterling 2.7 (SOLD)
1990 Rover Vitesse 2.7 (SOLD)
1988 Rover Sterling 2.5 (SOLD)
1986 Rover SD1 Vanden Plas