1998 820 Sterling

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1998 820 Sterling

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:26 pm

I picked my Sterling up on Saturday, and the work to remedy it's niggles has started.

It got me home without missing a beat and since then I've put a few more miles on the clock and she's continued to run great. Even when I had to use about half a can of de-icer this morning to dig it out of (what seemed like) several inches of solid ice, the T-Series spun into life first time. Very impressed.

As a bonus, my girlfriend loves it too and it's got parental approval! My Dad even admitted that it's changed his opinion of Rovers (he used to think they were all c**p, and to be fair I did until recent years).

I just love driving this car. It's so relaxing and smooth, I get out of it fresh as a daisy when I'd normally feel knackered. Now I'm getting the feel for it, I'm driving her with a lot more confidence, meaning I can fully enjoy the toys. The sunroof, autochanger and heated seats have been used a lot today :mrgreen: Very glad I took the cheap luxo barge route...Fair play to my ARG obsessed friend for convincing to me consider one!

It's not perfect though, and very soon after picking it up work started to make her the best she can be.

While inspecting the rot, I cleaned the rear arches out. This is what came out.

That's her having eye surgery. A strange sound has been tracked down to a knackered beam adjustment motor.
A temporary fix has been made while a new unit makes it's way to me in the post. The adjustment motors were silly money to buy new, and in the end I opted to repair by replacement. The offside indicator is cracked and partially shattered. The car has a long MoT, but I don't want bits of it falling off at 70 on the motorway (better safe than sorry)...Hoping to get both lights in this weekend.

Next on the list is a service, and sorting out the rust before it becomes a problem.

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 1998 820 Sterling

Post by TDHFastback » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Nice work
Its very satisfying buying a new car and spending some time bringing it back to its former glory, doing all those jobs the previous owner didn't because they lost interest just before selling.

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 pm

Somebody loved it once! Up until 2008 it was serviced at Rover main dealers, and there's still smears of old polish here and there. I think the last owner used it as a cheap run about and didn't care that much about it, going by the scraps and chips all over it...That will be sorted though ;)

But yes, it's very satisfying...I'm hoping to get her at least half way to her former glory in time for PoL.

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Very nice to read that this car is with a enthusiast who does not mind spending time to bring it back to its former glory (i think the car looks fab already by the way).
I hope that i can be there at POL and see your 800 in person and the cars of other members.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:05 pm

Cheers Marc. Well look out for my car - chances are I won't be very far away from it!

New indicator and headlight are now in. An oil change is up next, and when I have the funds a full service (minus the oil of course) because it's in real need of one. The air filter looks almost new, though. I was expecting it to be disgusting.

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

I've covered close to 1000 miles in her, and thought it was high-time for that service. It's cold, damp and dark and I'm too lazy to service it myself. I also thought it would be an idea to get some more stamps in the service book.

The car is growing on me more and more. Even the rush hour M27 is made less stressful in this (even when you take a wrong junction, then need to cut through two lanes of gridlocked traffic to get back on the M27 because you're an imbecile). It seems to have a certain authority and people seem to give it room and respect...Or people are patient because they assume you're 400 years old. :D

My only hiccup to far has been the shut-off not working properly when I filled her up last night, covering the car, the forecourt and my shoes in V-Power, while wondering why the bill was looking bigger than normal...A quick dash to the jet wash at 11pm sorted that though! Are these often dodgy like that?

I've gone to Rover-Tech in Portsmouth for the service - I will leave appropriate feedback later.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:55 pm

It would suggest that the fuel filler tube has rusted and is leaking
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:06 pm

That would make sense because for about five minutes or so, the inside of the car stunk of petrol. Cheers for that - something else for the do to list :D

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Forgot to upload these from earlier. Looks tons better now it's getting a weekly wash and wax...

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Your car is looking nice and sharp with the work you've done, she definitely needs a run out to one of the shows. POL in April maybe
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:37 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:That would make sense because for about five minutes or so, the inside of the car stunk of petrol. Cheers for that - something else for the do to list :D
You really need to sort this out
Simon

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm actually trying to find one right now, along with the other bits I need. How likely that it will be fit to be reconditioned or be a repair by replacement job? Looking at them online they don't look too complex, so hopefully I can tackle it myself. Oddly, I topped up with fuel again today and it was fine...No peeing fuel everywhere is smells inside the car - have you done this job yourself, Simon?

Thanks rovercoup, I fully intend to take her to PoL and BL Day in the Summer.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:33 pm

They are quite easy to remove, and to be honest you can't tell until it is off the car.
Simon

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:I'm actually trying to find one right now, along with the other bits I need. How likely that it will be fit to be reconditioned or be a repair by replacement job? Looking at them online they don't look too complex, so hopefully I can tackle it myself. Oddly, I topped up with fuel again today and it was fine...No peeing fuel everywhere is smells inside the car - have you done this job yourself, Simon?

Thanks rovercoup, I fully intend to take her to PoL and BL Day in the Summer.
Have a look at this thread, Mark did a very good pictorial on his fuel filler replacement and will hopefully give you some pointers.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11138&p=112818&hili ... er#p112818
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks chaps, very helpful.