2.0 litre Sterling Coupe manual with cruise control

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2.0 litre Sterling Coupe manual with cruise control

Post by SJG » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Yes a strange set of ratios. But nice if you don't push it and drive in a relaxed manner, I understand what you mean about the cruise control. I use it alot when we are driving Michelle's 75, so not at the moment!!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm

TDHFastback wrote:That interior is lovely Dave and looks factory fitted. You are indeed a man of many skills.

Kate :D
Thanks Kate, high praise from a lady whose cars are always immaculate :D

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 pm

TheOldMan wrote:
dollysprint wrote: Cruise system came from a 1996 420 GSi, switches are pure 800.
Dusan had a go at that too, with exactly the same parts.

But he never got it to work.

Have you got your cruise running?
Not wired up yet as I have a more pressing issue with cooling fans :evil: Any idea why Dusan couldn't get it too work??

Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:32 pm

stanker wrote:
dollysprint wrote:Look at the engine bay picture above, just below the fancy blue oil filler cap you can see the thermostat housing with a connector on the front of it(thats the lambda connector leading down the exhaust manifold), between that connector and the small bore coolant pipe to the expansion tank you can just see the brass part of the CTS, coolant temperature sensor, just below that, but you cant see it in the pic is the temp gauge sender. Don't rule out the stat but I'd change the sender first.

Dave
Hi Dave

The connector from the wiring harness to the CTS is broken, any ideas where I might be able to get some sort of replacement?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

wrong Dave answering but from another Rover would be one option, failing that a good auto electrical place should be able to help (i don't mean the electrical section of Halfrauds either!) as they are fairly standard sort of plugs. If you can get a photo of it i'll have a look at the spares SLi in the garage and see if there's anything suitable, if so i'll post it out to you and you'll have to either fit it yourself or get someone to join the wires to fit it. Certainly seems to be the problem though!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:36 pm

stanker wrote:
dollysprint wrote:Look at the engine bay picture above, just below the fancy blue oil filler cap you can see the thermostat housing with a connector on the front of it(thats the lambda connector leading down the exhaust manifold), between that connector and the small bore coolant pipe to the expansion tank you can just see the brass part of the CTS, coolant temperature sensor, just below that, but you cant see it in the pic is the temp gauge sender. Don't rule out the stat but I'd change the sender first.

Dave
Hi Dave

The connector from the wiring harness to the CTS is broken, any ideas where I might be able to get some sort of replacement?

Regards

Ian
There was a company that does all manner of Lucas Rist connectors but for the life of me I can't remember their name, either that or replace the engine loom. Thought you were more a v6/diesel man Ian rather than the 2 litre cars. Radio was a result though.

Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm

dollysprint wrote:Look at the engine bay picture above, just below the fancy blue oil filler cap

Dave
Was the fancy blue oil filler cap on it when you bought it or can you put a link up for them please Dave? I already have a nice, bright and shiny chromed filler cap on the Sterling but blue ones would go better with the theme i have (blue HT leads etc) so would be much appreciated!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:Yes a strange set of ratios. But nice if you don't push it and drive in a relaxed manner, I understand what you mean about the cruise control. I use it alot when we are driving Michelle's 75, so not at the moment!!
I remember driving the M42 in the Coupe with its infamous variable speed limits. It was limited to 40mph on this occasion and my Coupe used to change up to 4th at 52mph and drop down to 3rd at 44mph, so something like 3 junctions in 3rd gear!!That was just one of the times I thought Rover had just got it wrong and driving round town in 2nd gear because you couldn't get to the 3rd gear 30mph change point.
I did enjoy the car as a relaxed auto but it some circumstances it just used to grind with me.

Dave

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
dollysprint wrote:Look at the engine bay picture above, just below the fancy blue oil filler cap

Dave
Was the fancy blue oil filler cap on it when you bought it or can you put a link up for them please Dave? I already have a nice, bright and shiny chromed filler cap on the Sterling but blue ones would go better with the theme i have (blue HT leads etc) so would be much appreciated!
I got it off ebay a few years back Dave, it was on my Tomcat until last week. Still undecided as to whether I like it or not to be honest :oops:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks Dave. You've had it a few years and not sure you like it??? :roll: :lol: Have to say i like my chrome one but first a blue one would go better with the blue Ferroflex leads :

and second, the one you see in the pic above is very tight to screw into the rocker cover - planning on "relieving" the thread slightly once i get my lathe up and running but until then it will do.

If i find a listing on fleabay for them i'll come back and post it up for anybody else who might be interested.

EDIT - found this nice Rover badged alloy billet cap :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Tomcat- ... 3aa003df4c
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Dave search ebay for Honda oil filler cap, blue ones on there just leave the Mugen badge off!

Dave

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 pm

dollysprint wrote:
stanker wrote:

Dave
Hi Dave

Regards

Ian
There was a company that does all manner of Lucas Rist connectors but for the life of me I can't remember their name, either that or replace the engine loom. Thought you were more a v6/diesel man Ian rather than the 2 litre cars. Radio was a result though.

Dave
Thanks Dave

This 2 litre saloon was on ebay, as pointed out by the other Dave, "nice looking car for anyone living in Wales" taxed, insured and mot'd, four new tyres, tow bar/ball hitch, same owner for the last 14 years, 95,000 on the clock, same gold colour as the 825, same black trim as the 827, original radio with cd changer in the boot, working drivers door window switch, working sunroof, rear seats in the same condition today, as the day they left the factory.

I was the only bidder, I was sure someone would jump in and outbid me, I didn't really want it, it was too far to go, it took all to drive there and back and cost another £60.00 in fuel.

Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Was that the gold 820 SLi Ian? Nice car indeed but the big problem was the distance and the fact it was manual (i think?) but glad it went to a good home :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:01 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Was that the gold 820 SLi Ian? Nice car indeed but the big problem was the distance and the fact it was manual (i think?) but glad it went to a good home :D
Yes Dave, that's the one, I had to have it, it's got a personalised number plate, well!, personalised to me, according to my neighbours.

One of the rear passenger doors keeps locking itself, have you ever stripped a lock before?

Ian

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Never did get the 420 cruise working, all wired up and no luck.

I had kv6 825 cruise as well which is identical part numbers on the ECU

I will say that in both cases of the donor systems neither were confirmed working before I started but the likelyhood of both being dead is slim to none.

I think either the speed signal is out of range or there was something I missed in the wiring. I dont have to time or apace at the moment to play around with anything but next time I have a crack at it I'll let you know :-)

Love the non airbag dash on the coupe, after having the 827 with one going back into the 820 is annoying ! That shelf is so useful, usually my wallet from my back pocket goes there rather than sitting on it for a long journey.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Did you have the clutch and brake pedal switches wired in and did you take the speed signal from the instruments or from the gearbox speed sensor. Also can you remember where you wired into Mems?

Dave