Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 am

I agree Marc, I put the car in some shows last summer for the first time. I spent a lot of time cleaning and preparing the car and found so many small scratches, dents and imperfections, once you fix one and step back to admire your work another leaps out at you. I want to get the whole car repainted so it is like new when I am happy with the mechanical side so could be a couple of years till then.
If you come to the UK again with your car and mine is on the road we must find a way to get them together for some photos

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm

820Vitesse wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am
Dave thanks for the comprehensive post, very useful, I will only carefully remove the loose stuff not apply any force, anything I remove will not be any use in the process you describe.
I had a brief look at the video online of a chap makes one using Land Rover parts I suspect this is something I will have to try, I sort of want to so it is top condition rather than repaired, this weekend I will know more but my daily needs some overdue attention too so I may be on that instead unfortunately.
To be honest Jim, i wouldn't even remove the loose stuff, i've found it usually works its way back into good metal and if not, it comes off by itself.

I think the guy who did that video also sells them on ebay for about £170 and is also a forum member. If you do choose to make your own, you could simplify the design by making the filler neck in the same diameter tube all the way along, instead of having the larger end at the cap end. As long as you have a cap that fits and can get an unleaded pump nozzle in, you should be ok.

Alternatively, buy an aftermarket filler and link the two with fuel hose.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/fuel-caps ... orderBy=10

A few options there! I used something similar to this for my Coupe but this one has the vent already on the side :

http://www.solentmarine.co.uk/acatalog/ ... iller.html

It's stainless as well so matches much of your other work. If memory erves correctly (which it may not this time) the lower link hose from the filler neck to the tank is about 38mm/1.5" so this would be an almost direct fit plumbing wise.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 pm

Oh no why did you show me all that shiney stuff, now Im thinking about fabricating something from scratch.

The metal parts I have been waiting for turned up today so I have plenty to get on with while I work out what to do about the fuel filler.

Steel, stainless steel and aluminium plates

Adding more precise camber adjustment to the rear suspension turrets

A steel plate for the fuel filler pipe if it is repairable

An aluminium disc adapter for Astrali boss to OMP wheel

Steel plates for the gearbox mount

Biggest and most frustrating problem now is getting time on the car.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:58 pm

The shiny stuff might be easier! :P

Use your steel flange that you have for the filler neck to mount a new filler in then some thin wall flexible fuel hose to connect to the tank or at least to the bottom half of the OE filler neck (the bottom half never seems to rot for some unknown reason!) then sort something out for your vapour control loops and the tank breather/vent and job done.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:33 pm

820Vitesse wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 am
I agree Marc, I put the car in some shows last summer for the first time. I spent a lot of time cleaning and preparing the car and found so many small scratches, dents and imperfections, once you fix one and step back to admire your work another leaps out at you. I want to get the whole car repainted so it is like new when I am happy with the mechanical side so could be a couple of years till then.
If you come to the UK again with your car and mine is on the road we must find a way to get them together for some photos
Exactly that! And yes we must find a way one i come over! Looking foreward to it. :)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Agreed, looking forward to it too. I just need to put my car back together now but with the new parts already mentioned and lots of bolts back from plating things should speed up a little.

Spare starter motor painted and ready to fit

Re-painted some brackets and mount parts before reassembling

Steering wheel adapter disc drilled and tapped (mislaid one of the countersunk screws) waiting for a 30mm spacer then I can fit the boss and wheel to the car and sort the horn wiring.

Started on the gearbox mount, cut off the part no longer needed and made a little wooded jig.

Look away Dave. The fuel filler pipe I cut the vent pipes off at the brackets to make access easier for removing paint and rust, I can weld them back if the repairs are successful. So far it is still water tight but but has some nasty pitting. I have ordered Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 for when the worst of the loose stuff is removed.

Still plenty to do on this but really do not want to make one from scratch unless I have to

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:48 pm

More good work there Jim and i have to say, i'm pleasantly surprised at the overall condition of the fuel filler!

Reckon you got away with the abrasive cleaning method! Have you leak checked it since cleaning it?

You know what i'm going to suggest though, give it a night in the electrolytic cleaning tank, just to reinforce the metal or give it a coating of rust converter followed by etch primer and if you can find one, a resin based top coat.

Once done, weld the vapour loops onto a pair of Jubilee clips and use them to secure the vapour loops to the main filler neck so you don't heat-damage the resin paint.

I'm sure you have a few ideas in mind as well, perhaps even clear passivate them like you've done the bolts. Looking forward to the progress on it either way! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Thanks Dave, I will leak test it again this weekend as I have been working on it last couple of evenings so hope it is still ok.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:47 pm

Filler neck progress, cleaned the rust back further, cut the rusty flange off and leak tested it just with water but luckily so far it is ok. Then gave it a coat of Hydrate 80 up to where it will be welded.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:46 pm

Looking good Jim! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:11 pm

It's all very impressive. Makes me feel guilty for not doing more but a bit difficult when it's your daily driver.

What are peoples' thoughts about painting with Galvafroid as a prefinisher before painting properly?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Wow more impressive work. Amazing!
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks Dave, Mark and Marc.
Cant help you on that one Mark, I have no experience of it.

Steering wheel boss and adapter taking shape

Land Rover Discovery and 800 use the same Rotary coupler/clock spring so found a cheap donor for horn wiring and SRS connectors then cut out what I do not need. I can put it back to standard wheel with the 26 year old air bag if needed for the MOT.

Welded the new flange to the filler neck, its not pretty but thick rusty steel and thin steel is not easy to weld and I worried the heat might crack the old section so kept it to 3 short welds.
Instead of studs on the factory part I went the captive nuts route and tacked them on.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Steering wheel is fitted. It is a 14” so not to much smaller than original and with the spacer the gap between the stalks and wheel is unchanged. I added a bit of colour with blue titanium bolts to mount the wheel and adapter to boss. Now to find a suitable size Rover Viking ship roundal for the horn push, might try cutting down a wheel centre cap.

Little bit of work on the gearbox mount done, top half that bolts to the body, cut to size and tacked together, next is to do the same for the bottom section that fits to the gearbox casing.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:14 pm

820Vitesse wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm
Now to find a suitable size Rover Viking ship roundal for the horn push, might try cutting down a wheel centre cap.
More excellent work there Jim!!! Do you mean this sort of Viking ship?

You could download and save that one then play with the size and use it as a template or whatever.

I'm going to be ordering some peelable vinyl ones soon for a little project (two little projects in fact) and should have a few spare, if not what about the silver version of this :

http://www.leacyclassics.com/parts/rove ... g6007.html

The gold one is out of stock and i don't have the silver one bookmarked but you can find it on their website.

How big is the round bit you want to put the longboat badge on?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate