Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by traineefarmer » Wed May 04, 2016 6:41 am

The strut turret has been reinforced and braced by the roll-cage so no worries there. Also it was designed in the first place to withstand vertical wheel location forces and loadings from the shock absorber.

I can see the advantages of the new location. The spring forces are no longer acting through a bush. Anyway, re-engineering for the track is rarely about making things stronger, but about making them lighter and better in use.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

gyrobird
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by gyrobird » Wed May 04, 2016 9:51 am

traineefarmer wrote:The strut turret has been reinforced and braced by the roll-cage so no worries there. Also it was designed in the first place to withstand vertical wheel location forces and loadings from the shock absorber.

I can see the advantages of the new location..
Built to withstand the opposing force of the spring by fitted a damper is not the same as what has been modified here and what is actually now suspending, not dampening.

The sideways force has been taken into account but the upward force has not.

In my opinion the turret top needs to be reinforced also as this is where the upwards force will be directed.

It may well be ok seeing as it is a similar setup to the front, however, the front has reinforcing all round the mount whereas the rear does not.
It just looks wrong to me and I think the movement will be added here, eventually showing up around the spot welds.

But this all depends on how many corners it's going around and how hard the acceleration.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:44 am

I can see what both of you are saying but there's something not been taken into account here. Jim has spent several years developing, modifying and upgrading this car - it's all here on his website :

http://www.rovervitesse.com/

Might be worth a read before we all jump in head first? I read it some time ago and like Tom points out, he has got the roll cage, strut brace etc and if memory serves, i'm fairly sure he also upgraded/reinforced the rear turrets. I could be wrong so i'll have another read of it soon as well.

That said, on a normal unmodified road-going car that is unlikely to see a race track, even on a "run what ya brung" day, firstly i doubt this mod would be worth it and secondly, it would almost certainly kill the shock turrets in very short order. It's a fair bet Jim has thought this through and wouldn't compromise his many years and beer vouchers of investment with an ill-thought-out mod.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed May 04, 2016 11:14 am

The reason for changing to coilover and moving the spring is there are no spring options for setting up with the standard spring, just a few aftermarket lowering springs with no data or spring rate info.
I looked at altering the lower arm to use 2.25 springs but there isnt the space.
Strength wise I am confident it will be strong enough although I never take anything for granted and will be keeping an eye on it. The rear end weight of this car has been reduced a lot and it will never get near the loads involved to carry 3 heavyweight passengers, a boot full of luggage, a loaded roofrack and a trailer! which is how Rover designed it. Plus the bump stops are on the shocks not the springs so those shock turrets are built as the end stops for the suspension travel.
Time will tell, in the mean time there are so many little things to change and alter still, it turns out that when I put the suspension through a full compression cycle the ARB links bind up, they do not have enough angle in the ball section, I also need to build in a locating bracket for the shock top mount at the camber adjusting slot, these invisible setbacks are what take up so much time.
I will keep you updated, cheers
Jim
Last edited by 820Vitesse on Wed May 04, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Wed May 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Fair points Jim.

Thanks for not biting my head off. :wink:

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue May 10, 2016 9:41 pm

No problem, new disc bells arrived this week, these are much better made and have a spigot for the wheel to mount to, and a nicer colour.

Longer wheel studs also fitted

Next job is to reface the discs on the car and hopefully eliminate the judder for ever. The car was meant to be back road 2 weeks ago but hope to get the skim and MOT done by the end of next week then get to drive it again.
Jim

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue May 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Good lord! Those brakes belong on a TRAIN!

Jokes aside they look like they mean business. Hopefully no more brake judder for you.

Are you doing anything to the rear brakes?
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:

Are you doing anything to the rear brakes?
Not much :

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Only one? 8)

Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:14 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:Only one? 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it's big enough, you only need one :

Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed May 11, 2016 10:12 pm

:D now there is an idea
Unfortunately there is a problem with the bolts so they are back off the car till the weekend then will be refitted with new bolts.
For now I think the rears are ok, I might have to fit improved pads in the future but most of the braking in done at the front, just cant wait to properly test them to really stand on them and see how good they are.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon May 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Hopefully this is the final part of the front brakes repair to cure the judder, to reface the discs while they are fitted to the car removing any warpage that is in the disc and to remove any run out caused by the hubs.
I fired up the Mad disc lathe with specially made wooden floor stand so it can be used at axle stand height.

After the first run across the disc the clean area on the left and the untouched area on the right shows up the distortion in the disc.

and finally after 3 runs across the disc the surface is flat and even

A few little jobs still to get done, then fingers crossed its MOT time Saturday

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 pm

Impressive stuff. :)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Impressive bit of kit there! Should eliminate the brake judder completely, as long as your wheels are balanced of course. :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu May 19, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks Chris, Dave.
Wheel balance is fine, there was no vibration or pedal judder until hard braking with hot brakes, then hard braking caused everything to shake from steering wheel, brake pedal, windows the lot. I have a thing with front brakes, my mountain bike has front brake problems to, I have changed the pads twice and a new disc now looking at the caliper.