Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:35 pm

OK, thanks for that - i thought they looked a bit Superflex-like. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:43 pm

This is what happened when first fitted, so I turned the bush round with the join facing rearwards this improved it a bit but the bush bracket is still a little to wide for the bar.

So I took a little bit out of the bracket to allow it to move inwards but had to make those rectangular washers to fix the bracket to the car securely

It is now a much better fit and under less stress.

Still slightly out of shape but the other side bracket has to be done yet and the suspension is in a hanging position so once back on its wheels these should secure the bar nicely.

and finally the ARB link is almost done, this is a test fit, it will have rubber boots filled with grease fitted over the rose joints when completed

Last edited by 820Vitesse on Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Nice work there Jim! The OE ARB rubbers tend to get a bit squished as well as they are so near the bend in the bar. That little "side-shift" you've done seems to have cured that! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Have you given any thought to the other bushes on the rear suspension? I have fully polybushed my front end and improved the links, which really makes a difference, but there is hardly anything available for the rear, even standard parts. My trailing arm bushes feel especially soft, I've wondered about making some from polyurethane rod.

Any thoughts?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:43 pm

All my fronts are done and I want to do all the rear bushes but as you say nothing available, I did consider pulling it all apart to send off the bushes for plans but this can lead to a long term immobilized car. I am considering buying new bushes for plans but that gets expensive.
I was surprised how worn the bushes are, with the spring and shock removed it is more obvious.
What I need is some old suspension parts, maybe someone has some spare to lend or allow me to remove the old bushes, I could get this done then or least see if some can be matched to whats already available.
I will do a seperate post for old bushes or arms etc see if I can get something done.

Back to the old Vitesse, I fitted the other side ARB bracket and the bushes are fine, you could get away with not doing what I have done as it is designed a tight fit at the bend to locate the bar anyway and prevent sideways movement, the bracket on the O/S also needs a corner taken off to clear the ABS sensor lead cover fixing screw, just a few mm.
So it is safe to say those bushes and bracket in the link above are a good replacement for the standard bracket and bush on the 21mm bar.

To add to that Gaz now have the dimensions to build rear shock absorbers for the 800, if anyone needs a pair of adjustable or non adjustable they have my drawings and dimension for the standard and shortened version I had made, these would fit a standard car to.

Is there a section to post links for replacement parts difficult to find or NLA, maybe they could go there, I could probably find a few other useful links to parts I have replaced and had made.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:15 pm

Try this thread Jim for difficult parts :

http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11934
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 am

Just re-read your post Jim and realised you were looking for somewhere to put links for difficult to find parts, rather than places where you might find them.

Either way, that would be a handy place to add the ARB bushes you've found, the shock absorbers etc as strictly speaking they're not Rover or pattern parts but parts that will do the job.

All things being equal i'm hoping to pick up a late model, low mileage spares car (or the remains of anyway) in the not too distant future which could potentially be a source of bushes to be used as patterns, i think i also have a couple of old trailing arms loafing around with bushes on that could maybe be used for making pattern bushes.

Somewhere i also have some 85 Shore Hardness cold cure polyurethane which i was going to make moulds for to recreate things like the ARB bushes. It's probably past it's shelf-life now sadly but it may still prove the moulds - when i eventually get round to making them!
Same goes for the trailing arms bushes which might be easier to make moulds for.

To put 85 Shore into perspective, it's about the same as the hardest Superflex or similar bushes and most car tyres are about 60 on the same scale as are "normal" bushes.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:25 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Just re-read your post Jim and realised you were looking for somewhere to put links for difficult to find parts, rather than places where you might find them.

Either way, that would be a handy place to add the ARB bushes you've found, the shock absorbers etc as strictly speaking they're not Rover or pattern parts but parts that will do the job.

All things being equal i'm hoping to pick up a late model, low mileage spares car (or the remains of anyway) in the not too distant future which could potentially be a source of bushes to be used as patterns, i think i also have a couple of old trailing arms loafing around with bushes on that could maybe be used for making pattern bushes.

Somewhere i also have some 85 Shore Hardness cold cure polyurethane which i was going to make moulds for to recreate things like the ARB bushes. It's probably past it's shelf-life now sadly but it may still prove the moulds - when i eventually get round to making them!
Same goes for the trailing arms bushes which might be easier to make moulds for.

To put 85 Shore into perspective, it's about the same as the hardest Superflex or similar bushes and most car tyres are about 60 on the same scale as are "normal" bushes.
Ok sounds like a plan, thanks
Jim

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Little update, its been slow over Christmas and new year but getting a few more bits together to replace the rear shock turrets so the coilover shocks can be fitted.
4.5" steel tubing, wide enough for the shock and spring.

Plans for the base plates

The base plates and top inserts with a slotted bolt hole to allow for camber fine tuning.

and just pressed together ready for welding

A little idea I had while sitting around twiddling my thumbs over Christmas, it is to recreate the view from Tony Ponds 827 Vitesse when he lapped the IOM in 1990.

This was on board my Vitesse at Brands Hatch 2015, so I have made an ESSO Unleaded logo as on Tony's dash and treated myself to a pair of blue and white rally gloves, all in honour of the great man for next time I get some on board video.

and the gloves
Last edited by 820Vitesse on Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:18 am

Nice work on the shock turrets! :D

Of course to truly recreate the Tony Pond view, you'd have to hoof your car round the TT circuit - or drive round at normal speed with the video set to record at say 1/3 normal speed so when it's played back it looks like you're doing 150mph round it!

I wonder if the powers that be on the IOM would let a motorcade of 800s drive round the circuit in 2020 for the 30th anniversary of Pondys record breaking drive?
Shame his original car now has a T-series turbo instead of the C27 but at least it exists - i belive there is a forum member still in touch with the owner of it so maybe he could arrange for the car itself to be present. I have photos of it somewhere and in fact the wheels on my Sterling served duty on it during its life as a Thruxton Pace Car after it had done its record dash.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Re: Re: 1994 BRG Vitesse Fastback

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 am

Very cool this topic! Thanks for sharing.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Nice work on the shock turrets! :D

Of course to truly recreate the Tony Pond view, you'd have to hoof your car round the TT circuit - or drive round at normal speed with the video set to record at say 1/3 normal speed so when it's played back it looks like you're doing 150mph round it!

I wonder if the powers that be on the IOM would let a motorcade of 800s drive round the circuit in 2020 for the 30th anniversary of Pondys record breaking drive?
Shame his original car now has a T-series turbo instead of the C27 but at least it exists - i belive there is a forum member still in touch with the owner of it so maybe he could arrange for the car itself to be present. I have photos of it somewhere and in fact the wheels on my Sterling served duty on it during its life as a Thruxton Pace Car after it had done its record dash.
Yes those speeds in that type of spec car will never be achieved again, but wouldnt it be great to do the lap again with a bit of commentary and edited between the original and the present, 30th anniversary trip could be the time to do it.

Thanks Marc, I must find time to complete the first post.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Sounds a great idea, not sure how we'd get on with copyright etc on the original video but i'm sure there's a way round it. I think the first big thing would be to get the authorities on the IOM to agree to it. Would be good to do it on the exact anniversary date but if that doesn't fall on a weekend i think we'd have to go for the nearest weekend so more people could attend.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:09 am

Slow progress but getting there, the turrets are painted. The rear lower arms are finished with the spring seat removed and an extra tab welded on for the anti roll bar link, a coat of silver Hammerite and new bushes.

Turrets welded

The arm before

and cleaned up and painted.

Still waiting for a couple of small items so couldnt resist a picture of all the parts clean and painted ready for fitting, so it might actually be up and running again next month, thats the plan anyway.

Last edited by 820Vitesse on Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:05 am

More good work Jim, keep it up! :D Looking forward to the report of how the new rear shocks perform once fitted as well! :wink:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate