Just finished refitting my new gearbox.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Just finished refitting my new gearbox.

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Dave - After your warning on the rack, I did a bit more research and the accepted wisdom is that an Nasp 820 rod end won't fit a turbo rack. Even Rimmers and my factors said there was no part number carry over. I ordered some anyway (on sale or return :D ) and what do you know, they fit!

Paul - The driveshaft and seals changed at the point of the '95(?) facelift, but you can fit old pattern seals in a facelift box.

Also, passion fruit and peaches? As a Suffolk man, I thought you'd know that us Norfolk boys consider anything beyond a potato exotic.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Nuts4my827 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Question:

Is there anywhere other than Rimmers for the 'last' Vitesse Turbo Clutch kit?

Ebay and Euro Car Parts have come up empty

About to strip and rebuild by box as the bearings are noisy in the replacement box I got last year.

Cheers :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Nuts4my827 wrote:Question:

About to strip and rebuild by box as the bearings are noisy in the replacement box I got last year.

If you look at the pics on rimmers the OE kits are Valeo units. I sourced mine from APD, but my local Euro also offered me one but the price wasn't so good. I'll get the part no. off the box tomorrow so you can order from that.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Nuts4my827 wrote:Question:

Phil - sprechen sie Deutsch?
Ja? Sehr gut!

http://www.allbrit.de/UGCtree.cfm?Sprache=EN

They will respond to emails in English, not sure about over the phone as i've not tried. Best described as a German version of Rimmers (although not connected/affiliated/blah-blah etc with Rimmers) they had/have huge stocks of obsolete parts, sometimes the price is better than Rimmers, sometimes worse.

Alternatively, you could go down the route of fitting the diseasel crutch - let's face it, the original diesel was a loosely rebuilt "O" series which is after all the bottom end of all "M" and "T" series engines give or take a minor modification or three but i'm fairly sure the flywheels are the same, the gearbox input shafts the same and the same basic dimensions apply to the clutch components. Given that it's usually torque that strips a clutch out and a diesel lump is somewhere near the same as the "T" series turbo in terms of torque, i reckon it would be a good alternative.

Put another way - what Paul said! :D
traineefarmer wrote:Dave - After your warning on the rack, I did a bit more research and the accepted wisdom is that an Nasp 820 rod end won't fit a turbo rack. Even Rimmers and my factors said there was no part number carry over. I ordered some anyway (on sale or return :D ) and what do you know, they fit!

Paul - The driveshaft and seals changed at the point of the '95(?) facelift, but you can fit old pattern seals in a facelift box.

Also, passion fruit and peaches? As a Suffolk man, I thought you'd know that us Norfolk boys consider anything beyond a potato exotic.
Aside from the 827 (and early 825 Honda engine) racks, all other racks in the 800 range are interchangeable complete from car to car regardless of fuel or induction method. I'm not surprised you found the inner TREs fitted Tom, i just erred on the side of caution as it seems Rimmers and your tame factors have done. This is how things are found out like for example when i found Vauxhall/Daewoo 8v single wire Lambda sensors are the same as 827 Lambdas, just with a different plug but you have to be prepared to experiment a bit.
The clutch could be another case in point although it sounds like Paul has already done the experimentation.

Passion fruit? Peaches? Potatoes? Pomegranites? Pineapples? Paw-paws? What's with the fruit and veg stall? :shock: :o :?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 am

Cheers. Missed the post about KV6 clutches!

:)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 am

mrpcpc wrote:I just don't get you lot.

Someone here is saying the diesel clutch kit is the same size. 228mm

I'm saying the later 825 (KV6) is the same size (I have used one from a manual KV6 800 in my Vitesse Sport with no problems) both 228mm

If this is the case then why don't you suggest ordering one of these clutches ?

I'd recommend it as the KV6 is tried and tested in mine and I bet these one's are still in stock and cheaper. :roll:

Here's one I found on ebay inn less than 30 seconds, not sure if the price is ok though amnd it don't state the drive plate size...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/29102087 ... 108&ff19=0

and here's the cheaper one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16163076 ... 108&ff19=0 (225mm :roll: )

I suggest asking the question mind you. After all this is ebay.

This one looks to be saying it ij nthe listing title... (this is the one i'd go for)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Replacemen ... 486b64bde0

Apparently the Diesel clutch is 235mm ? :shock:
Maybe that's for the 825 diesel?

As for the clutches, each to their own, but I'd never recommend anyone to fit an unbranded clutch to their car or a national which is a budget brand. But that's just me.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am

I must have missed that Paul - it's a long time since i had anything to do with clutches and they still had asbestos in then. I knew asbestos had been outlawed but wasn't aware exotic fruits had been substituted. :shock:
Would i be right in thinking nectarines are no good due to not beginning with a "P" or would they be an alternative to peaches? Or perhaps they'd be no good because of the smooth skin - the furry skin of the peach is surely better in power transmission?

I misunderstood when you mentioned the 825 clutch, i thought it was the diesel 825 but for some reason i was thinking diesel = 2.0= Perkins Prima = "O" series diesel = forerunner to the "L" series diesel, totally forgetting about the VM offering which is also fitted to certain 4x4 vehicles that use cheese for fixing bolts that miraculously turns to cold-hardened tool steel once sheared, resisting all efforts to drill it even with HSS, cobalt, titanium drills although not yet tried tungsten carbide drills.

I wonder if this new "hard once sheared" property is made use of in the clutches, turning exotic fruits into granite with the grip of a gorilla to make an effective clutch plate?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:16 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:I misunderstood when you mentioned the 825 clutch, i thought it was the diesel 825 but for some reason i was thinking diesel = 2.0= Perkins Prima = "O" series diesel = forerunner to the "L" series diesel, totally forgetting about the VM offering which is also fitted to certain 4x4 vehicles that use cheese for fixing bolts that miraculously turns to cold-hardened tool steel once sheared, resisting all efforts to drill it even with HSS, cobalt, titanium drills although not yet tried tungsten carbide drills.
Are you having some issues with your Jeep? :D
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:18 pm

mrpcpc wrote:Maybe what is for the 825 diesel ??? :?
I don't know anymore. I think we may have left the original topic behind 2 pages ago. :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5