oops i've done it again...

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: oops i've done it again...

Post by dollysprint » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Depends which model you're converting, 2.7 or 2.0, neither are as easy as you would first think, or at least the list of parts are longer than you first think.

to give you an idea.
manual driveshafts
engine mounts
engine back plate
manual flywheel
complete clutch kit
clutch hydraulic pipes and hoses
clutch master cylinder
clutch slave cylinder
clutch pedal and cruise operating switch if fitted
brake pedal
engine ecu, ccu and matched fobs on the later 2 litres
modified wiring loom or manual wiring loom for reverse and inhibitor switch
bypass/remove auto box ecu on the 2.7's
coolant hoses and/or radiator
gear stick and surround
gear operating rod and stabiliser
exhaust heat shield for a manual
red battery lead from a manual
starter motor

Think that was most of it

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

torque2me
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by torque2me » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:56 pm

I take it there is a few leagal issues with it ;-) as two police cars and a police van (for the heavy bruisers) are in attendance. Or are they just viewing pending buying it?

Kev

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:51 pm

well my interior improvement program is well underway. Yesterday a huge box arrived full of goodies...

First things first, I set about making a decent fascia surround out of the two as mine was full of holes from a nasty sat nav mount that had been screwed to it and the 'wood' had faded badly..

And the result..

Next up replace, the knackered warped door cards and wood with the much nicer replacements...

1987 Rover 820E white diamond
Previous 800's…
1998 Rover 820 Sterling fastback
1997 Rover 825 Sterling KV6 saloon BRG
1995 Rover 827i Nightfire
1991 Rover 820 Turbo 16v saloon Nightfire
1987 Rover 820 Si Shantung gold

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 pm

it's starting to come together now, i've got my auto electrician coming to fit the new stereo next week..

Previous 800's…

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 pm

future plans include dropping the grey airbag steering wheel for a cream non-airbag, I know it's not original but they look so much better for it. The cream wheel is going to be sent off to be retrimmed as it's a bit tatty
Previous 800's…

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:38 pm

So I spent the day giving my wood a rub down....

I got the first few layers of knackered lacquer with a little detail sander connected to my trusty Lewis for dust extraction, because the amount of dust generated was phenomenal believe it or not

The lacquer is surprisingly thick, it took ages going at it with the sander with relatively course paper before I started making a dent in it

Once I got the worst off I worked my way down several grades of wet and dry until I was just nicking the veneer...

So after about 4 coats of lacquer it's not looking bad at all! It's kept it's colour which is nice and it's got a lovely shine back. I might have to take it down a coat with the wet and dry and re-do the last layer as I over did it with the lacquer towards the end and it's gone a bit drippy, but not bad for a first effort! and it's a million times better than it was

Previous 800's…

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:30 pm

Wow! Stunning work on the wood/lacquer! That was exactly the method i was thinking of trying but knowing as little as i do about wood and the lacquer for it, i didn't want to try without seeing someone elses efforts so thanks very much for being brave and trying it!

I'll definitely be giving it a go now, what sort of lacquer did you use? I was going to try some ordinary clear gloss aerosol type lacquer but don't know if that would be any good - works fine on the wheels though!

Back to thewood though, you've definitely given me the confidence and inspiration to try this method for myself, a big thank you! :wink: :D 8)
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:03 am

Would some form of paint stripper be easier and less damaging to the veneer?

Also does anyone know what technique was used by Rover to manufacture the veneers? I had a tour of Jaguar at Browns Lane in the late '90s and in the trim shop they made their veneers by forming layers of wood and a special plastic around a carrier plate in a hot press. No laquer was applied. The process was very fast and needed only production line trained staff.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:14 am

I have tried the rubbing down process on an old ash tray front with no luck. It appeared to have around 3-4 layers of lacquer as this can be seen as you break through, trade will know it as fish pool effect. Once you break trough the last layer it does not take much to destroy the thin veneer.

I know others have tried nitromorse and the like but I believe it didn't really strip like you would expect. The rubbing down process will work but is dependant on how deep the moisture has gone as Ryan has proved.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

hotfuzz87
Regular Visitor

Post by hotfuzz87 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:44 am

I thought i'd give it a go as it looked awful anyway so even if I did ruin it I wasn't too worried. It's turned out fine, good enough to put back in the car. I was just a bit heavy handed with the lacquer towards the end and it's run a bit so I'm going to have to take that back and do that coat again, then I'll use a bit of light rubbing compound to get rid of any minor imperfections and then with a polish it should be spot on hopefully.

I used bog standard Halfords clear aerosol lacquer, purely because that was all I had in the cupboard lol it seems to have done the job though.

I did have a little practice on one of the faded door pieces but I went down to far. But to be fair after it was lacquered it still looked pretty good, it was just lighter. It looked a bit like the veneer you used to get on the case on old tv's in the 70s lol

Previous 800's…

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:50 am

I know in the distant past coffee granules ground down fine have been added to lacquer to give a dark tint where needed. It is something I myself have never tried but the theory sounds OK..
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:27 am

According to Toms post above, the Jaguar used a hot press. I'm wondering if the plastic he refers to is some laminated lacquer with adhesive on one side, a bit like the adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing? Obviously not a shrinking lacquer but you get the idea i'm trying to convey?

I suppose if it all went completely and utterly horribly wrong, you could buy "peel and stick" veneer, strip the old wood down to just the metal former, steam the veneer to make it flexible and then fit it with clamps where needed then lacquer it after to create a omplete (except for the metal former) new piece.
If you were going that route you could use any wood you liked within reason from very light to very dark and/or use stains to alter the colour.

Still think the sand and lacquer method sounds a good plan to try though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:33 am

Hah - oh dear! The charcoal effect - all the latest in stolen/ recovered look or extreme rat-look!

Fablon?
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 am

mrpcpc wrote:As you can see after only half an hour in the oven the results are truly outstanding..

The technique used here also allows you to darken the wood surface to suit your own taste.

Cooking times may differ depending on your own oven :wink:
I like the effect you have created there, can I send you a full set of dash and door trims for treatment. I don't mind the non standard look :lol:

It does look as though the lacquer would be easy to remove now.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 am

mrpcpc wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:According to Toms post above, the Jaguar used a hot press.

Still think the sand and lacquer method sounds a good plan to try though.
I'm trying my approach this morning in the oven. :wink:

I'm not going to use the dash piece as its too far gone and probably will completely fall apart it it goes in the oven.

However, I have this piece from the passenger door which is in a similar but not quite as bad condition.

You can clearly see that the actual lacquer has lifted so I'm not expecting any to see any improvement.

We will see how well it goes after 280 degrees :roll:

As you can see after only half an hour in the oven the results are truly outstanding...

The technique used here also allows you to darken the wood surface to suit your own taste.

Cooking times may differ depending on your own oven :wink:

Blimey!!! Looks like my ex-wifes cooking! She treated me like a god giving me burnt offerings every night!

On a more serious note, i wonder if playing a heat gun over it would also revive the lacquer? Would be a bit more controllable and you could see what effect it had as it was doing it.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate