Yet another fuel filler neck reapir thread.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yet another fuel filler neck reapir thread.

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Facing yet another RUINED harvest day with this awful weather, I decided to retreat to the workshop to tackle my corroded fuel filler pipe.

Oh dear.

Some previous EPIC bodgery by me to try and keep water out of the tank.

I had bought a late '80s Honda Accord neck (pattern part) from the US which I think has been previously suggested by Scooby Dave. A side by side comparison shows the differences.

The Accord filler seems to be oriented for mounting of the opposite side of the car, most of the bends are wrong and it's far too long. I tried to save the vent pipe, but eventually cut it short and used rubber pipe as you will see later. I also tried to save the evaporation system on the new pipe, but while dismantling it to see what I could make of it, I found a little surprise. While the original Rover pipes have a "pipe within a pipe" the Honda ones were just brazed to the bottom of the larger pipe and did not pass very far up the larger tube. They acted as little more than Tee pieces. So....

I Went shopping for bits to re-engineer (bodge) the evaporation pipes.

Painted.

Anyone got shares in L Robinson and Co?
Lower joints for evaporation system.

Blurry photo of the final install. You can just see the vent pipe and the evaportaion pipe looped as high as I could get it above the filler pipe.

It all seems to work. I will report back if there are any issue with the vent and evaporation system.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Bigsimon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Yet another fuel filler neck reapir thread.

Post by Bigsimon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 am

Thats good work and a sensible solution on the evaporative pipe. I've been looking at solutions for this, as mines fuel tight for now..., but sooner or later its got to be tackled. I'm assuming the rover cap fits ok ?

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 pm

Yep, the "rover" cap is actually a honda cap so everything fits.

Do a search on the amazon US site for "Dorman 577-940" and look for a seller with cheap international postage. I found one delivered and taxes paid for under £70.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:14 pm

Good work there Tom, think i suggested a Legend pipe from the USA but the Accord seems to have done you proud.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Good work there Tom, think i suggested a Legend pipe from the USA but the Accord seems to have done you proud.
I was looking for a legend pipe, but the pattern part suppliers over there don't seem to list it in the catalogues. I think that some other honda pipes from cars of a similar vintage would do the job, but when looking I was most concerned that the fuel cap lugs, bolt pattern and outlet pipe were correct for the 800. What I didn't expect (and forgot to mention in the write-up) is the filler neck has the "unleaded nozzle restriction" and sprung flap inside.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 pm

The US has been unleaded for donkeys years (40+ to my knowledge) and they still have diesel (with the larger pump nozzle) so i would think it's fair to assume the nozzle restrictor would be there. That said you can't predict what other markets have or haven't got so whether your replacement came with it i don't know.

I think the Legend is also known as the Acura TL but i wouldn't be 100% sure - that's the pain in the bum with "foreign" markets! In fact, the other day i found what looked very like a Triumph Acclaim coupe marketed in 1982 in the USA as a Honda Prelude! Considering we didn't get a Prelude until about 86 and then a totally different car from the Acclaim it makes you wonder!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!