I've only gone and blown the bloody doors off

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: I've only gone and blown the bloody doors off

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:54 pm

For what it's worth, i know of other lambda sensors that have died when the car has tesco petrol put in, one (two sensors) case was as recently as last year. This has all been on 827s and there is the possibility that it's coincidence as it's a relatively small (reported anyway) sample of the quantity of cars out there.

Now it could very well be the sensors were on their last legs and using tescos (or any other "cheap" fuel may have pushed them over the edge, especially as all the cases involved having given the beast the beans immediately before the sensors snuffed it.

On a slightly different note, no matter what the vehicle or fuel (petrol or diesel) i've known many vehicles that get reduced economy on tesco fuel. I had a neighbour that owned a Volvo XC70 D5t that he was lucky to see about 27-29mpg from on tesco diesel. Ran it on BP Ultimate - minimum of 39mpg and he was using the extra grunt! He didn't belive in being light footed!
As for my own cars, on tesco i'm lucky to see 23mpg, even on their high octane stuff. On BP or even Sainsburys i usually get a minimum of 30mpg, except when i'm only pootling round the village in which case it does dip to about 26-27mpg except on Esso when it drops again to about 23mpg which until now i hadn't realised. Interesting point about tescos and Essos tie up Paul - you've got me wondering now!
Also if i run my lawnmower (yes, seriously!) on BP Ultimate, i can get both lawns done on less than a tankful. Use Esso and it takes about 2 tankfuls. I've yet to try Sainsburys in it but to be honest, i think it's more likely to get BO Ultimate in any case.

Once i've converted the cars to gas, i might convert the mower with the leftover bits - sure i can make a mixer from a yoghurt pot with papaer, glue and scissors! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jago » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:57 pm

actually I have noticed I am getting <23mpg in mine, but I assumed it was because I need to replace the auto fluid and I'm doing 7 miles to work
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:42 am

jago wrote:actually I have noticed I am getting <23mpg in mine, but I assumed it was because I need to replace the auto fluid and I'm doing 7 miles to work
That's a bit painful! The ATF will help but also are you getting torque converter lock up in top? If not the 'stat may be weak. A good option is to upgrade the 'stat to a 216/416 'stat as it runs about 10 deg hotter (88C instead of 78C as the standard 827 'stat is :shock: :roll: ) which not only gives you the heater output you're meant to have but more volumetric efficiency from the engine too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291531339648? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Also try running on BP Ultimate for a while, if nowt else you'll build your Nectar points quicker! Once you've bought enough (think it's 100L in 3 months) you go onto double points for Ultimate.

Have you still got the cat on it? If so fitting a decat will help - could always use the cat off the dead Sterling and knock the innards out - many scrappies will pay you for the inside of a cat so might even get a few quid back after too!

The other thing is, if you drive it like you stole it then you'll never get good economy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jago » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:50 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
jago wrote:actually I have noticed I am getting <23mpg in mine, but I assumed it was because I need to replace the auto fluid and I'm doing 7 miles to work
That's a bit painful! The ATF will help but also are you getting torque converter lock up in top? If not the 'stat may be weak. A good option is to upgrade the 'stat to a 216/416 'stat as it runs about 10 deg hotter (88C instead of 78C as the standard 827 'stat is :shock: :roll: ) which not only gives you the heater output you're meant to have but more volumetric efficiency from the engine too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291531339648? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Also try running on BP Ultimate for a while, if nowt else you'll build your Nectar points quicker! Once you've bought enough (think it's 100L in 3 months) you go onto double points for Ultimate.

Have you still got the cat on it? If so fitting a decat will help - could always use the cat off the dead Sterling and knock the innards out - many scrappies will pay you for the inside of a cat so might even get a few quid back after too!

The other thing is, if you drive it like you stole it then you'll never get good economy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lock up is ok I think, but sharp on gear change though, I will have a look at the stat and see what temperature it is running at, but it warms nice and quickly at the moment :)

yeah i'll try another fuel supplier for a while and see how it goes..

I cant drive it like I stole it all the way to work as people slow me down ;)
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

soundrediscover
Regular Visitor

Post by soundrediscover » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 pm

interesting the experiences with different petrol brands, back in the day when I were a lad I thought it was just one of my Dad's urban myths - he swore by Esso as the only petrol for his Triumph 2000 estate, then we had the 70's petrol/oil and suddenly price became more of a issue :) (nothing like today of course...)
I recently stood behind a bloke who was obviously a taxi driver bemoaning the change at our local fill up from BP to Harvest - largely on a similar vein to what has been observed here, less mpg etc.
Always very tricky to compare in reality as it depends on so many different things, the Ultimate choice (did you see what I did there?) will be a personal one sometimes based on research, often (as in my case) a perception and preference which is 'hunch' (good word!!) or instinct with no scientific supporting evidence.

PS Similar to Jago, my short journey to work is slowed down by speed bumps, housebuilders and other road users......
Rock On!

Ian

soundrediscover
Regular Visitor

Post by soundrediscover » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 pm

oh, and good advice about the lambda removal/replacement....
cheers all :)
Rock On!

Ian