The latest in a long line

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The latest in a long line

Post by dollysprint » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 am

Simon Hubbard wrote:Great news on the MOT Dave, thanks for the posts I have enjoyed the thread.
Thanks Simon, I hope members find this sort of thing useful, if I had time I would do many more especially now I have one of these smart phone things :)

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Sounds like a fault speed sensor on the gearbox Dave - can't remember which one but if memory serves correctly there are 2 speed sensors (in addition to the speedo sensor) that give information back to the EAT ECU. If one of these isn't working then cruise won't work and i suspect it won't go into 4th either.
Might be worth interrogating the EAT ECU to see if it's not picking up a particular speed sensor.

*** EDIT *** Just had a look through and the two sensors i'm on about are the mainshaft and countershaft pick-ups located on the end cover on the top of it soleft hand side of the car close to the N/S chassis rail and driveshaft.
Can't find anything as yet on fault finding to give you more of an idea though.

Good news on the MoT too - well done!!! :D
Thanks Dave, I shall plug in the EAT Fastcheck before I do anything but there are no LED's on the gearbox ECU so whether it will find anything I don't know. The change quality of the available gears improved significantly just on the 20 mile round trip to the MOT station but I'll clean the change and lock-up solenoids first. The 2 sensors you mention, mainshaft and countershaft pick up are always complete pigs to remove after 22 years of service. If push comes to shove I do have several spare boxes.

Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:00 am

Hope you find the fault Dave, after all the hard work you've put in it takes the shine off it somewhat! It could simply be dirty pick ups on the shafts and a bit of use will clean them naturally as it were, Also the cruise might be a stuck servo - i know the servo on my coupe sticks if i've not used cruise for a few days and is then "lazy" to pick the throttle up for the first one or two uses. After that it's fine and lubing it hasn't helped much.

Also might be worth putting a hotter 'stat in from the 216/416 (89-96) as it was a dealer option anyway and helps to ensure the engine gets warm enough to allow the torque converter lock up to function. Think the cut off point is something like 72C and if the original 78C 'stat is weak, the engine is probably only getting to 70C and the TC won't lock up. Had that on several cars now (some Rovers with Honda engines/boxes and a couple of Hondas too) and a hotter 'stat cured it and gave me a better heater and faster warm up too!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTH322-Thermo ... Sw3ydV7U3M

That should be the right one although it's listed as 82C and i thought it was 88C but hey, it's hotter than standard! Why the cooler 'stat was fitted for the UK climate i'll never know but it was!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Here's the final instalment
The car flew through it's MOT as previously mentioned, but showed up 2 issues during it's first tarmac trip in 10 years, cruise inop and an auto box that wouldn't change gear and was seemingly stuck in 3rd gear.
If you recall at the beginning of this thread I mentioned the car had big electrical issues, namely next to none of the circuits worked. A CCU swap sorted most of them as stated, but it doesn't operate the auto box. The gearbox has its own ECU or TCU (transmission control unit).It looks like this

It lives under the window/sunroof ECU which both live under the passenger seat, and like the engine ECU has it's own diagnostic system in the form of a viewing window and flashing L.E.D. Now given I had an auto box that wouldn't change gear you would think this ECU would be flashing like mad, but no nothing. I also had the S4 light permanently on instead of flashing. These 2 things convinced me that this wasn't an autobox issue but was confined to its control unit, in other wards it was electrical not mechanical.
No problem I thought, lets plug in one of these

Problem................................................................................

The Fastcheck plugs are different to the ECU plugs..................bugger. Whilst chatting to a fellow member, 2 part numbers became evident..................

This being the ECU on the car, ending in 021, the other version ends just 01 and the Fastcheck only fits the 01 version!!

So hunt for a spare ECU, I knew I had one but I also knew it would be the earlier version, fellow member to the rescue with a spare ECU.

Once that was plugged in, voila, one working auto transmission and the cruise control was just a sticking switch. One fully functional 827 Auto Coupe :D

So what had gone wrong with the gearbox ECU???? Dismantling revealed the problem..................

I apologise for the pics but the evidence of burning is obvious on the casing. Whilst there is also evidence of water damage on the casing I will never know if it caused the short that fried the ECU.

Whilst researching the 2 types of ECU's an american site also revealed something I never knew, If the ECU fails the Honda box will default to 3rd gear only as a get you home measure, learning all the time 8)

My gratitude goes to Steve Grogan, who not only allowed me to own this piece of automotive brilliance but went above and beyond to supply any part to fix her that I didn't have, a true gent.

Finished.

Dave

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Well done Dave, good work! Now the hard work really begins! :wink:

I kid you not, getting mine ready for MoT and a basic service (just the oil and filter change alone got it running quietly on all 6 pots instead of 4 pots and sounding like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer!) and a few other minor jobs before the test was the easy bit! Since then i've unearthed all the "stupid" faults that previous owners have either lived with, ignored or just haven't known existed like the rear tracking being out - no wonder it went through a pair of front tyres every year/few thousand miles!

Then there were the bodges. Like a Jewsons 22mm isolation valve serving duty as a heater valve, a bit of 10mm bore hose on the ATF cooler pipes where they are steel 8mm OD with the Jubilee clips over-tightened to try and prevent ATF pumping out. That was just 2 of them - the list goes into pages!

I really hope you haven't got a car that has had the same kind of "care" as mine previously had but either way they're both in good hands now!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!