My Rover 800 Vitesse

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Deacond
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Rover 800 Vitesse

Post by Deacond » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello Chaps,

Ive had my 800 a couple of months and thought its about time i joined.

but you have to remember its a 19 year old Rover and therefore its full of Faults that need sorting.

Body wise its good. It needs a dam good polish but it makes quite a good account for itself.

Inside its fantastic hardly any dash lift.

Ill update this as I go but I went through the car and made a list of all the stuff I need to sort or have sorted

Sorted

Rear bumper adjusted
Electric Window Switch pack changed and lazy lock fixed
All the speakers... totally shot! - replaced all 4 with alpine units and a bluetooth stereo
Main Beam,handbrake, Left indicator and Hazard Light Tale tells now fixed!
Lots of blown bulbs around interior.
Recirculation flap
Passenger door facia trim rehung
The Rear view mirror now present and correct
Drivers door mirror replaced
Map light cluster resoldered and now works!
Tiny bit of welding required to sill now done

To sort

Exhaust Taps something on the rear probably roll bar.
Heated rear window not working
ABS light on intermittently ( need to do the self check)
Small exhaust blow when hot
Mop and polish
Speedo goes on strike ( very annoying)
New Buttons required for the key thobs

I hope you like!

Cheers all.

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My Rover 800 Vitesse

Post by rovercoup » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Welcome aboard the flagship forum with your lovely looking Vitesse. You seem to have tackled most of the 800 foibles with only just a few left to do. You will find plenty of advice and help if you need it, but it looks like you know what your doing there.

thanks for posting up the photos as its always nice to see other peoples cars.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Deacond

Post by Deacond » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:48 pm

Posted in incorrect subject
Last edited by Deacond on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Welcome, certainly seem to have most of the usual 800 faults there and as said your in the right place.

Looking good so far 8)

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, nice vitesse you have there.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Welcome aboard with your nice looking Vitesse!

If you have an electric oven in the kitchen, set it to about 60-70C and get the speedo sensor out of the car. Put it in the oven for about 40-45 minutes and remove. Let it cool down and refit it.
I'm guessing the car was stood for a while before you got it based on this bit about the speedo? I usually have to do the same with my Sterling speedo sensor if i haven't used it for a while, done it several times now.

Give it a try and see - you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work if the sensor is already intermittent and everything to agin if it does work.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Is the same speedo sensor used in the Honda unit as the rover t series then?
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:39 pm

Your Vitesse is keeping some very good company in that driveway! And in credit to the condition of the car, it doesn't look out of place.

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the fault list, old cars are boring when everything is working.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Deacond

Post by Deacond » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:01 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Welcome aboard with your nice looking Vitesse!

If you have an electric oven in the kitchen, set it to about 60-70C and get the speedo sensor out of the car. Put it in the oven for about 40-45 minutes and remove. Let it cool down and refit it.
I'm guessing the car was stood for a while before you got it based on this bit about the speedo? I usually have to do the same with my Sterling speedo sensor if i haven't used it for a while, done it several times now.

Give it a try and see - you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work if the sensor is already intermittent and everything to agin if it does work.

Interestingly I put the part number in search before I saw this post and cooked the sensor earlier today.

I'm pleased to report my speedo now works !

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Excellent news, another problem solved! :D Just don't let the missus know you're doing it or near the oven at the time! :wink: :lol:

Never worked out exactly why it works or why some sensors are prone to this problem and others not. I suspect that either :

1) there are poor solder joints and the heat of the oven is just enough to reflow them or more likely...........

2) the glue round the edge between the top and bottom parts of the casing isn't perfect and there are holes where moisture can get in. The heat from the oven being more concentrated and even than the engine bay (possibly hotter in terms of direct heat on the sensor) evaporates the moisture leaving the sensor dry and working. Normally in regular use the warmth of the engine bay will boil off that moisture but if it's left a while, the moisture builds up to the point the sensor doesn't work.

Next time i have to do mine, i'll put some heatshrink sleeving and glue round the join afterwards and see if that fixes it permanently.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:03 pm

Welcome!
Wow that is a lovely looking machine!!
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.