did i do the right thing

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
midnite
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

did i do the right thing

Post by midnite » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:32 pm

right guys, short update as been on holiday and am ultra busy on a flat refurb, today i painted the last inner arch suspension area with hammerite, i decided to scrape of some rusty blobs in the top left area of the roof line windscreen rubber where it meets the top of the a pillar, there are only 2 smallish ones but i scraped of and compounded out the rust staining, kurrusted it and painted the silver and lacquer on to make it look more presentable, anyway i peeled back the rubber seal that runs all the way from the top of the wing up the a pillar along the roof down to the rear quarter window, to my horror its filled with wet shite and the lip it fits on to has rust in the seam and in about 5 places on both drivers and passengers.

so what i did, was compounded the worst off the seams and that did make it look 10 times better, i kurrusted it, painted and lacquered it, i cleaned out the rubber seals of poo and grime/slime/moss etc, and then i sprayed a thin stream of lithium grease into the seal which squeezes over the seam, my idea is it will keep water off the seam and hence won't want to rust so quickly, but after 25 years of never being cleaned, i dint think it was to bad, but was the grease a good idea guys?

really glad i looked today, its the worst rust on the car actually.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: did i do the right thing

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Grease is great for keeping out the corrosion, as long as you dried the area well first. It can trap moisture as well as keep it out.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 am

One place I've never really checked, paranoid now. Bit of a job taking windscreen out on these, am I right thinking they are bonded in and probably wouldn't come out in one piece?
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

stanker
Regular Visitor

Post by stanker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:36 am

Hi Slamm

They will come out in one piece.

Regards

Ian

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm

i tried to get the windscreen out on my 827 breaker, but it cracked almost straight away, with the rubber seal it comes off without messing about with the windscreen anyway, but what I'm going to do is get my jet washer and gently spray all round the windscreen seal so to get all the goo out and then I'm going to get my can of spray wax with a straw on it and gently spray wax all in that gap then wipe off any over spray, that way when the wax has dried aint no more goo getting in there.

next up is my sunroof aperture lip, thats got some corrosion and i want to sort that fairly quickly, but been lucky really, even where the drain holes drop all the leaves into the bottom of the wings, the wings were a1, all waxoyled and hammerited now as well.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i