When alloys go BAD...

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

When alloys go BAD...

Post by Captain Sensible » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:02 pm

It's been a busy few months for me and XOG...A highlight was taking him to the NEC Classic, a low point was getting stung for a new exhaust, CV boots and steering rack at the MoT.

One thing I had noticed was both front tyres loosing psi at an unacceptable rate. The nearside was loosing it at a much faster rate than the the offside, but I've recently replaced all four tyres - they had reached the end of their lives anyway, and I was getting fed up with visiting the air machine all the time at the Shell garage.

I thought this would solve the problem - but they are still loosing pressure at the same rate as before, which points to leaky alloys. Can a refurb fix this or is it best to ditch them and get a new set? Is anyone selling a nice set of 15" alloys or even some steelies?

I have some 16s" but I want to get my monies worth out the new tyres first!

Dickie524
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: When alloys go BAD...

Post by Dickie524 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Full aloy reburb will fix this. If you have the tyres kocked off the rims you will probably see where they are leaking from first. You can rescue them by wire-brushing back and painting the chips - I have one wheen on that has had this treatment a couple of years ago.

But I can get wheels refurbed locally for £25 each (blast and powder coat) which gives an excellent finish. But I get the tyres knocked off first. Cosmetic refurbs sometime just break the outer face bead of the tyre off and paint the visible side - meaning it might still leak, if the leak is on the inner-facing side.

As I didn't have a set of spare wheels I did mine one at a time.
Last edited by Dickie524 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:57 pm

Very helpful, thanks Dickie.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:22 pm

A decent tyre fitting place should've cleaned up the surface of the rim before fitting the new tyres.

Where did you have them done?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Hellfruads - they came up cheaper by about £50! They did clean it up, and I know this because I watched them like a Hawk.

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm sure they did, but there's a difference between a good scrub with a hand-held wire brush, and getting a spinning whizzy one on the end of your drill/ grinder, takeing a while per rim, getting everything loose off, then painting it all neatly to build the surface back up.

As I say, try a powder coaters. That, plus getting the tyres knocked off, then rebuilt, has cost me a total of 4x (£25+£7) = £130 for the full set. (in four hits).

I'm afraid it's almost inevitable with older alloy wheels...
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:01 pm

Just in case they should still leak a bit post refurb, bead seal works too. It is possible to have this done pretty invisibly.
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:11 pm

Another method of fixing the leak is Tyreweld - when the tyre has lost some pressure, squirt some in and drive to the Shell garage, pump up to the correct pressure and give it a few miles driving round to get the tyreweld to all the leaks. Works in the same way as bead sealer but quicker, cheaper and easier.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:43 pm

£130 for all four corners ain't too bad at all, they all need a refurb anyway so I shall try that before Tyrewelding them - cheers for the hint Dave :)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:46 pm

You're welcome Sam - £130 for all 4 wheels refurbed??? Seriously? Missed Richards post about a powder coater but that's what i tried locally and it came to a lot more than that.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!