Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

gyrobird
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827 Si Saloon

Post by gyrobird » Sun May 08, 2016 6:01 am

Its nice to be extravagant and get that new filler, especially so that your 827 looks so good in fairness.

Bolting on new bits looks to be the only things you need to do.

The thing though with that filler pipe is in reality none of those capillaries are needed, well, apart from the displacement vent pipe and even then there is a valve on the top of the tank that does the venting although the pumps at the petrol station fill way to fast for either to work in time anyway.

If the neck is savable, it could actually be repaired with dot rated hose and just one main pipe for fuel. The rest are simply Rovers efficiency and legislative additions.

It would however be a modification in the eye's of an insurance company now matter how trivial it seemed and higher premiums if it wasn't how Rover intended.

So ! in summary, the filler neck you bought is rather cheap really. :wink:

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:32 pm

More bits to bolt or double sided sticky tape on!

Number plates, made to replicate the originals. Special sizes and with the Rover badge and BS AU 145a on them.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Now i'm really jealous!!! :mrgreen: Where did you get them from??? :?

Seriously, some years back i renewed the plates on my Sterling, similar to what you've got there but without the full size rear plate or the Rover logo. I couldn't find anywhere at the time that made the full size rear plates. :cry: I need a set for my coupé soon and if those are available then i might just as well get them instead.
I fitted the ones on my Sterling with "trim tape" which has held extremely well but i did use plenty! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:57 pm

I got them from DMB graphics.

http://www.dmb.uk.com/

I emailed Dave photos of mine and all the measurements, he then sent me some screen shots of prototypes so i could make sure i was happy with all the spacing and type face and then he made them up. Very happy. I tried fancyplates.com as recommended by mjc9967 but i never got a reply to my email. Im not sure they are still trading?

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:44 pm

They look very nice! Might need to consider a new set for my Mk1 as I didn't get the badges quite right on mine.

How much were they?
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:53 pm

£29.95 posted. Cheaper than standard plates from Halfords!

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Mon May 09, 2016 7:13 pm

n1tr0_9 wrote:£29.95 posted. Cheaper than standard plates from Halfords!
Looks like these people might get a few calls in the next few days. 8)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 pm

gyrobird wrote:
n1tr0_9 wrote:£29.95 posted. Cheaper than standard plates from Halfords!
Looks like these people might get a few calls in the next few days. 8)

What he said! ^^^^^ :wink: :D

Thanks for the information, daresay he has yours saved as some sort of template so i could ask for what you had but obviously with my reg number. :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Yes. The only other difference is that the rear should have had square corners but mine are slightly rounded, so if you do get some make sure you ask for that.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:13 pm

On the Mk1 the squared corners look good and suit the "sharper" lines, mine being a Mk2 and slightly more rounded, i'll go for the rounded corners but thanks for the heads up on that! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:08 pm

I'll be emailing him for a larger rear plate too!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

n1tr0_9
Regular Visitor

Post by n1tr0_9 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:09 pm

I had a great bank holiday weekend with the perfect mix of family, girlfriend, tasty food, and car bodging. Not often do things work out that well. Here is a run down jobs I did on the car.

First off I put on my new number plates. The originals were an advisory on the MOT and really let the car down. I bought some decent 3M double side foam tape and cleaned and degreased the area so they shouldn't be falling off in the car wash.

New VS Old

EtVoila!

Then I trail fitted some series 2 Rover 800 Vitesse wheels. I got these off ebay some time ago. They have been powder coated in black and are in dire need of a refub, but there isn't any really bad corrosion. I think I will get them done in the original silver, although the black does look better than I thought it would.

Then I started investigating the rotten fuel filler neck. It was very crusty and although I wasn't looking forward to this job, I got stuck in.

Access isn't great as the small pipes disappear under the chassis rail towards the fuel tank. The clips are the spring type rather than jubilee clip, so they weren't too difficult to remove. However it was quite tricky to get the rubber pipes of as they were pretty old and had hardened over their respective beaded pipes. So I sprayed them all liberally with WD40.

Ummmmmm crusty!

New vs Old

I was very happy to find the inner arch all solid. No rusty holes as I have seen on some cars, and the single bolt that holds the pipe to the inner arch unscrewed without shearing. Result! I did find some surface rust near the damper top mount so I sanded it off, rust treated it, etch primer it and painted it body colour green

I did a trial fit of the pipe. I was impressed with the quality and the fit of the flange at the top, the main filler pipe profile. The manufacturer had deliberately left longer tails on the small vapour control pipes, and I knew they would need cutting down. The problem was the orientation of some of the smaller pipes and the overflow pipe. They interfered with the rubber elbow for the main pipe into the fuel tank. So lots of gentle bending of pipes and hacksawing followed by three or four trial fits and I was pretty close to perfect.

Next came the ultra frustrating part of reconnecting up all of the pipes and securing them with jubilee clips. This was painful on the hands and fingers as I kept basing them into thinks. In the future if I ever remove the fuel tank ill do it all again and probably remove the carbon canister and all these small pipes.

All back together.

So after all that aggravation I decided to fit a shiny new K&N filter which took about 5 minutes and put a smile on my face. Plus I got a sticker! Im tempted to fit it to the rear window in a cheesy 1990's max power style.

Then I moved onto the brakes. Since buying the car the brakes have been a bit pants. They work, but don't feel particularly powerful. With that in mind I have been buying the parts as and when they came up on ebay.

Being an early 827 this car is fitted with the larger 285 mm front discs. All the later cars, or so I am led to believe are 267 mm including the 200 bhp Vitesse's. I heard this was due to the big discs warping? But im not sure. Maybe it was a cost thing. Anyhow, it was more problematic getting decent quality large front discs that weren't too much money. But I got lucky, some new old stock genuine Brembos for £50 the pair.

I took the calipers off and gave them a clean up. The passenger side was fine but the driver side was crap with some minor pitting to the piston and it was full of horrible dirt and old bake brake fluid. This was the caliper that was sticking. I was going to replace them both until I realised that the calipers for the big discs are different to the other Rover 800 calipers. So im persevering with these. After a clean up I gave them a coat of red caiper paint. I also fitted new front brake hoses, new bleed nipples, and new banjo bolts and copper washers. The guide were cleaned up with new silicone grease and new stainless slider plates.

While I was under the car I decided to fit new antiroll bar drop links which were supplied with the car. The originals were shot and the bolts shared as I unbolted them. Fortunately the actual ARB bushes were good. I think they may have been recently replaced.

I ground off all the rust and gave it a coat of polyurethane semi flexy red paint then refitted it to the car.

Looking back I got quite a lot done on the car. Rather annoyingly the front right caliper is still misbehaving, so today I ordered rebuild kits including pistons for both from calipers, so next time ill strip and rebuild with new seals and new pistons. That should sort the problem for good. I also have new master cylinder on the way and new rear discs and pads to fit.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:32 pm

That's a good amount of work, well done! :wink: :D

You're right about the larger 285mm discs, the "official" reason they were discontinued was they warped as they weren't wide enough to cope with the diameter, should have been thicker really. I know several people have suffered warpage on them so it could be true.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:23 am

Good work, the plates make a huge difference.

You can use 262mm calipers on 285mm carriers if you decide to go that way.

I had quite a few sets of 285s warp over the years, I found grooved discs much more reliable.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 pm

is that a standard roll bar james, and get those wheels painted, that black is a no no, either silver or grey mate.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i