Swapping MEMS on a 2.5 KV6 Sterling

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rovernow8
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Swapping MEMS on a 2.5 KV6 Sterling

Post by rovernow8 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:39 pm

Both fans have stopped working on my 2.5 KV6 Sterling. Having checked the voltage going to the fans it keeps varying wildly. Before checking all the sensors I have working spare Sterling I'm now going to use for parts so thought I'd check the MEMS unit by swapping over. The engine won't start and I'm sure I have to swap one or two other items over so the key is recognised and it the engine will start.
Does anyone know what these parts are to make a swap work.
I don't want to swap engines!!
Many thanks for any help

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Swapping MEMS on a 2.5 KV6 Sterling

Post by dollysprint » Tue May 31, 2016 8:56 pm

Engine ECU, Central control unit and fob are all matched. I would doubt this is an ECU problem to be honest, probably CTS which tells the ECU when to supply the fans. The fans effectively run on 6 volts to obtain slow speed and 12 volts for fast speed. The CTS (coolant temp sensor) works on resistance = engine temperature=signal to the ECU parallel or series circuit to the fans via the fan relay. If you pull the connector off the CTS with the car running, not easy on a KV6, do the fans come on?

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

turbotazame

Post by turbotazame » Tue May 31, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah it'll only start with matching CPU ecu and flops as above more then likely coolant temp switch sinse your getting unsteady voltage readings possibly just fan realys

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:09 am

As far as i know, the later cars have the fan motor speed controlled by the MEMS ECU so the two choices are ECU or CTS assuming the wiring is ok - could be worth checking all the connectors for corrosion, especially if it has been steam-cleaned under the bonnet at any point in its life.

If all else fails, you could convert it to the original sort of fan control by getting a coolant hose adaptor for a radiator fan switch (there's a dual one with 4 pins/2 switches inside at the right temperatures, think it's either a Scorpio or Omega switch originally) then you just need a dual relay and duplicate what Rover did originally. Should be more reliable, if not original on a later car.
I discovered this recently as i was thinking of fitting a later manual radiator to mine with a separate ATF cooler, got the links somewhere if that helps but it would take a while to find them again.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovernow8

Post by rovernow8 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks for replies, much appreciated.
Switched MEMS and CCU with key fob and started 1st time as usual.
However, fans still not working, so def not the MEMS as everything worked on other Sterling. With my older Sterling, Engine mileage much higher and rust appearing underneath left hand side (even though the underneath was coated with everything almost from new) so have decided to use for parts. The engine would still start first time after not being used for a year! Amazing engine in that way the KV6.
Will try the CTS.
regards

rovernow8

Post by rovernow8 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Well, have the Haynes Manual which shows where the CTS should be but I can't say I see anything like it. I can see the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor, but nothing like the Coolant Temperature Sensor. Interesting, the layout of my October 98 Sterling (the one being retired) is slightly different from my September 99 Sterling. In any case, a CTS is not readily evident.
What have I missed?

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:34 pm

I could never find it either....
Didn't fancy striping out all the pipes and wiring to get to where it was supposed to be :(

Drove it for 6 months with no fans, trying to avoid heavy traffic.

and then one day they started working again :)

Weird thing though... I run a live feed into the connector plug on the fan to power the fans directly ,
I only used this when I hit heavy traffic
but strangely enough as soon as I flicked the switch to power the fans the temp guage jumps up straight away...

How can that happen ? :/
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

turbotazame

Post by turbotazame » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Try chasing the wires back there has to be a relay somewhere, failing that wire in an independent fan control kit like a kenlowe for around £60 there a lot more dependable then standard items and the benefit of being adjustable itll take 2-3 hours to wire in properly and you can still use the standard fans