Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Post by Charles827si » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:41 am

Charles827si wrote:Last week I gave the car a proper clean/jet wash after going to the Longbridge Club meeting. Unfortunately, returning back home I buckled the wheel not long before joining the motorway. I wasn't able to do anything about it, since the wrench was pretty useless, and calling the RAC twice was non helpful, due to being bizarrely cut-off twice. Anyway, good news is, this is being taken care of, and I will have a 5th spare wheel, like I had before when I bought 5 Avon tyres for the five 17" wheels I had refurbed last year.

Today, I left the Rover with my mechanic at the local garage (great classic car guy) as I have been quite busy overall today and will be for a while over the next few weeks with various things.
He has been very busy himself today with a newish Vauxhall Vectra that won't behave with its gearbox, which he is having to dismantle again (he aint to happy with that car!)

So hopefully tomorrow, or when he can, will be fitting the Unipart (new old stock) non-catalyst centre section. Should give me abit peppier motorway performance, quieter idle perhaps.
Simon will be checking the car properly after last Saturdays incident, and doing a 4-wheel aligning. I've lost 'track' myself of the amount of times this has been done now lol! More recently it was only last October at National Tyres when I had my new Avon Tyres fitted to the Vit 17" wheels.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:50 am

This was before the pothole incident at Longbridge (my first time believe of not to ever visit). There are 350 engineers working in the technical department, so I was told.
Pictures are taking a while to upload with 'phototurdbucket' so keep your eyes peeled as I upload them....
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am

Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 am

Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:00 am

It's amazing how much even a slight bit out on the tracking effects the overall stability of the whole car - that goes for the rear end just as much as the front.

As for the exhaust, what exactly are you trying to achieve? The Mk2 system was redesigned so Mk1 (non-cat) bits couldn't be used to repair any Mk2 systems so if you want to fit a Mk1 exhaust you'll need the downpipes and back box - both are available on ebay although i noticed one numpty listing a set of front pipes as fitting all 827s including Mk1 and Mk2. :roll:

If you just want to de-cat it, fit a de-cat box. If you can find one a GEX33554 is the genuine Rover de-cat box. They're thin on the ground though.
Alternatively you could by an aftermarket de-cat pipe/box. Double check the length of the cat though, some early ones were about 19", most others were about 16.25" from memory. If you fit a short one to a system that had a longer one then the system will knock and vibrate against the body - if you fit a long one to a system that had a short cat the tailpipes take the knees away from wayward toddlers as they toddle too close to the bumper.
I'm fairly sure the Rover 600 and 400 (Honda engined variety, possibly the T-series engine as well but not sure) used the same cat as the 827 so that opens up the possibilities of finding a de-cat box/pipe. This link might be useful for you :

http://lvawebcat.com/webforms/frmMainMe ... =klariusuk

There is of course the "redneck hillbilly" method of decatting it. Remove the cat and knock the innards out! :wink: :lol: If you use this method, collect the precious metals you knock out and take them to your local scrap metal dealer - should get a few quid back for it. Then refit the gutless cat as a straight through box. If you want to keep the cat as a working unit, remove it, get some flanges and a universal silencer the right length, have them welded together the right way and hey presto you've got a genuine looking decat box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Exh ... SwbqpTzlrd

Hopefully something helpful in there for you! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Sorry to hear about that Charles, glad you got home safe!

Full stainless always gets my vote. If you get the downpipe done that will free up quite a bit of Oomph on the 2.7!

17" Vitesse wheels look great but are extremely heavy and (as we've seen now) prone to bending.

I got rid of the ones on my Vitesse for exactly that reason, they we're all bent and the tracking is out. (Before you ask the chap I sold them to was made fully aware of this and shown the comical number of wheel weights...)

16" wheels on 205/55 tyres is about right for the 800. It was designed for 15" wheels and 65 profile tyres.
The Mk2 16" prestiges are the lightest alloy wheel and the strongest. Followed by the Mk1 16" RoverSport 6 spokes. Hence why my 800s have them!

I had a Toyota Celica for a while after my Uni friend moved back home. I bent one of it's 17" wheels on the Black Mountain Pass. It was so bad it lost pressure. 10 minutes with a block of timber and a sledgehammer to make it vaguely round and enough balance weights on it "fixed" it. ;-)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 am

Alucard7002 wrote:Sorry to hear about that Charles, glad you got home safe!

Full stainless always gets my vote. If you get the downpipe done that will free up quite a bit of Oomph on the 2.7!

17" Vitesse wheels look great but are extremely heavy and (as we've seen now) prone to bending.

I got rid of the ones on my Vitesse for exactly that reason, they we're all bent and the tracking is out. (Before you ask the chap I sold them to was made fully aware of this and shown the comical number of wheel weights...)

16" wheels on 205/55 tyres is about right for the 800. It was designed for 15" wheels and 65 profile tyres.
The Mk2 16" prestiges are the lightest alloy wheel and the strongest. Followed by the Mk1 16" RoverSport 6 spokes. Hence why my 800s have them!

I had a Toyota Celica for a while after my Uni friend moved back home. I bent one of it's 17" wheels on the Black Mountain Pass. It was so bad it lost pressure. 10 minutes with a block of timber and a sledgehammer to make it vaguely round and enough balance weights on it "fixed" it. ;-)
Sorry Dave (Scooby) and Dus, meant to get back sooner. YES, Dus, you are quite right about the wheels being heavier and meatier than the old 16", been having to strengthen my own grip, taking these wheels on and off at times. Because they are heavier, the car also feels quite a bit more heavy to drive, (but it does handle much better than a normal 800, and remember I fitted the Vit Sport anti-roll sway bars to improve handling.

Handling improved, but performance has gone down a fair bit, and fuel consumption increased quite alot! I have done about 700miles in it would you believe in the last month and that's not only cost in petrol, but a new spare replacement tyre and wheel (though the wheel repair tax will go through the business I have).

I had the new tyre put on which didn't cost much, but I have had to pay £25.00 the other day, to 'reinsure if you will' that 4th tyre with National Tyres and Auto Care. Cost was £35.00 for cover. At least though I did not need to, or was not required to pay the amount that perhaps for the replacement tyre without the cover (including balancing etc) would have been £80.00-£90.00. (£35.00 seems worth the cover to me now)

As for the rare Mk1 (non cat) Unipart exhaust, I might list it in the parts for sale section if anybody is interested. When I can, will have a full Stainless (like the Mk1) without the catalyst, and the extra power/performance could compensate for the heavier 17" wheels in theory I hope.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 am

scoobyh123 wrote:"redneck hillbilly"
You called?

Basically a Volvo cat cut down to the size of a rover one. Then stuffed with the intestines from a Mercedes silencer. VIOLA! Fake Cat.

It looked good enough to fool my MOT tester.

Sadly the emissions report wasn't....
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:48 am

That's way above and beyond "redneck hillbilly" Tom! :lol: How far out were the emissions with that on?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 am

traineefarmer wrote:
You called?
Love it! :lol:

Never going to forget you attacking Dave's 825 scrapper with a 9 inch grinder...

The innards fell out of the cat on my previous 820 all on it's own. With an empty cat it didn't half resonate at a certain RPM and "zing" rather loudly! Good call filling the old housing with perf tube and fibreglass.

LPG conversion and no CAT needed - that's my way forwards on the 820.
The Vitesse got a "Sorry my foot was on the throttle boss" emissions test as the CTS is dead on it. Passes fast idle but not natural idle.

I have yet to do 500 miles in the Vitesse, just haven't had the time to be spannering on the old girl.

Charles, £35 per tyre for accidental damage cover is not a bad deal at all. I usually buy my tyres online and get the local lads to fit, balance and valve all 4 for £20 cash.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:29 am

Alucard7002 wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:
You called?
Love it! :lol:

Never going to forget you attacking Dave's 825 scrapper with a 9 inch grinder...

The innards fell out of the cat on my previous 820 all on it's own. With an empty cat it didn't half resonate at a certain RPM and "zing" rather loudly! Good call filling the old housing with perf tube and fibreglass.

LPG conversion and no CAT needed - that's my way forwards on the 820.
The Vitesse got a "Sorry my foot was on the throttle boss" emissions test as the CTS is dead on it. Passes fast idle but not natural idle.

I have yet to do 500 miles in the Vitesse, just haven't had the time to be spannering on the old girl.

Charles, £35 per tyre for accidental damage cover is not a bad deal at all. I usually buy my tyres online and get the local lads to fit, balance and valve all 4 for £20 cash.
Yeah, I should have gone down the LPG route years ago. I did my traineeship at Auto-Gas Developments in Otley, West Yorkshire, and at the time, (2008-2009) I think tax for LPG was either reduced, or non existent. I think the tax rules have changed, but will be looking into this, if I do get rid of my 2 year old Hyundai I10 at the end of its run in March/April.
Not sure with new tax rules how it will affect car owners, or small businesses, but if I'm correct to think, the annual VED on my 1.0 Hyundai i10 premium, will go up from £20.00 to £130.00! This does not sound right really, but if I read that in a preliminary email from Hyundai it could be.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:31 am

traineefarmer wrote:
You called?

It looked good enough to fool my MOT tester.

Sadly the emissions report wasn't....
Innards, nicely depleted there. Good work. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 am

Well, as perhaps members on the facebook arm may have read, the coupe failed the MOT on the handbrake, headlamp aim, bonnet catch, worn anti-roll bar bushes and a few other items.

I had been expecting the car to fail on the handbrake since it failed on this last year; and like last year, no amount of fettling made the operation any better (that's including two new cables at 75 quid each this time!!)So all in all a waste of time/money to say that it only just got through the test after the adjustment and replacement cables.
The headlamps were easy enough to adjust. However I think the tester was being very picky when he (a Mr. Hirst) put on the MOT advisory side; "Headlamp has a product on the light source but not seriously reducing light output". I'm assuming the 'product' he refers to, are the OE Rover headlamp protector covers.

Assuming I still have the car next year, I will take it to a different MOT testing station, because I'm not particularly happy with the way the test was conducted.

My experience of MOT testing is that not every MOT testing station tests a vehicle in the same way, despite the law stating that every MOT station has to undertake the testing on the same vehicle in the same way and therefore should have the same results. As for 'product on the light', this should not even have been an advisory note.
I can take this up with the MOT station, but it's not worth the time and has no detrimental affect as far as the car is concerned.
On the plus side, the emissions passed with flying colours. The test was done as a Non-catalyst equipped (metered check) since I removed the knackered old catalyst and had a straight through section made up for 80quid (last year). Being a K-reg 92 car, the successor to VOSA (whatever they call themselves now) told me on the phone, the car would not require a catalyst.

Anyhow, test past, and the next job, as I have been saying for a while now, is to get that clutch slave cylinder done. I don't know how old the existing one is, but it has been on the car longer than I have owned it. (which is 4 years this August) The clutch pedal 'creaks' on the return upward, and occasionally, I notice the pedal not immediately springing back in the closed position. I have the new part somewhere so this will be done sooner rather than later, so I don't end up stranded like I did a few years ago in the Mk1.
Will keep yall posted!
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am

Charles - £45 for a NEW slave cylinder from Rock Auto if that helps?

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13533&p=146461#p146461

I've asked him to provide a link to the part which should save you a bit. Also lube the springs/bushes on the pedal, any stiffness here will reduce the effectiveness of the slave cylinder. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am

Cheers for the link Dave. I'm pretty sure I already bought a part, but I'm not sure where I put it! Maybe I should try to lube the springs/bushes on the pedal before replacing the slave?
There was somebody on fb looking for this part, so I'll provide the link.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage