Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm all too familiar with the problems you have Charles as i have the same here. I pay a lot of bills online and sometimes it will go through on the screen and even take the money from my bank and then not complete the transaction - a few days later (sometimes a week or more) the money reappears in my account but i haven't always noticed. It's also once or twice corrupted the figure i'm paying.

As a point of interest, it was ATS that wrecked the Roversport 7-spokes on both my Coupé and Sterling. Couldn't even make a full set out of the ones they didn't wreck!

Also they were the clowns that couldn't set the wheel alignment on my Volvo and wrecked the exhaust trying!

There seems to be a lot of indifference to older cars in places like that, regardless of make. Also a lot of arrogance as they think nobody else knows how/what to do. P155es them off when not only can you prove you know what needs doing but you have to tell them how to do it and the correct figures to use!
Then to have to tell them they've set the tyre pressures wrong after already telling them the pressures were correct - "No they weren't, should be 34psi all round!" they say - "Do those wheels and tyres look like 17" jobbies?" says i.
"Err............ no................ they're 16s but it doesn't matter!"
"So why do Rover specify 32psi for the 205/55/16 then if it doesn't matter?"

Rant over - before i get carried away! :lol:

The wheel nuts i linked to are certainly cheaper Charles - the nickel plate does tend to get lost over time though so i fitted a set of plastic chrome nut covers.

On the ones you've bought, they're about £45 for a wheel set, mine are about £15 for the whole car.
Or you could go to a scrapyard and rob a Volvo of its alloy wheel nuts.............. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:13 pm
I'm all too familiar with the problems you have Charles as i have the same here. I pay a lot of bills online and sometimes it will go through on the screen and even take the money from my bank and then not complete the transaction - a few days later (sometimes a week or more) the money reappears in my account but i haven't always noticed. It's also once or twice corrupted the figure i'm paying.

As a point of interest, it was ATS that wrecked the Roversport 7-spokes on both my Coupé and Sterling. Couldn't even make a full set out of the ones they didn't wreck!
Ah.. that doesn't bode well for me. I just have to hope the centre I go to is a better ATS centre than what you had experienced at your branch.
scoobyh123 wrote:
Also they were the clowns that couldn't set the wheel alignment on my Volvo and wrecked the exhaust trying!
Makes one wonder how that's possible that an exhaust gets wrecked for a routine wheel alignment. :( Hope you got refunded for the exhaust.
scoobyh123 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of indifference to older cars in places like that, regardless of make. Also a lot of arrogance as they think nobody else knows how/what to do. P155es them off when not only can you prove you know what needs doing but you have to tell them how to do it and the correct figures to use!
Then to have to tell them they've set the tyre pressures wrong after already telling them the pressures were correct - "No they weren't, should be 34psi all round!" they say - "Do those wheels and tyres look like 17" jobbies?" says i.
"Err............ no................ they're 16s but it doesn't matter!"
"So why do Rover specify 32psi for the 205/55/16 then if it doesn't matter?"

Rant over - before i get carried away! :lol:
Yeah, I see where your coming from with the arrogance of these 'technicians' (or grease monkeys) Reminds me of trips to the tyre shop with my dad in relation to his car.
I just find it irritating when the car is booked in for tyres and I'm told something like 'you need a new exhaust mate'.
scoobyh123 wrote:
The wheel nuts i linked to are certainly cheaper Charles - the nickel plate does tend to get lost over time though so i fitted a set of plastic chrome nut covers.

On the ones you've bought, they're about £45 for a wheel set, mine are about £15 for the whole car.
Or you could go to a scrapyard and rob a Volvo of its alloy wheel nuts.............. :wink: :D
£45 vs £15..not much in comparison where value is concerned. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Reminds me of going to get my wheels balanced at KF about 25 years back, the guy stood next to the discs in his bright blue overalls and tried telling me the discs had overheated and turned blue and needed replacing!

When i went to pay for the wheel balance, the first thing off the printer was a quote for new brake discs (and then they quoted for a Corolla 1.6, not a Celica 2.0 like wot i 'ad!) so i told them that not only was the quote wrong but i didn't need it. They couldn't work out why so i explained the discs were near enough new and hadn't had any hard braking so weren't blue, it was reflection from the guys overalls. :roll:

Again, trying to cash in by ripping someone off. :evil:

The ATS place tried telling me i needed a new exhaust so i told them they were the best ones to supply and fit it free as they had damaged it. They couldn't even source it, never mind fit it! In truth, i was able to refit the temporary repairs i'd already done but it shouldn't have happened in the first place, the idiot hadn't lowered the ramp all the way to the ground so the exhaust caught on the plates at the end that are like little ramps to get on the main ramp.

As for the wheel nuts, definitely better value!

That's with the chrome plastic nut covers on but they definitely do the job! Seem to recall Rimmers were able to supply the correct nuts for ours but were about £16/nut and Honda are about £18/nut for the same item.
The weal point is the stainless steel shell on them - not designed for being done up/undone with windy guns. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 pm
Reminds me of going to get my wheels balanced at KF about 25 years back, the guy stood next to the discs in his bright blue overalls and tried telling me the discs had overheated and turned blue and needed replacing!

When i went to pay for the wheel balance, the first thing off the printer was a quote for new brake discs (and then they quoted for a Corolla 1.6, not a Celica 2.0 like wot i 'ad!) so i told them that not only was the quote wrong but i didn't need it. They couldn't work out why so i explained the discs were near enough new and hadn't had any hard braking so weren't blue, it was reflection from the guys overalls. :roll:

Again, trying to cash in by ripping someone off. :evil:

The ATS place tried telling me i needed a new exhaust so i told them they were the best ones to supply and fit it free as they had damaged it. They couldn't even source it, never mind fit it! In truth, i was able to refit the temporary repairs i'd already done but it shouldn't have happened in the first place, the idiot hadn't lowered the ramp all the way to the ground so the exhaust caught on the plates at the end that are like little ramps to get on the main ramp.

As for the wheel nuts, definitely better value!

That's with the chrome plastic nut covers on but they definitely do the job! Seem to recall Rimmers were able to supply the correct nuts for ours but were about £16/nut and Honda are about £18/nut for the same item.
The weal point is the stainless steel shell on them - not designed for being done up/undone with windy guns. :wink: :D
Hmm..the chances of seeing brake disks turned blue are less than seeing green pigs with black oval eyes on the once in a blue moon....

Your coupe looks really great there btw Dave 8)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 pm

I totally agree - there was no way the discs were blue! I've seen heat treated steel and it does turn blue but we're talking a LOT of heat!

Got to say though, i've seen many strange animals but never any green pigs! :shock:

Thanks, that's one of my favourite shots of the Coupé, was after i got it all polished up ready for the BL show a couple of years back. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Got the re-coated wheel today. I'll get a picture up shortly. :)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:30 pm

The Coupe made a visit to ATS at lunchtime today.

The old wheel and rubber came off and the refurbished wheel and my old spare tire has gone on the car.

I couldn't get my new tire fitted, because the one I've bought (though still correct size for the 17's) is different to the other 3 (incorrect) tires already on the car.

I have another 3 spare wheels that can be refurb'd, so my brand new tire can go on one of those and this can be the emergency spare in the boot.

When I got home not long after the visit today, I had a better look at the old wheel that came off the car.
There was nothing obviously wrong with it; no buckles at all. But having a closer look, I could see under the grime, a hairline crack in the wheel. This was more apparent when I cleaned the grime off.

I've no doubt that was where the air was escaping from. I'm glad I had this old wheel changed today, because this hairline crack would have become longer and larger in size..which is not safe driving at 70 mph on the motorway as I do mostly.
Fingers crossed now for all four wheels, because like the brakes on this car in the past two years, the experience has been far from cheap. :shock: :?
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 pm

I'm glad you found that without it making itself known in more "explosive" circumstances Charles!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:46 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:07 pm
I'm glad you found that without it making itself known in more "explosive" circumstances Charles!
Yes so am I Dave. All seems to be well again. I've taken another wheel to be refurbished today, and then on Saturday I'll have the new tire (already paid for) fitted in the morning.

I've weighed 3 of the buckled wheels in for scrap today and got £27.90 for those. So this will pay for refurbishing the spare wheel.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm

That's good money for scrap alloys Charles - when i sold all of mine, it was about £4.50-5.00/wheel, only a few months back as well!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm
That's good money for scrap alloys Charles - when i sold all of mine, it was about £4.50-5.00/wheel, only a few months back as well!
Yeah, slightly better money than I anticipated Dave. :D While it's good, I'll weigh in the steel wheels off the 827sli.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Are the steelies 15" or 16" Charles? If they're 16s, i'd be interested in one as a spare.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:32 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm
Are the steelies 15" or 16" Charles? If they're 16s, i'd be interested in one as a spare.
They look 15", but I'll have to check, they might even be smaller than that.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 pm

R 15 Dave. The sli is on the 16inch prestige' for now. I do have 15 inch alloys as well but not spare 16's.

The refurb front wheel on the coupe. :)
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 pm

No worries Charles, thanks for checking anyway! I'll hunt down another Volvo Telesto eventually, i just don't have a spare for it at the moment. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate