Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Charles' early 92 827 manual coupe

Post by Charles827si » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:14 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 pm
Charles827si wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:41 pm
The 'stat you've got will be fine, how much are Rimmers after for the gasket/'stat with gasket?
£19.99 as far as I remember Dave.
Ecky thoomp! :shock: That's painful!! You have a PM as well Charles! :wink: :D
Yeah, just abit, but then Rimmer Brothers are like that from my experience. I did ask for a discount if I bought both the rad and the thermostat together..the salesman could not (or perhaps didn't want) to budge down prices.
I've been quite a long serving customer and I still get treated like a new customer every time I place an order.
Loyalty is non existent nearly everywhere these days.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

You're not wrong on the loyalty thing Charles! What gets me about Rimmers is the prices they use are what the parts sold for 20 years ago when the cars were still not only current but relatively new. I know they have to make their crust of bread but it seems a bit steep sometimes to ask someone to pay £20 for a seal for a 30 year old car, especially when they're buying another item at however much the radiator was from them.

I fitted a Nissens rad to my Sterling a couple of years back, cost ame about £130 (for a manual rad, fitted a separate ATF cooler) so i can guess Rimmers were higher than this and still quibbling over a seal - not good!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Exactly, the prices they very often quote for new (old stock) items, are 20 years out of date.

And when it comes to perishable items like rubber, it's very unreasonable that Rimmers still demand high prices.
It's because they know they have the large monopoly on 'classic' parts that they can commit daylight robbery.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Not only 20 years out of date but dealer prices from that time as well. If they brought the prices more in line with pattern parts (a bit dearer maybe because it's genuine, albeit old stock) i'm sure they would actually increase turnover and profit.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 am

This morning, I was up early and felt raring to go for a short(ish) drive and a half hour walk.
I went to historic Saltaire and it was beautifully warm and sunny at times among the clouds.
The coupe is having its new rad and other bits fitted this weekend, and into tomorrow on my day off working.

It's when I see the car parked up like this, that makes me feel as though I need to give it the care it really needs.
I've still some way to go to save up for the body work repairs.
With just other a month till MOT date, I'll likely have the work done in time :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am

Yes the Coupe is such a beautiful car! The classic lines just gets better and better with time. When reading in the facebook-group it's clear that the coupe (and 800 in general) is growing in popularity so they do deserve every bit of work necessary to keep them on the road.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:34 pm

What Henrik said ^^^^^ except the bit about Faceache which i don't use.

It might cost you a bit to get the sills etc sorted Charles but after that, if you douse it liberally with rust prevention (and renew that as/when needed) you'll have a very rare beautiful car that will (with proper servicing) last indefinitely, certainly a lot longer than the modern Euroblobs that are characterless and have obsolescence built in with "Sealed for Life" engine and gearbox units.

It's a bit like my old Volvo, most people think it's a mid-90s 940 with a private plate and are shocked when i explain it really is 31 years old and is the rare one with the V6 (but Volvo never made a V6 they protest! :lol: ) and many people when i had my Coupe would argue that there was never an 827 Coupe, they thought the Coupe only came along with the Mk2b from 96 under BMW control.

Do it as and when you can to keep it on the road as long as possible - you won't find another! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:58 pm

I bought the car back in 2013. At that time, I knew I would never find another decent(ish) 2 door V6 with a manual gearbox.

That was back then. It was my intention from the start, to buy the car for keeps sake. Yes it's caused me some fair grief with financial burdens over the last 6 years, and various niggling issues of all kinds, some of which I still never get to the bottom of.
I bought the car expecting all that, precisely because I knew I wouldn't find the same model of car in a desirable 'excellent condition'.

If I had been able to find the said excellent car; to use lovingly with the reliability of an everyday use 5 year old car, - I might well have saved a considerable amount on parts and repairs.

On the other hand, had I been looking at an XJS at the time, I could have paid almost 3 times as much for a decent car and pay far more in running cost expense. Not to mention the fact that Jaguar being premium, parts are priced accordingly.

Generally speaking, the 800 Coupe has always been and overlooked, under appreciated and undervalued bargain premium/luxury motorcar.
While that's great for the few enthusiasts like us; wanting to own them, there are so many others that have missed out on the Rover marque and the flagship model.

I think this is a great shame. When you think back in the early 1990's Rover was actually a more desirable brand than Bentley. I say this in a very unbiased way and that reflects the trends of the 90's decade.

Things couldn't be more different in 2019. Bentley is a powerhouse of the luxury market and 'the go to brand' for those that want more than an Merc S-class, without the Rolls Royce price. VW have got it very right with the brand marque values and with pricing.
Yet BMW really didn't see any future potential for Rover, (or indeed Bentley) and I also feel BMW haven't in the past and still don't get things right with Rolls Royce, or even Mini.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Very interesting Charles! Had you spent more on an XJ-S at the time, you'd probably now be saving up to have the rear end welded back together. For some reason they are prone to rot from the C-post back which is basically the boot. I remember about 30 years ago seeing an XJ-S on the banger track. It went from the classic 3-box coupe profile to the (then modern) 2-box coupe hatcback profile in one hit.
Granted that hit came from a Chrysler Valiant, about 2-2.5 tonnes of 5.7 Mopar V8 powered thinly disguised tank but they were all weak in that area.

That's your first saving over an XJ-S. Then with an engine half the size (almost exactly, 5343cc Vs 5350 [2 x 2675cc]) you've obviously saved on plugs but also on fuel. The XJ-S might have 300bhp but being about 300kg heavier, it needs it!

Some pre-launch road test reports on the 827 Coupe from a variety of potential owners included a quote of "Excellent weekend car!" from an owner of a Bentley Continental (coupe) who would consider buying one. Think that was from aronline but can't remember.

As you rightly point out, the 800 Coupe and for some reason (despite being the best selling executive car of the 1990s) the 800 is unfairly overlooked. Not only was the 800 doing well, the 600 was outselling BMWs 3-Series by 10 to 1 and even the Honda version of the 600, the Accord, was outselling the 3-Series by 3 to 1.
Not only was the Rover version outselling the BMW competition but also its sister car built on the same production line at the time.

You begin to see why BMW wanted Rover - to prevent the competition! THey also wanted the new Mini and the 4x4 tech from Land-Rover. Some BMW afficianadoes will argue that BMW had a 4x4 system in the late 80s (525iX and 325iX) but it wasn't very successful or reliable and never sold in great numbers.

The Rolls-Royce/Bentley ownership by BMW and VAG respectively is another one, somehow one of the bods at RR Holdings (can't remember the exact name now) managed to sell the rights to the name of each to the German owners now but not the engineering. I can't remember all the ins and outs now (someone else sent me a link about this and i forgot to save it after reading) but in essence, RR and Bentley names are just that and the main RR/Bentley is still UK owned, they just can't sell cars under their own name any more.

Neither BMW or VAG will get things right with Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Mini or anything else they buy because they like their cars different to ours and that was the USP of all our car brands. Ultimately people will realise they are mass-produced German cars and will once again want British cars but we don't have any left now except for maybe TVR - no mass-produced, home-grown car manufacturers.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am

Fair to say, this British made radiator is on its last.. fins :shock: :o
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:03 am

Charles827si wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am

Fair to say, this British made radiator is on its last.. fins :shock: :o
Clearly! Just like the view straight through it! :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 am

How it should look :

How the old one looked :

Note the dampness and falling apart in the top right of the pic! :shock: :o It was 23 years old at the time though!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:22 am

I'm really surprised the car never overheated before.
I begin to wonder if this was the cause of my headgasket failure 6/7 months ago..

The Nissens radiator (courtesy of Rimmers) wasn't a straight forward plug and play. The brackets needed adapting to fit the car, as did the fan.
When it was installed, I had overheating issues and the fan kicking in.
So Ive checked the hoses - all ok and then cleaned the contacts. This seemed to work.
The thermostat went in ok, was quite a methodical process of removing the gubbings, dismantling the old one, and replacing that was the new part with gasket set. I did the boiling test beforehand and the stat works as supposed to.
The lambda sensors I left till last and got those done. One fitted last night and the other early this morning to break the job up.
Not too bad a job this time around - it was only about a year since they were done.
The old sensors looked somewhat cruddy; - I put this down to being exposed to leaking fluids and that could have happened around the time of HG failure.
Only issue with fitting the new sensors was the wiring was different. I had to adapt the wiring and this took me awhile because my solder skills are not great. I got some practice on solder wiring the old sensors before doing the final job on the brand new sensors.
Took the car for a test drive early this morning and all seems ok.
Only thing now to do which I forgot, is to take the battery off to clear the ECU codes.
Time will tell if I've done all my work properly. With any luck, I will no longer get that lean fuel burn smell in my garage due to bad sensors.
From the first test run however, the coupe is performing better overall.

So all in all, this is a rare success story ive had doing the work myself. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am

Great progress then Charles! Save disconnecting the battery to clear the ECU codes, just pull fuse "S" for a minute or so :

Should make life easier and save you having to reprogram the windows/roof and stereo. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:42 am

Thats what I thought as well Dave. Its just Im also having problems with the windows. I've found if i take the battery off for a certain length of time, the electric windows work when the controls are pressed.
Sometimes all windows stop working. It's inconvenient when I put them down, whilst driving only to find they don't return closed again.
Its one of those niggling things I'm still not at the bottom of.
I read a post from Tenemus I think? His car had very similar issues a few years back.
I'm not sure if we are looking at a window ecu issue or faulty switch packs.
But all the switchpacks can't be bad at the same time, so unless the problem is the window ecu, I'm not sure what to look at.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage