I'm really surprised the car never overheated before.
I begin to wonder if this was the cause of my headgasket failure 6/7 months ago..
The Nissens radiator (courtesy of Rimmers) wasn't a straight forward plug and play. The brackets needed adapting to fit the car, as did the fan.
When it was installed, I had overheating issues and the fan kicking in.
So Ive checked the hoses - all ok and then cleaned the contacts. This seemed to work.
The thermostat went in ok, was quite a methodical process of removing the gubbings, dismantling the old one, and replacing that was the new part with gasket set. I did the boiling test beforehand and the stat works as supposed to.
The lambda sensors I left till last and got those done. One fitted last night and the other early this morning to break the job up.
Not too bad a job this time around - it was only about a year since they were done.
The old sensors looked somewhat cruddy; - I put this down to being exposed to leaking fluids and that could have happened around the time of HG failure.
Only issue with fitting the new sensors was the wiring was different. I had to adapt the wiring and this took me awhile because my solder skills are not great. I got some practice on solder wiring the old sensors before doing the final job on the brand new sensors.
Took the car for a test drive early this morning and all seems ok.
Only thing now to do which I forgot, is to take the battery off to clear the ECU codes.
Time will tell if I've done all my work properly. With any luck, I will no longer get that lean fuel burn smell in my garage due to bad sensors.
From the first test run however, the coupe is performing better overall.
So all in all, this is a rare success story ive had doing the work myself.