Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Scoobys 827 Sterling aka "Project Galactic Dawn"

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:34 pm

Cool project there Dave! I do like that two tone interior. The work that you did already looks pretty epic.
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks Marc - praise indeed coming from you!

The paintwork is a bit shabby in places but that will be the last thing to be sorted.
I know it's the first thing that is seen but it's also the first thing to be assaulted by the elements so on that basis, the last thing to be sorted. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 pm
Thanks Marc - praise indeed coming from you!

The paintwork is a bit shabby in places but that will be the last thing to be sorted.
I know it's the first thing that is seen but it's also the first thing to be assaulted by the elements so on that basis, the last thing to be sorted. :wink: :D
Good thinking. Cant wait to see the end result. :) ;)
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 am

You'll have to wait a while i'm afraid - still other improvements to do in other areas yet. More subtle, hidden mods that aren't obvious but are seen, heard or felt.

Things like extra amplifiers for the sound system, not like a "Chav-tastic mega-bass sound-off" type install with sub-woofers and other speakers crammed into every nook and cranny, just enough to give a higher output without getting into the distortion area of the standard amplifier in the head unit.

Other things like twin boot lamps, custom-fit LED versions in fact.

Sequential Gas injection (SGi) LPG conversion, custom cup holders and some other stuff, all hidden until it's used.

When all of that is done, i have a couple of ideas of cosmetic enhancements, one of which will save me respraying the roof. Keeping very quiet on that for now but i know it will look good. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 am

A small update this time, got the replacement radiator yesterday :

Those of you whose eyes are like a hawks will notice immediately it's for a manual. I'm awaiting delivery of an external ATF cooler that should keep the ATF running cooler and also negate the risk of coolant getting into the box. It also worked out a lot cheaper and more available than the original type radiator with built in ATF to coolant heat exchangers in the end tanks.

In other news, i fitted an extra amplifier some time ago underneath the parcel shelf, sadly due to condensation as a result of the boot sunroof drains, it suffered some damage which i've tried repairing but did something wrong as it still doesn't work (think i know what i did wrong so may still be saveable) so i bought one of these :

Cheap on ebay, should provide some extra grunt for the back speakers! If i can fix the other one, i will fit it in the front for the front speakers, if not i might look for a small amp for the front ones as well. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Nice updates Dave. Yes I noticed the radiator is for a manual as I'm familiar with the dimensions and basic shape. I was lucky enough (and this was a few years back when parts such as this were hard to find) to buy one from a local radiator supplier who also made and sold the fuel tanks for the 800. I bought both the radiator & fuel tank from that supplier (Northern Radiators in Bradford) for the Mk1 and fitted these with the help of my dad.
Your cooler idea sounds sensible too.

That amp looks the business and sure sounds will come alive with this!
I updated all speakers and tweeters in the coupe but come to think of it, I can't recall if the amp is the same when I bought the car.
The speakers needed changing as the fronts were completely bust. The original Clarion stereo didn't even power up, so I changed it for quite a nice high level Bluetooth Kenwood stereo with hands free/USB capability which does come in handy. Being digital, there is a good choice of stations too.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Thanks Charles - here's another :

The ATF cooler landed today and so did the replacement wheel nuts.

There was never an extra amp fitted in the saloon models, it was an idea i got from the Coupé (which is why Coupés have electric aerials, no room for the aerial amp to use the rear screen) so i made up a piece of MDF and mounted the original amp pendant-style underneath the aerial amp.

Not ideal as the heatsink should really be uppermost or at least vertical but once i get the LPG conversion done, i'll sort a bit of space under the false floor.

Shame about the original Clarion stereo, i hunted one down for my Coupé and it gives good sound. I've still got the original factory-fit Philips radio in the Sterling (think it's on its third CD changer now though!) so i basically want to boost the output from that.

As for the Bluetooth handsfree thing, Dusan (Alucard7002) has found an adaptor to do similar that he uses so i might see if i can get the details from him for that. If so and i can link it into the original Philips jobby then i'm sorted! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 pm

The adaptor Dusan has sounds like an FM transmitter so that you can listen to music from a device or take calls from a mobile through your cars stereo system. This works by tuning into a certain frequently on your cars FM and matching it to the Bluetooth FM transmitter. I have one for the MK1 which has the early Phillips stereo fitted.
As for the Clarion Stereo of the MK2, I never thought to check the fuse because that's all that could be wrong with that (I still have the stereo).
However I do know where I could possibly find an original brand new one (which is kind of on my to do list one day).
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 pm

You should do it Charles - i have a spare Clarion CD changer that i thought was faulty but it turned out to be the lead between head unit and changer.

Granted you may lose the BT connectivity etc but a device like you describe would work and make the car more original in that respect. I've sent a message to Dusan to ask for a link to the gadget he's got but he hasn't replied yet.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 pm
You should do it Charles - i have a spare Clarion CD changer that i thought was faulty but it turned out to be the lead between head unit and changer.

Granted you may lose the BT connectivity etc but a device like you describe would work and make the car more original in that respect. I've sent a message to Dusan to ask for a link to the gadget he's got but he hasn't replied yet.
I like originality and modern conveniences so it's possible I could get the original working and use an FM transmitter.
The alternative to this is to use a cassette tape adaptor which has a lead with an aux socket on the end which can be plugged into a compatible device.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm

The tape adaptors work well, i've used one before.

Just heard back from Dusan, his isn't just an interface, it's a DAB radio as well :

https://www.pure.com/uk/car-audio/products/highway-600

There are cheaper ones that use an AUX in connector, a bit like the cassette daptor and as you suggest, sends a carrier frequency that your radio tunes to.

I'm sure fleabay would have something similar for about a tenner and a long wait! Instructions in "Chin-Glish" with a free chicken chow mein with every order.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:35 pm
The tape adaptors work well, i've used one before.

Just heard back from Dusan, his isn't just an interface, it's a DAB radio as well :

https://www.pure.com/uk/car-audio/products/highway-600

There are cheaper ones that use an AUX in connector, a bit like the cassette daptor and as you suggest, sends a carrier frequency that your radio tunes to.

I'm sure fleabay would have something similar for about a tenner and a long wait! Instructions in "Chin-Glish" with a free chicken chow mein with every order.
Just watched the YouTube video for this product. It seems a good idea that works well. But I bet in a year or two the average price will have come down alot. The same happened to the FM transmitters. There is a company called gearbest (I think) selling reasonable inexpensive and stylish devices. I think they plug into the cig lighter and take up very little space.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 pm

I'll do some digging on fleabay Charles, see what i can find! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Charles827si wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:43 pm

There is a company called gearbest (I think) selling reasonable inexpensive and stylish devices. I think they plug into the cig lighter and take up very little space.
Yes it's called gearbest.com. The link is below for the one I've seen advertised on TV.
https://www.gearbest.com/fm-transmitter ... id=1433363
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 pm

That interesting Charles, thanks! I was looking at some on fleabay last night, i'd rather pay a few quid extra to get one from the UK than firstly wait to get one from China and secondly, i've found from other things i've bought, if a single item is sent from China it can get damaged easily - it might not show up straightaway but a few months down the line fails prematurely.

The one drawback i can see with that one is the micrphone for the handsfree is built into the bit that plugs into the fag lighter and where is that on the 800?

For that reason i quite like the look of this one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Tran ... etooth+car

Also listed on fleabay at a similar price, i'll have more of a look soon. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate