Manalishis Mk 1a 827 Vitesse (manual)

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Manalishis Mk 1 827 Vitesse (manual)

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Our useless winter is killing me, but at least its ok to order parts!

New front pipe.
New middle section.
New backbox. It all needs some fiddling to fit it but metalwork is just fun!
Then a badge! (Very important!!)
And a temp sender.

Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm

That should get it running quietly and the temperature gauge working! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:30 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm
That should get it running quietly and the temperature gauge working! :wink: :D
Hopefully! :D
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Holy Moses, Update!

After a spring of back problems followed by the blown heater matrix in the Coupe I finally got some tome to fiddle with the Vitesse.

First I ordered a set of these in companionship with Gunnar.

Today I got them together and the plan is to fix the exhaust as soon as possible now. The exhaust must be specially set up as the car has no cat and the parts available are with cat. So first sawing off the flanges where the cat sits as they are out of alignment and 180 deg off. An extra length of 2inch tube goes where the cat would be on a later car.

Also I swapped the panel under the windshield as it was badly corroded. I had a spare, fixed it up with some paint and it fits great.

Next thing the lights and fan are working again, so I presume the work from last autumn, using electro spray and fiddling with multiplugs paid off. Not perfect yet but it points in the direction that there is oxide and grit in connections. We will see if it needs more work.

So next is exhaust and then brakes...

Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Great progress there Henrik! Definitely love the ramps! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:14 pm

Slabbed some paint on the backbox as I know I wont get the car out much, if anything this season, making sure its pretty and rust free next spring.

(Oh, useless update, I know, but we have to keep the forum alive!) :D
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:28 pm

It's not a useless update Henrik! I must get round to trying to sort my back box but been trying to media blast and paint at least one wheel for mine. Not pretty so far!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 am

Dave, would it be possible for you to use what I think is called a lap joint? (See pic below)
That in conjunction with a flex pipe would be able to mate the back box to the middle section. But then another problem arises, the fact that the exhaust would be non solid/rigid in the rear...

You mentioned the glass media blasting, you are giving that job away or are you doing it yourself? Do you use a blasting "cabinet" or work outdoor? I think that stuff is pretty bad to inhale! I know some people use nut shell media.

If everything works ok, I hope to get some progress on fitting my exhaust to the car today.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:38 am

Manalishi wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 am
Dave, would it be possible for you to use what I think is called a lap joint? (See pic below)
That in conjunction with a flex pipe would be able to mate the back box to the middle section. But then another problem arises, the fact that the exhaust would be non solid/rigid in the rear...

You mentioned the glass media blasting, you are giving that job away or are you doing it yourself? Do you use a blasting "cabinet" or work outdoor? I think that stuff is pretty bad to inhale! I know some people use nut shell media.

If everything works ok, I hope to get some progress on fitting my exhaust to the car today.
That's kind of what i'm doing with the length of 51mm pipe Henrik - cutting shorter lengths to extend and turn the existing pipe so it sits correctly but i've decided the ultimate goal is to use the aftermarket box and do the job once, rather than twice.

I've made a blasting cabinet from a large plastic tub with a lid, cut holes for the various pipes in/out but the major problem with it is it's too small to get a decent aim on the wheel and difficult to turn the wheel so i can do inside the well/bead area. I'm looking for a dead dishwasher or large oven (dishwasher is larger so would be better in that respect) to make a better cabinet from but either way, seeing what i'm doing is a problem. The plastic tub gets abraded and goes opaque, glass will likely do the same eventually. My line of thought to overcome this is to use some Perspex sheet with a layer or two of clear, self-adhesive plastic. When it gets opaque, i can peel it off and put a new one on.

I started painting the wheel yesterday but very disappointed with the finish, it's gone "powdery" and isn't the colour i was expecting, it's more a silver-grey than silver so the plan is to rub down the rough bits by hand and then try a brighter silver. I might also try a cone shaped buffing wheel in a drill with some rubbing compound to smooth the finish out before trying the new paint.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:59 am

Oh dear.

I got the car up on the ramps to discover there is a new problem. A fuel leak that wasn't there before. I felt a very light smell the last time I fired it up and now it is leaking like a sieve. Pretty easy access though cutting off the pipe and a hose with clamps should work. Maybe the MOT-tester wont like it, but I'm not swapping anything too expensive before the car is tested.

Next thing was the joy of the nuts to the manifold. Well, I need to get myself a heavy duty power socket as this socket was rounded. I even feel somewhat scared that the nuts wont come off... Maybe I will rethink and keep the original front pipe and cut that just in front of the flex pipe, as that is the leaking part now.

Dave, good luck on the wheels. I would suggest just sanding down, not buffing with a polish. That would potentially give a new problem of silicone on the surface (bad for paint), and the surface itself would be too smooth for the paint to stick. Just some 800grit should be ok? If you have a reaction on the alloy meeting the paint you might need an etching base paint. I recommend Lechler Green ti filler. A great base paint and it has some filling qualities, plus it's etching. That's what I used on my aluminium Austin and the paint is great on that one.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:45 am

Glad you've fixed the fuel leak - was it on that right angle union near the rear left wheel by any chance?

Next, exhaust manifold studs :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QTY-10-M10-F ... 3026573993

Nuts :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Fine- ... 3776639412

Taps - you'll need these!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-x-1-25mm ... 1459942035

Stud Remover - worth its weight in gold, seriously!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Tools- ... 3095214936

Also make yourself up some 50/50 acetone/synthetic ATF, give it a good shake then drizzle, squirt, spray or otherwise get it onto the top of the threads in the manifold to downpipe studs.

Let it soak, preferably overnight. Give it another squirt (shake the mix before each use, it separates easily and make sure you keep it sealed, the acetone will evaporate otherwise) and let it soak for a while.

Now start the engine and get it hot. Get the front of the car on your lovely ramps and crawl under. If you have an impact wrench (air powered maybe?) use that with an impact socket to remove the nuts and if you're lucky, the studs too. Any studs that don't come out, use the stud remover, preferably on the impact wrench, it's designed to take that sort of punishment. The harder you work it, the harder it works and really does the job.

Once the studs are ALL out, run the tap through the holes to ensure they are clear and clean. I used a smear of copper grease on the short end of the studs and two nuts, back to back to fit them tightly. Remove the nuts and then put a smear of copper grease on the stud threads and some on each side of the gasket between the downpipe and manifold.
Fit the new front pipe using the new flange nuts (should be 15mm socket size on the flange nuts or 17mm on the ordinary nuts) and tighten to about 30lb/ft. Start the engine and get it nice and hot again, crawl back under, slacken each nut half a turn and then retighten to about 40-45lb/ft. Think the exact figure is 35lb/ft but bear in mind with it hot, the copper grease will make it easier so go a little tighter.
Shouldn't be any leaks at all of exhaust gases from the manifold to downpipe joins now.

Rubbing compound doesn't contain silicone thankfully, it's mildly abrasive and is designed for smoothing paintwork - a bit like T-Cut but more abrasive so will do the job nicely, i've used it before for the same thing. Then a wipe down with acetone (or petrol) to remove any grease etc and paint.
Slightly more urgent is setting the tracking which i'm hoping to get done on friday, weather permitting!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:57 am

Yes the leak was there but on the pipe running parallell with the tank. But I havent fixed it yet, just got back from the shop with some petrol hose.

Nooooo Dave, Im not touching those 30 year old studs. That job is only for some pilots in the emperors airforce! ;)

Attacking the fuel leak first, then establish how to make the best of the exhaust.
Last edited by Manalishi on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm

So pics in random order.

I decided to cut the front pipe to see what happened, and apparently they are double so probably more quiet and a lot better quality. The tool I use is really good and I can recommend it!

Now I'm planning to get a new flexpipe and mate that to the frontpipe and middle box. Happy days, more hours under the car!

Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 pm

That would be 8mm bore petrol hose then? I replaced a section from the tank to just past that elbow (it was leaking from the elbow but rotten between there and the tank - short piece of 8mm bore hose between the tank end of the metal pipe and the tank as well) on an 827SLi i owned for a while.

As for the exhaust studs, that method is tried and tested and the only way of doing it really as eventually the downpipes will rot as well.

It's nowhere near as bad as it may seem it's going to be, especially if you follow that method.

Just seen your more recent post with the pipe cutter - interesting looking tool!

You can buy clamp in flexi sections and service joints that are elongated pieces of pipe with clamps each end like a glorified Jubilee clip, they work well!

Tried the conical foam sponge with rubbing compound, got a nice smooth finish, some other bits will need sanding smooth maybe.

Been waiting in for the postie to bring a pair of UV tubes for my bug-zapper, finally arrived and the tubes were broken (sent loose in a Jiffy bag! :shock: ) so i'm going to try and get some different colour paint (Autotek Aluminium, a brighter silver) and some lacquer and hopefully have better luck with that!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:59 pm

Just got back from the shop with som universal exhaust stuff. Probably have to wait as I dont have my welder in this garage. And maybe I need to kink the pipe a tad. It feels like there isnt a straight alignment.

Best bet would be to start from the rear, mounting rear and middle box to see where I am.

Yes Dave 8mm tube is correct!
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98