Manalishis Mk 1a 827 Vitesse (manual)

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Manalishis Mk 1a 827 Vitesse (manual)

Post by Manalishi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:54 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 pm
Keep meaning to send you this link Henrik :

https://mgroverservice.blogspot.com/201 ... trols.html

That's for the later 400/45 but the same applies, i'll try and find the pics of the 827 when i did mine but it covers everything there.
Excellent Dave! Thanks!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:55 am

The saga continues...

I’ve been busy fixing the doors and the car is starting to look rather ok! Pics will follow!

But, I still have a problem with my heater/blower.

I got a second hand H/B-controller with sliders intact and after some foul langauge I managed to get it fitted.

Heater works great. But the slider/pot for the fan speed isn’t. As now it’s on full speed.

The control box behind the dash holds a circuit and I’ve resoldered the entire unit. I can’t say for sure I did a great job but I think it’s ok.

Question. Could it be determined which colour is for the reostat/potentiometer? If I understand it correctly it should be possible to fit an extra potentiometer/reostat on this wire?

Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:14 am

The wires on the back of the control panel should contain these Henrik :

Yellow/Brown
Slate/Yellow
Black

Black is earth, Yellow/Brown is the +ve feed from the fan speed controller (separate box) and Slate/Yellow (Grey/Yellow) is the potentiometer wiper. If you measure the resistance of the pins on the control panel where the Yellow/Brown and Black wires connect, that should give you a total value for the potentiometer. The diagram shows a second resistor in parallel with the main pot which suggests the total resistance will be an NPV - Non-Preferred Value - in other words they've had to make it the right value by including the parallel resistor.

As far as fault finding goes, the first point to look at would be the earth on the pot in the control panel if you're not getting any speed variation.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks Dave! And by control panel you mean the panel with sliders? Not the box in my second pic?
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:36 pm

You're welcome and correct Henrik, as far as i can work out, the box in the second pic is what i referred to as the fan speed controller. Working on the control panel end would prove the rest of the circuit if you get success that way. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Did some other stuff.

The large bent piece of wood was very cracked and some laquer flakes And even veneer was missing.

Step one was to try to sand down the old laquer. Very hard as the laquer itself is som much harder than the wood so when I went through the laquer I would have removed the veneer in no time. So new approach. First I filled some of the cracks with a brownish wood oil dilluted in terpentine. I got a very thick furniture laquer (flat) on with a brush, some thick layers with sanding between and the top coat is a thin spray of clear gloss.

Not perfect, and very hard to say from the pics, but a million times better.

Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Very nice work Henrik! I keep trying to find a chemical stripper that will remove the original lacquer, i've got loads of nice wood but it's gone milky in the lacquer so need to remove the lacquer, clean and then relacquer it.
Have thought about a heat gun but don't want to fry the veneer!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks Dave. It seems the mk1 and 2 are very different. The mk2 being more ”plastic like”. I’ve attacked both types and the mk1 is a lot easier to work with.

Something chemical might be a solution but I think it would be very difficult.

Personally I would like to try a strip of wood in somekind of cutter tool, a cutter set up in a lathe cutting layer by layer with surgical precision down to the veneer.

Hopefully our dreaded weather will get better too. Impossible to do anything about the fan speed trials!

I did manage to change the cracked front speaker though! I did a special solution. I knocked off the old speaker from the mounting plate with four screws. It’s Simply glued together so I used some heavy duty fibreglass filler to fit the ”new” speaker, the Pioneer 5.25 inch one. It works perfectly!

I’ll get some pics of that one too as it could be a good tip.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:19 pm

It sounds as if they changed the lacquer for the Mk2 Henrik and perhaps used a thinner veneer as well. I've sometimes thought of getting the wood panels down to the bare aluminium backplates and then fitting new veneer and lacquer, perhaps using sapele or African Zebra wood seeing a genuine burr walnut is like rocking horse manure to get hold of legally these days.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:47 pm

I think burr walnut is a by-product of the walnut trade (coffee walnut cake anybody?) and as such is available. I recently bought some for the centre console project (still on-going but nearly complete) and got four sheets, 20 x 29cm, of genuine American burr walnut for £18. This would allow a mirrored panel to be made up to nearly four feet long.

eBay is your friend here.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:32 am

Yeah but no but........................yeah...................but!

Burr walnut isn't exactly a by-product Mark, not as i understand it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans

https://graftedwalnuts.co.uk/burr.html

I know there was a time when English Burr Walnut was outlawed because the species was endangered. If you look at the Mk2a and the Mk2b, the Mk2b has much darker burr walnut because it's American. As you'll see from the above links, it comes from a very specific part of the tree, maybe it's one of those things like leather that was once thrown away or viewed as the "poor mans version" of the material and in that respect could possibly be considered a by-product.
As an example, i once worked on a 1927 Rolls-Royce, the chauffeurs seat was leather and there was no roof above the chauffeur or heater in the "cab". However, in the back, the seats were covered in moquette, there was a working heater and a roof. Fast forward to a 1983 Rolls (also owned by the same person) and there was a full roof above the front and the back, climate control for the entire passenger compartment and leather upholstery all round.

Times change and with them, so do fashions on what's considered luxurious and what isn't. What might be considered a by-product at one time could become the premium product another time.

Another example, rib-eye steak, was once almost unheard of unless you had a knowledgeable butcher. It was cheap then as nobody knew of it then that jerk Jamie Oliver "discovered" it and through the media of tv, introduced and popularised it. Now it's horrendously expensive and yet was once a by-product because nobody wanted (or even knew of the existance of) it. When they sold Jamie Oliver branded sausages in Sainsburys, there was a photo of him on the back of the packaging and near it, the words "Prick with a fork". Intended as cooking instructions, those words rang true in another sense and i couldn't agree more!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:25 am

As was relayed to me by two older gents in the car refurbishing trade, when a walnut tree is past its useful life (lower yields for walnuts) it is harvested for the wood, some of which has burr or 'burr-like' properties and is then used in the car industry. I guess that is what they meant as a 'by-product'. To purchase burr walnut is far from illegal; certain sources or types might be.

And as your 'percieved quality', I agree. I like velour :shock: . There, I said it! It's warmer, less sweaty and grips you much better than leather. All those little fibres act as stickle bricks into your clothes in a geko-like fashion. Not everyone will agree :lol: .
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 am

Hmmm, i think the opinion of those two older guys is a bit tunnel vision. Don't forget that burr walnut was also used in furniture centuries before the car was even invented. It was the extra use of it in the automotive industry that led to the shortage and the ban on British Walnut being used - i think i'm right in saying British Walnut as the American Walnut has always been available but considered "inferior" to the British Walnut. It's darker for one thing which could be why.

It could be the ban on British Walnut has been lifted now, i haven't been able to find anything online about it so either nobody has thought it important or i'm looking in the wrong place.

I like velour as well but in a car i like leather upholstery. At home i prefer fabric so i understand where you're coming from.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:38 pm

Mark, I'm the same as you. Much prefer fabric seats in a car to leather. The half/half of the Vitesse Recaros were, to my mind, the perfect seat.

I've never been able to get as comfortable in leather seats - that's ANY of my leather 800s (including this Vitesse Lux), my Jags or even a Hyundai Coupe.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm

mercedade wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:38 pm

I've never been able to get as comfortable in leather seats - that's ANY of my leather 800s (including this Vitesse Lux), my Jags or even a Hyundai Coupe.
Each to their own on the leather/cloth debate but i've never had a problem getting comfortable in any of my Rovers regardless of material whether it's been SD1s, 2/4/6/800s (and sometimes their Honda equivalents at the same time) but i did have trouble getting comfortable in both my Jags (S3 XJ6 Sovereign and also XJ40 3.6 Sovereign, first had velour, the '40 had cow) but i got there eventually.

Had a Hyundai Stellar GSL that had cloth, quite a comfortable car and the girlfiend at the time had a Mk2 Pony, also with cloth, that was as good as the Stellar on comfort despite being smaller.

Could i ask Adrian, are you particularly tall or short or maybe an unusual shape? Those are the usual personal factors effecting comfort, i'm a funny shape as i have a long back and shorter legs than the average person of my height (5'11") so i frequently have problems getting comfortable! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate