Mercedade's '97 Vitesse Lux

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Mercedade's '97 Vitesse Lux

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 am

There are smaller versions of it, what i did with mine was to measure the size now and go for the nearest size up from that on the grounds it's been squashed, deformed and shrunk over the 20+ years of life under the bootlid.

Another possible source of water ingress that is showing up on saloons and coupes is where the rear end joins the back end of the middle bit if that makes sense. Usually it's a spot weld in the gutter surrounding the aperture of the luggage area and is meant to have seam-sealer to prevent water getting through.

It almost certainly did at the factory but has no doubt gone hard/dried out over time and with the flexing of the bodyshell, crumbled and fallen out, leaving an exposed, untreated spot weld.
As two layers of metalwork overlap, you can see moisture can get between and cause firstly rust then a hole to appear, often hidden until you look really hard for it.

I had a lovely dry boot until recently when both started leaking on mine. :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:25 pm

Lockdown project in full swing...

Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 pm

The undertaking

Adrian

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:31 pm

Because...

Adrian

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Very similar to my Sterling right now (been like that since October) as I'm still trying to solve the leak in the front. Thing is, I think the front wing needs to come off and everything else that involves but, on the road, on a hill and no one to help. I just have to keep bailing out! :cry: However, I have used to the opportunity to put sound deadening mat over the entire floor pan and rear wheel arches.

I do have water coming in the boot as well, like it did on the Vitesse, and like the Vitesse it is coming in through the rear quarter light window. They are 'bolted' on and the bit of foam sealer comes unstuck, hence leaking water. I removed both my windows and replaced the foam with butyl strip and bolted back it all back up. No more leaks and I will be doing that on the Sterling but it is tricky to remove the 'sixth light finisher' plastic trim inside without breaking it. I'm waiting for warmer weather.

I put a 'deflecter' underneath the rear window drain point to stop water tracking down on to the seal and collecting in the bottom corners. Could your leak be coming from any of those? Also the rear windscreen has been known to unbond.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 pm

I've basically got to have it all apart because the sheer amount of water means that actually leak tracing is impossible until it's dry again.

I've done all four sunroof drains, but the speed that the drivers' footwell filled up whilst parked up during the last heavy downpour suggests strongly to me sunroof.

Next weekend (I've put the seats back, so will drive it carpet-less for the next fortnight or so) I plan to wield the hosepipe and see what's what.

All good suggestions, thanks Mark.
Adrian

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 pm

I had (still have?) multiple ingress points. I have removed the 'A' pillar trims and the roof liner, and shall re-cover that whilst it is out. Presumably you've determined whether the liner is wet or nor, mine was. I also thought it could be coming in down the side of the of the windscreen. I used 'seek 'n' seal', no longer available but 'Captain Tolley' is. I also used a liquid product that the windscreen folk use. Can't remember the name and can't find it right now but it's a form of liquid primer used in replacing windscreens. Another ingress point is the scuttle panel screw above the passenger footwell. It sits directly above the fan and so drains directly into the car. Genius! Apply some gunge of some description to the plastic screw grip to create a self healing hole, then replace the screw (you'll need to take the scuttle panel off, of course). The other screws drain into wiper arm cavity, so are fine.
Forgive me if you are aware of these points already and any others you can suggest would be welcome.

The leak I'm trying to gain access to seems to coming from a point just forward of the top passenger door hinge. There appears to be a cavity and I think that's where my leak is, as it then drains down the side of the fan intake and into the footwell. Defo not the sunroof etc.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Hope you get to the bottom of it Adrian, if you happen to park facing downhill (even slightly) the front can fill up and leave the back dry from a leak on the back end.

It can even give false negatives as the spare wheel well can fill up and as you brake or drive/park down hill, the water again runs forward.

Don't forget the heater drain under the scuttle and also check to make sure the heater fan isn't filling up with water from a blocked scuttle drain. That's a sneaky one to find and makes both front footwells wet!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:23 pm

I also think I've got a few! Certainly on both sides, and certainly front and back - I just need it dry enough to start with.

UNbelievably, the amount of water that's shown in the video wasn't enough to penetrate the upper carpet - I'd already removed a good few litres of water that was sloshing around on top a few weeks back (and repeatedly over the winter).
It must have been comfortably 2 inches deep at one point.
Adrian

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:10 pm

Yep, very similar to what I had. It's amazing how heavy the underlay is when full of water. Very tricky to remove without cracking the rubber layer (I didn't really succeed). Much dabbing with a super-soaker sponge to remove as much water as I could and then three weeks or so in the bath draining. I have now got a roll of sound acoustic 'rubber/bitumastic' sheet to stick on top to hold together all the cracked surface. More weight and sound deadening. But absolutely no point putting it back in until I have stopped the water though.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm

You'll find the sound deadening mat makes the car a much nicer place to be Mark. Also if you extend it to cover the cabin side of the wheel arches front and rear, it's amazing how much noise comes from that area.

I used some 5mm soundproofing on my Sterling and basically did the entire floorpan in the passenger compartment plus a few bits in the boot, was like driving a different car afterwards! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:40 pm

First part is already done;

There is more deadening sheet behind the wadding as well. Tapping the rear quarter panel now, it sounds really 'dead', not tinny as previously. Also put little strips on the underside of the sunroof tray, that sounds more solid now as well. All the doors are filled with wadding and again sound more solid when shut.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Excellent work Mark, you've gone a bit further than i have so far but you'll really notice the difference when you drive it! :wink: :D

I do intend to add more soundproofing and already fitted some to the inside of the boot/rear 1/4 panels.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Fastback wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:10 pm
Yep, very similar to what I had. It's amazing how heavy the underlay is when full of water. Very tricky to remove without cracking the rubber layer (I didn't really succeed). Much dabbing with a super-soaker sponge to remove as much water as I could and then three weeks or so in the bath draining. I have now got a roll of sound acoustic 'rubber/bitumastic' sheet to stick on top to hold together all the cracked surface. More weight and sound deadening. But absolutely no point putting it back in until I have stopped the water though.
Oh nice - do you have a link for the noise suppressing sheeting? Yep, the rubber top layer is absolute toast, I've been chucking huge amounts of it away unfortunately. I couldn't get to the upper most fixings under the dash without removing said dash, and I do have limits. So i cut away at it instead.
Adrian

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:09 pm

I bought it through eBay as it was cheaper than going direct but it is a well known company;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-x-1m-Heav ... SwuPlba~8W

Apparantly you can shape it with heat. I have to say I have not done this yet so cannot offer any feedback at all. Do get some high quality high temperature contact adhesive though.

Does anybody why I'm getting a little error message at the bottom of my previews please? Starts with 'php warning...'
Mark