Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by scotty2 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 pm

TGM update: New front springs are 37 cm both sides now settled. Comfort much improved. LPG now working.
Took the car to *Simon at http://www.lpgc.co.uk/
Diagnosed a duff solenoid valve at the tank end which had a burned out coil. He had a second hand one that fitted and we had to lower the tank a bit to get it on but he managed. He then played about with the software checking various pressures and values on the system. He tweaked it to ensure the switch from petrol to LPG is seamless and the system is now back to fully functioning. He said the injectors were a bit noisy but it got a clean bill of health.
It is a really good system. No loss of power and 58 p per litre.

*Imagine a Fred Dibnah style character in a yard, not paved and covered with bits of old discarded systems, scrap vehicles. Tools and equipment stored in old cars. Overflowing sheds and obligitory roll up fag in mouth/hand while working on an LPG system.
Great Fella!
A not unreasonable £70 to fix.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Great to hear you're back up and running on gas again Scott! Also that it was one of the common failures, like i suggested originally.

It always was a seamless transition from petrol to gas, i suspect over the years in between your ownership and the original owner that converted it, things have changed, worn etc and i know for a fact the TPS was changed (it had been dodgy for a long time and certain tweaks had been made to the gas to compensate) in between whiles so a few tweaks now no doubt put it all back to how it should be. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:04 am

Hello there!

I'm one of the original owners of said Green Machine.

Glad to see she's still on the road and seeing lots of use!

Been feeling nostalgic for my old girl for some time!

If you ever think of selling her do give me a shout. I'd be very interested 😁
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi Dusan,
Thanks for all the work you did to the car (maybe apart from the 5th gear ;-) I don't do a lot of motorway commuting which is maybe what was intended) . I have had a bit of paintwork done, a new windscreen, tyres and well you may have read the thread... I had always fancied a vehicle with LPG and this system is pretty damn good. My son is the daily driver and it has been reliable and quite sporty for him. A step up from his Mr Bean Mini.
One amusing trick the car (TGM) does is random self locking. Earlier in the winter, he went out into the drive to defrost and pre-warm the car. He then came running in panicking as the car was running but then had suddenly locked itself while he stood watching!
Luckily I had kept the other fob handy to re-open it.
I WD'd the locks but it still does it occasionally.
I am still looking for a Green Turbo Coupe to get the set!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Hah, yes the 5th gear only works in the Fens. I live in Cambridge and 95% of my driving at the time was fenland flatness.

Made for easy 32mpg on gas at a true 70mph

I'm glad you like the LPG setup, it's both a bit "special" and overengineered at the same time. Romano 240hp vap and a 74l tank (I think?) Yes it's a V8 setup with one bank turned off, then one bank died inside the ECU so I switched to the other bank. Needed new injector rails every 30k and new filters every 10k and a new coilpack every 20k

But got me 60+MPG petrol price equivalent so all in good fun!

Happy to hear she's in good hands and being cared for. Apologies about the front suspension fun you had, I was forever seeking the ideal setup at minimal budget as I didn't fancy throwing BC racing £2500 for a set of custom coilovers!

It was reasonably good in the twisties, many a time had friends comment they didn't know such a big FWD car could tripod, does if you try hard enough ;-)

The self locking will be a sticky or dying microswitch in the doorlock motor thingamywotsit. From memory I sold it to James with a full set of spare lock mechanisms for which I was going to replace all the microswitches in.

I had to dig out the pgotos of the gearbox fun I had. All done out my old council lockup. I look back at it now and wonder how the heck I managed :shock:

Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Cheers Dusan.
TB2 Update:
Front flexi on the exhaust had been blowing a bit but degraded to a full rasp. Sourced a front pipe for a very reasonable £26, so decided to self isolate in my workshop for an afternoon. Hate doing exhausts, but with the car on the ramp, it is at least accessible and the Lambda sensor is in the manifold so no mucking about trying to get that out. Wire brushed studs and soaked with fluid. At least the Cat ones were recently done. All three on Cat -OK. 3 out of 4 on the manifold OK, but the 4th! Without dropping the gearbox mount, how the heck can you get at it! Had to cut a part of the old exhaust away of to get some restricted access. Anyhoo took me nearly 4 hours in all. Knew there was a reason to avoid exhausts!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:42 pm

On the upside Scott, it gave you 4 hours away from the stresses of lockdown! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Update on TB2:
Been left stood for a while as I'm working from home and been using the MG. Battery flat. Charge overnight and all seems ok.
After working on the Morris Minor GT (changing from twin back to single carb and a new choke cable which I can't get anything to undo it behind the dash...), the Rover wouldn't start. Alarm off and on, still nothing. I could here something clicking so opened the bonnet and pushed the reset button on the bulkhead which clicked like resetting. Car then started OK. Very strange!
OSR wheelbearing seems to be rumbling now. Do 800s have weak OSR wheel bearings? We had to change TGMs last year.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:09 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:48 pm
I could here something clicking so opened the bonnet and pushed the reset button on the bulkhead which clicked like resetting. Car then started OK.
Nothing strange in that, those inertia switches have a habit of doing that Scott. I now periodically deploy the one on mine by whacking the body of it with a large screwdriver handle (to simulate an impact) then press the button to reset it.

Often when it goes into what i call its "third state" it won't pass enough current to operate the fuel pump but still passes enough current to satisfy the CCU that it hasn't been deployed so the doors stay locked.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am

My son had a fob failure on TGM the other night when the car would not unlock or start due to the immobiliser. Luckily wife agreed to bring the spare fob (phew) and we got home. I put new batteries in the original fob but still no response despite the LEDs blinking.
After consulting Dave (your knowledge and help is very much appreciated) I tried the original fob again. Pressed "lock" six times, then "open" six times and it sprang into action! I've posted here in case it happens to anyone else when changing batteries. Might be worth sticking this on the Electronics forum?

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Fri May 08, 2020 10:27 am

scotty2 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am
My son had a fob failure on TGM the other night when the car would not unlock or start due to the immobiliser. Luckily wife agreed to bring the spare fob (phew) and we got home. I put new batteries in the original fob but still no response despite the LEDs blinking.
After consulting Dave (your knowledge and help is very much appreciated) I tried the original fob again. Pressed "lock" six times, then "open" six times and it sprang into action! I've posted here in case it happens to anyone else when changing batteries. Might be worth sticking this on the Electronics forum?
Excellent info! Agreed, a sticky is worthy!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:33 am

Glad the usual fix worked Scott! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Update:
Put the mudflaps on TB2. Oh and I have bought a Vitesse Coupe.
Harry and I traveled down to Slough in TGM, bought the Coupe and we drove in convoy to Daves and picked up some Coupe spares before returning to base. Harry got 380 miles on a tank of lpg and I have filled the Coupe.
Pics to follow..Just got back from a 10am start. 480 miles and 10 hours.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 pm

You made good time Scott! Did you stop on the way for a feed or just "toe down and home"?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:26 am

Vitesse coupe... Mine is still tucked away in the garage next to my Ruby. I miss it! :(

Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98