Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am
Ha! Funnily the brake bleeder cap fits perfectly - on the coolant reservoir!
If the Sealey multi adapter fits, I'll certainly do a write up. Hope to do it over the weekend.
They have some strange definitions the Chinese Scott! :P :lol:

Found one on my mirror dashcam the other day, the time for each video clip was set to "Tree Minutes"! :shock: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:48 pm

Partial luck with the modified "Universal" attachment, but despite pressure bleeding and no evident air, clutch is still biting just off the floor. I'm going to take off the slave and check the rod length as it might be an issue. Had a very reasonable quote to respray into green. £1600. I'll see if I can get the clutch action right before spending more money on it. And I have to sell my 2003 XK8 convertible to pay for it...
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Could be the slave cylinder itself is belly-up Scott.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-CDU1233EVA

Alternatively ebay has some more cost-effective new ones :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-820-82 ... 3911970566

Alteratively, a seal set :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-820-82 ... 4107271336

Have a look at the other options too, those are just a few i picked as being the most likely replacements :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0

I've heard the slave cylinders are a weak point, particularly if the car has been sitting and/or the fluid changes have been neglected.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Well anticipated Dave. Just had the car up on the ramp and the new slave (18 months old!) is knackered. One on order.
Can hear it drawing air when trying to manually bleed it. Do you know what length the rod should be? At least I have a choice of two others to compare!
ETA: Late and early ones seem to be the same.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Not sure on the rod length Scott, i'll have a look later and see if i can find any specs on it.

When you say it was "new 18 months ago", was it definitely new or just new to the car? Many people confuse the two, especially when selling!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:12 am

There is a bill from 18 months ago with new master, and slave as well as clutch kit and it certainly looked fresh - on the outside!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:12 am

scotty2 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:12 am
There is a bill from 18 months ago with new master, and slave as well as clutch kit and it certainly looked fresh - on the outside!
Hmmmm, i wonder if they used completely new fluid and flushed the brake master cylinder out with clean fluid before attempting to bleed the clutch. Any sediment in the bottom of the brake reservoir would have found its way into the new clutch master and slave if not and eventually settled in the lowet point which is obviously the slave. Could have potentially caused the premature failure of the slave.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Ready to bleed the clutch on the Coupe this weekend. I have a new slave and I will attempt a guide. I have tie wrapped the piston fully in to follow the Rover bleeding bulletin...
One thing bugging me is the seat on the Coupe does not seem to go as far forward as I'd like and certainly not as far as the other two. Now I'm no Umpa Lumpa (5'9") but the seat reaches it's stops before I'm in my preferred position. Must have a look under in case someone has mucked about with the runners. I might have to take the seat out and drill some more location holes.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:39 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 pm

One thing bugging me is the seat on the Coupe does not seem to go as far forward as I'd like and certainly not as far as the other two. Now I'm no Umpa Lumpa (5'9") but the seat reaches it's stops before I'm in my preferred position. Must have a look under in case someone has mucked about with the runners. I might have to take the seat out and drill some more location holes.
If you get the seat to its highest setting Scott then look underneath it, you may see something stuck in the runners, especially if you move it all the way back.
I'm a similar height to you and i could easily get the seat far enough forward. In fact before i bought mine, i sat in someone elses Coupe to check i could get in and out easily enough. I can't think of his screen name at the moment, daresay it'll come to me later but he's a bit shorter than you and i and i had trouble because the seat was too close to the steering wheel! Had to move it back if memory serves.

Could be anything - a stone, a lost wallet full of £50 notes (yeah, right!) or a lost CD case or whatever.
You'll also see that drilling different mounting holes isn't an option.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:45 pm

Well maybe not a £50 note but could easily be a £1 coin. Bought a Sterling with a 'faulty' passenger seat and it was just getting wedged with a coin. Four torx (star) bolts takes the seat out for a proper look.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Right. fitted new slave. Bled while fully compressing the piston. Definitely no air. Connected and bled again - no bubbles. Action exactly the same as before. I am now thinking that the flywheel mod on the previous bill might be skimming and it might have been too much? Next step, lengthening the rod or making it adjustable. Didn't feel like looking at the seat movement after that :-(

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:18 pm

This is beginning to sound like a thrust bearing problem to me, possibly it's not been seated correctly in the bellhousing and therefore isn't doing what it should.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine and Coupe

Post by scotty2 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Yes Dave, it is looking like some internal issue. I'll try an adjustable rod first, so it may delay having to dismantle. Mmm with the engine out it would be easier to paint it all green...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupe

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Have you got a boroscope Scott? Might be an idea to find a way inside the bellhousing and have a look at what's happening. If you haven't, for the sake of £6 it might save you a lot of grief :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-2M-USB-En ... 3613632821

I have heard of the release arm fracturing on some cars, not sure it applies to yours but worth a thought. Instead of moving the thrust bearing it just flexes. I'm wondering if the pervious owner had clutch problems and sold it because he couldn't resolve them.

I also remember Phil (Nuts4my827) had a similar problem that turned out to be the release arm and i think it was the internal part spinning on the "axle" of the release arm. THis diagram from RImmers shows the fork etc inside that goes on the release arm :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID999520

Maybe Phil will be along soon and offer some help as well. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupe

Post by mercedade » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:31 pm

How does the actual pedal feel? They are incredibly susceptible to wear/movement, and it can only take less than 1mm of play at the pedal end to translate to a barely usable clutch.

I also noted you said you bled, then fitted, then bled again. It's entirely possible to introduce air when fitting - I gave myself an inoperable clutch pedal a few months ago by over-extending the release arm whilst attached to the slave cylinder piston.

These are also, sadly, fiendishly difficult to get a clean bleed on. The damper makes it harder.

All of my 800s have been manual, and each has had clutch pedal problems that were cured by bleeding/changing slave cylinders. I had one clutch break up on the green Vitesse and a mangled pedal pivot on this gold one.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)