Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupes

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:00 pm

Nice work!
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:04 pm

TB2 undergoing a full respray now I have confirmation that she is solid behind the panels (and underneath) and worth saving. I'll try and get pics.
Still issues with LPG availability for TGM.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:54 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:04 pm
TB2 undergoing a full respray now I have confirmation that she is solid behind the panels (and underneath) and worth saving. I'll try and get pics.
Still issues with LPG availability for TGM.
Can't remember exactly where you live Scott but this is fairly up to date with availability :

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

Takes a while to load completely, think their server is on a go-slow! Managed to finally get some for mine a couple of weeks back, local station was out for about a week but the ones further out seem to still be out or maybe just not updated recently. Morrisons seem fairly good at keeping their supplies going in general so if you have one of those nearby you might be in luck.

Looking forward to the pics of TB2 having a new paint job! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu May 05, 2022 2:07 pm

I was leaving the local yesterday at teatime in my Allegro, when a white Rover 800 went past. I had seen it before and he gave a wave, so I set out and followed him home... Turns out he has the white saloon Vitesse, and two Coupes. He is 2 miles from my house and I had no idea. Small world. Now we can source and share some spares.
Pics of the prep for respray.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:37 pm

Always good to find a fellow enthusiast locally Scott!

Lots of dust from sanding in all those pics, should look like new when it's done! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm

TB2 now resprayed, and MOT'd. Picking up later so I'll get some pics over the weekend. Decided to replace both rear callipers as one was seized. Got a pair for £87. None listed for Rover 800s, but they are the same as MG TF. Needed a new lambda sensor as well.

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:53 am

Now MOT'd and back home ready for 1st July to tax it.

Hard to see the paint at its best in the light but looks like new.

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am

Congratulations for the MOT and the new paint, it looks perfect

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:35 am

Excellent. One more year of happy motoring!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:22 pm

Very nice. And you had all the exterior panels and bumpers done?

My Sterling could do with some attention but I believe the price is frightening for body work now.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:00 am

Yes. Bumpers off, front wings off. Repairs to sills, rear wheel arches, front wings - £400
Whole car respray and rebuild - £1750.

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:54 am

Wow :shock: :o ! That seems to be an extremely good price. What did you have over them :lol: ?

Had a little work done to one of ours recently, less than one foot of sill replaced (which we supplied) and surrounding area resprayed, £950!

Book mine in will you? It's worth the couple of tanks of fuel and a few overnight stays somewhere. I've had figures of £5000-7000 for a respray.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:30 am

Local bodyshop who does very reasonable prices - "Williams Refinishing" in Brandesburton. I have had a few jobs done by him and get "Mates Rates".
Next door is a very good welder.

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:02 pm

Well I have been quiet recently as nothing much to report, however TGM has just done another Torrey Canyon on us.
Left a car at a wedding on Saturday night. My Son gave me a lift to pick it up around 5 pm, so naturally I say, "Let's stop off at the pub on the way home..." I got parked first only to see Son driving TGM into the car park leaving a trail of oil as it poured out of the sump! The "temporary" repair had given way so it dumped it sump contents on the car park (gravelly luckily enough). Very lucky we stopped at the pub or it would have been seized engine time.

Note to self: Always stop off at the pub on your way home, just in case!

Luckily my stash of spares includes a sump, and I had bought a gasket previously. Managed to pick the car up on my trailer last night and dropped off at a Classic Friendly local garage as it will need heat on the downpipe nuts.

A change in circumstances (semi retiring) means I will need to sell a few of my vehicles, so if any one is interested in either (or both) of the two Turbo Coupes I have, please get in touch.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:42 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:02 pm
A change in circumstances (semi retiring) means I will need to sell a few of my vehicles, so if any one is interested in either (or both) of the two Turbo Coupes I have, please get in touch.
First, total bummer about TGM doing a Torrey Canyon/Exxon Valdez, second, if you're semi-retiring, wouldn't that give you more time to enjoy your fleet and have more variety? There was me about to offer you a 1994 827 Sterling in need of a bit of fettling with a MIG as well! :P :lol:

You probably wouldn't have needed heat on the downpipe-manifold nuts, fairly sure when Dusan owned it he used copper grease on the studs so you should have been ok with them. That said, if you have a classic friendly garage that is £Reasonable then i can see the attraction of them doing that particular job! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate