Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2, The Green Machine & Turbo Coupes

Post by scotty2 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:49 pm

OK. TB2 Thermostat update. I had one in stock , but ordered a specific 88C Rover 800 one so I'd still have one left in stock. Sunday afternoon I managed to undo the hoses and stat housing bolts without disaster. Put my stock one in (came with a choice of gaskets and put it back together. Warmed up - no leaks. Went down the bypass and the temp went back to almost not registering. Hey ho - Back to the unit and took it apart again and fitted the new one. Putting it back together and I stripped the thread on one of the housing bolts. DOH! Luckily I had a M8 tap and a slightly longer than std bolt. Managed to get it to take so put it all back together. Warmed up - no leaks. Run down the bypass and the temperature stayed up!

This morning, some coolant on the drive. Bugger. Open the bonnet and the short hose from the housing to the pipe that runs across the engine was dripping at the housing end. I hadn't touched that blooming hose but maybe the extra few degrees got to it. It was abit perished. I had spare hose, so bought new clips and replaced it. All good again. Just made it across the country to Cheshire (with 5l spare water) and nice and toasty and no coolant loss!

Tomorrow, TGM is in for a clutch change, and a Lambda sensor change at the local garage.
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Glad to hear you got there in the end Scott! I've had similar fun and games on my Volvo after the rad sprung a leak during the MoT about a month back.

After replacing the rad and no problems, i noitced the expansion tank to rad pipe was not only kinked but some numpty had covered it with duct tape suggesting a previous leak. In the end i made up a piece of 15mm copper pipe with straight Yorkshire fittings on the end to act as swages for the hose endings to create the bespoke shape i needed.

Always a useful option to fall back on. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:21 pm

I think I'll try and source another complete housing to replace my re-tapped one just in case...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:55 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:21 pm
I think I'll try and source another complete housing to replace my re-tapped one just in case...
Some parts are available new from Rimmers Scott :

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID004807

The 'stat housing is but the main housing that bolts to the head and the 'stat housing bolts to isn't. Ebay is likely to be your best fiend on this one! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Got TGM back with it's new clutch. Garage removed the damper as well to get a good pedal. Not slipping now. New Lambda sensor fitted and it is now moving around. 0.5-0.6 V and moving around. LPG not working correctly and a full scale temperature on the reducer reading - must be a wire off or something. ETA - The thermocouple wire has parted from the brass body so I'll order a new one. Gas Temp Error preventing it from working.

Got into TB2 this morning. Ignition on. Turn to start - nothing. Battery is good. Lights not dimming when trying to start. Any clues ?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:55 pm

Worth checking your wiring on the the temp sensor on the reducer Scott, also check to see if it shows full temp from cold as well (running on petrol) and if you either have an infra-red thermometer or a senstivie paw, physically check the temperature.

Sounds a bit like either ignition switch problems, loose startr relay or possibly a starter problem, exciter wire off the starter solenoid as a possibility. The other is sticky/worn brushes in which case tapping the starter may bring about a recovery. Needs a bit more investigation to see exactly where the fault lies first though. It's not automatic is it?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:53 am

Manual Dave. Got back last night and tried it again. Turning the key to the start position, you can hear a click after a short delay. Did it a few times then it started. Shut down and restarted several times without issue, and started straight away this morning!

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:38 am

It's a long shot, but are your battery terminals tight? I've had instances where there is enough contact for interior/dashboard lights but not enough for the heavy load of starting and all I got was a 'click'.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 am

I thought it was manual Scott, just wanted to eliminate the inhibitor switch from the diagnostics though.

It's an intermittent fault that seems to afflict all 800s at some point or another, never had any definitive test results to confirm the exact fault but on a few cars i've either changed or suggested the ignition switch is changed and that has seemed to cure the problem. Once the steering column cowl is off, it's only two screws and a plug to change the switch, no dismantling of the steering lock is needed.

Might be worth a try, it may or may not be the cause but will eliminate it from the diagnostics.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:06 pm

My perennial favourite is loose/corroded connectors on the starter motor. Easy to check too.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:56 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll check some terminals and connectors.
Got a thermostat housing off e-bay, so will put that on my list too.

Got the temp sensor on order too.

https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts ... m6-thread/

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Shsh, but TB2 has started OK every time since the issue...

TGM - I have fitted the reducer temp sensor, but the gas temp sensor is faulty. Strange, but it was reading when I carried out the Lambda tests. It comes as part of the injection rail which I am replacing as part of the maintenance suggested by Tinley Tech.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:07 am

Just a thought Scott, it might pay to check all the plug connection to/from the gas manifold and also the ECU in case something was unintentionally (and unknowingly) disturbed when the other work was done.

Something very strange going on there though! Also check the earth connection on the battery (or wherever Dusan put it) for the LPG ECU, if the battery was disconnected there may be a problem there and also check any other wiring around those general areas.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:21 pm

TB2 - Did that refusing to start thing again. Wiggled the small feed to the solenoid, and off she went. Two new front tyres.
TGM. New clutch still OK. LPG still not OK. Gas temp still not reading. Have joined an LPG forum for help. Luckily the guy who sorted the LPG last time is a contributor to the forum, and remembered the car. The old sensor is giving the correct resistance, so not faulty. I need to pull some of the loom apart to trace a potential short circuit.
Happy New Year to all our readers...

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:16 pm

Repairing TGM's LPG system.
Today I decided to trace the wiring back from the temperature sensor connection back to the ECU. After peeling back some PVC tape and starting to pull it from the split plastic loom, after about 10cm I found some crimped connectors with the earth out. Removed the connectors, replaced the red wire one and soldered the earth wire together. Plugged in the laptop and hey presto now reading correctly. Taped up and secured. Test drive and we have LPG again! Seems to have a bit of a rough idle, but drives OK even with the kinked copper feed pipe that I damaged when I replaced the reducer. Good news when fuel prices are rising!

New wheel trim ordered from Rimmers for TB2.