Thunderbird2 & Turbo Coupes

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thunderbird 2 & The Green Machine

Post by mercedade » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 am

The reason I went for those is that clearly, a previous owner had not been able to find Vitesse springs and had fitted standard - the result being a very ugly (and unstable) 'nose-up' stance. But I didn't want some dodgy sub-Halfords lowering kit from some anonymous ebay seller - I'd dealt with Darryl before (turbo diaphragm and other bits) and was pleased it was all good kit.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scotty2
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by scotty2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 am

Thanks for the info. Just chatted to Darryl and yes it would be 4 weeks so I'll have to try elsewhere for now.

Ordered these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-800-R1 ... Sw-V1cYsaz
800 Saloon, Fastback and Turbo Coupe!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:19 pm

Great news you're sorted with some springs Scott! As you're going to be having the units in bits, it might pay to renew the shocks at the same time :

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ashika-11669040.html

It's fair to assume if the spring has gone weak/collapsed/broken that the shocks will be carrying more than their fair share of the load so won't be in good shape.
As they've got to be dismantled to change the spring anyway, the only extra cost is that of the dampers/shock absorbers. :wink: :D

Forgot to ask - any progress on the LPG at all?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 pm

He is being sent to put some LPG in tomorrow (he has just finished assembling my new 12T press so can't persaude him to go today. At least all that practice with Lego and Mecano has done him some good if could build the press from the, and I use the term in its loosest sense, - "Instructions" !)

from the history:
-Uprated suspension. The rear suspension has been replaced with police spec, heavy duty springs (standard ride height) and adjustable (Koni reds I think) shock absorbers. The front has lowered springs with blanking plates to retain the correct ride height, and again adjustable shock absorbers. This makes for a firm, but excellent to drive ride – for a car it’s size it handles really well!

The ride is a bit too firm so I'll see if the shocks are adjustable. At first glance, they didn't look adjustable.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Fair enough, just so you know, towards the end of his ownership, he got a bit lax about updating his thread so it may be he fitted normal lowered springs and shocks and i seem to recall he did. I may of course be wrong.

Anyway, fingers crossed a fresh fill of LPG rectifies the situation but it might be worth checking both fuses are intact, the control one presumably is as you're getting lights on the switch but there should be others (at least one) to feed the solenoids, one on the reducer and the other on the tank.

It could also be the coils on them have simply failed and you are getting a feed but they're not operating the solenoids - replacement coils are available relatively cheaply from TinleyTech and other sources.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm

LPG Tank was about a 1/3 full so as I was told. Now full. Still no worky. I'll give Tinleytech a call.

Shock Absorbers. Hope they are OK because there seems to be no stock at the usual suspects, even my local factors couldn't source. Must have another sail on the bay of E.

ETA: "All car Parts" and the same "Mr Wiper" (the same company with two separate listings...) have one only. Any cross references for adjustable ones?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Unbelievable on those shocks! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

When i posted the link above, they had plenty in stock, i was going to get a pair of the Ashika ones (or whatever they're called) which are the same as the Japanparts units (even the same prat number) and i suspect (as do others but nobody has confirmed it yet) that Japanparts dampers are in fact KYB "Budget" range made with the same quality etc as the normal ones but sold cheaper so they still take the business from their competitors.

As for the LPG, check the usual things like fuses, loose/broken hoses on the gas pressure lines to the sensor and may be worth checking to see if there's a filter on the LPG inlet on the reducer.

Also check the reducer output stub to make sure it isn't full of "heavy ends" and likewise the filter feeding the gas rail on the inlet manifold - all of this can drop the available gas pressure to the injectors causing lack of changeover.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 pm

For reference Koni reds can be adjusted if that's what is fitted but I'm sure they need to be removed to do so.

It involves turning the damper shaft to adjust the tension from memory.

I did run mine in a softer setting briefly but seem to remember that made the handling very odd and floaty, so I always had mine set on the firmest setting.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Something in the back of my mind says Dusan had adjustable spring mounts made up and welded to the strut, can't remember exactly now, was about 4 years ago now and i've been asleep since then!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:17 am

TGM booked in for front spring change. The 35mm lower ones from standard. I'll ask the garage to investigate the type of shocks while at it. Too cold and awkward a job at this time of year for me to do...
LPG guy recommended elsewhere, is going to have a look at it next week.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:25 am

scotty2 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:17 am
TGM booked in for front spring change. The 35mm lower ones from standard. I'll ask the garage to investigate the type of shocks while at it. Too cold and awkward a job at this time of year for me to do...
LPG guy recommended elsewhere, is going to have a look at it next week.
Hopefully the LPG guy can find the problem and doesn't just "recommend" a new ECU and loom because he can't fathom the wiring and general install.

Similar on the shocks, hopefully they're the standard ones!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am

The system installed was originally a V8 one configured to run on one bank. It was changed to the "other" bank when a fault developed with the previous owner. It may well require swapping out the ECU and injectors for a 4 cyl set up. I don't mind investing a bit on that as we intend to keep the car.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:54 am

Something along those lines, yes. The person who did the conversion and used the 8 cylinder ECU was planning on changing to a 4-cylinder ECU, no need to change the injectors unless they're faulty but i suspect it's more likely to be a burned out solenoid coil on either the reducer or the tank. Either will prevent gas coming through and give zero gas pressure, resulting in the system thinking there is no gas and reverting to petrol.

Could be the ECU has given up the ghost completely but hopefully not!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scotty2
Regular Visitor

Post by scotty2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:02 pm

TGM now has new front springs, CV boots and pads. Shock absorbers are not adjustable but in working order.
The reason for the low ride height on the NS was due to the modification made on the spring platform failing. They have been removed and now it rides on lowered front springs and std shocks. It now has some actual suspension and much more pleasant to drive.
Next on the list is the LPG repair and to wash TB2 which you could possibly grow potatoes on at the moment...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:37 pm

scotty2 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:02 pm
TGM now has new front springs, CV boots and pads. Shock absorbers are not adjustable but in working order.
The reason for the low ride height on the NS was due to the modification made on the spring platform failing. They have been removed and now it rides on lowered front springs and std shocks. It now has some actual suspension and much more pleasant to drive.
Next on the list is the LPG repair and to wash TB2 which you could possibly grow potatoes on at the moment...
That's good news all round! I wondered if something along the lines of the spring platform had broken.

I know the feeling about being able to grow potatoes on the cars, mine are like that as well.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate