Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:23 am

Congratulations on becoming leak free. I achieved that in the Vitesse fastback. REALLY nice feeling.
Going to loom at getting some sound insulation & deadening for the fleet both to improve the sound quality of the stereo systems, and cut road noise.
The 2.7 Manual has the best system, by far, and is getting another Kenwood Amp soon. Along with a few new nuts and bolts.. Watch this space (or my own...)!
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks. Both my 800s are now dry inside. Look forward to seeing what happens on the ICE. I have an idea or two regarding door speakers; making a new pod, possibly bass reflex, that screws in the normal place but would facilitate a bigger speaker. Longer term project though...
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:09 pm

For those that might have the same problem as me, ie poorly replaced windscreen resulting in destroyed trim, particularly the top (not coupe, it'll be clear later).
As posted elsewhere, 'how to get trim off?', unfortunately resulted in an already damaged top trim basically being destroyed in order to get it off to stop the leak but off course the plastic chrome strip is NLA. Coupe ones are available and as the screen is the same, just a different rake, I thought it might be worth a punt. Some of you will know that the coup ones are all metal and all black. Looking at the profile compared to the corner piece;

It is possible to see, whilst similar, they are different. So what I've done is remove some of the plastic coating and file down the edge (this was just a test, I actually went in about 20mm).

Not overdoing the filing (ie slightly tapering) meant that the corner piece wedges on very firmly.

Now all this could be a little premature, as the trim fit to body work is close but I am unsure as to whether it will clip in or not but seeing as it was raining here today, I had to do something. There is some flex and I have new clips, so we'll see.
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Continuing with the windscreen trim, I was wondering if anybody else was aware of this little detail?

If you go onto the Rimmer site, the image shows that in order to fix the side trims you need DCC10013 clips -

These clips go over a flange down the sides of the windscreen and clip into some oblong holes., 5 five down each side. I dutifully bought some a few months ago ready for when I came to re-attach. However, I have come to do this but the clips wouldn't fit on the trim. Taking a closer look, the 'clip' is already on the trim, hilighted in yellow here.

Furthermore, this 'clip' runs down the entire length of the trim.

It now looks like a modification, where the trim is a push fit rather than using breakable, hard to get off clips. Does any body know when this change was made? Apologies to those that already knew; still finding out new stuff here. :)
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Have you got any part numbers for those clips and/or the windscreen trim Mark? That might be a way of finding out roughly when the change was made by checking the "From VIN xxxxxxxx" number.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

I haven't got access at the moment to Rover's own parts catalogue and only the part number for the LHS is available on Rimmers (even though NLA) which is DCB101050. It is also worth noting that on the Rimmers, and therefore Rover's original (?), the trim clip parts are transposed between the sides and top.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:54 am

Have a look on allbrit.de as well Mark, they list in English and also have pre and post 96 models so worth checking both :

allbrit.de/UGCtree.cfm?SPRACHE=EN

It might shed some light where Rimmers only sheds darkness. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:10 am

Same picture on Allbrit but parts are listed. Interestingly the top trim (coupe) that I got and fitted to my Sterling is listed at €94.28. As bought from Rimmers, £6.84 inc.
Could the piece be aftermarket?
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 am

If there's a "P" at the end of your part number Mark it's a pattern part, more likely though it's genuine and Rimmers were flogging them off cheap but allbrit have kept the original selling price, like Rimmers have on many things.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Sorry, confusing two things there. The top trim is genuine, just being sold cheaper by Rimmers.

The aftermarket, perhaps car show or similar I was referrring to is the side fixing extrusion.
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 pm

Well, it happened!

Apologies for the blur on the second image, I was moving (obviously) and someone else took the picture.

100000 and the Sterling probably hasn't driven better for the last 90000. :D Sound deadening etc really working well and I'm very pleased.

And in other news, the Vitesse passed MOT with no advisories (although probably should) after doing less than 2000 since last ticket.
Mark

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Excellent news. Yes sound deadening really does magic to any car. The 800 has it’s weak spots and if those are sorted it becomes a different car!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Congrats on the pass Mark and also on reaching the magic 100k miles! :wink: :D

Like Henrik said, soundproofing transforms the car into what it should have been when it was new
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Fantastic news Mark! Well done
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:29 pm

Thank you guys.

During the hot weather we're having in the UK, I decided to regas my aircon system. Against my better judgement I went to Crook Fit to ask them to pressure test it. On my return, they had actually regassed it and told me it was working fine and so it appeared to be. So I duely paid up and left. At first the aircon seemed OK, not super cold but cooler. This feeling only lasted a week or so before the system was blowing out warm air.

Now the odd thing is, the system appears to gassed, fans turn off and on depending on the setting and the condensor is working (I get a puddle). With the climate control 'off', a simple pressure test shows 'filled' but as soon as 'auto' is engaged the dial drops to zero. Does this indicate an issue with the compressor, ie not circulating the refridgerant or something else? Bit of a loss and right now could really do with some cool air in the car. I will be going back to KF to have their opinion and see if I can get a refund based on their temperature guarantee (in fairness, the system does appear gassed).
Last edited by Fastback on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark