Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 pm

It won't be terminal Mark :

http://www.automotiveelectronic.co.uk/c ... iliser.htm

As for your existing CCU, i don't think a detailed schematic of the CCU exists, maybe somewhere in the inner bowels of a Rover technical library that has long since been forgotten.

If you can locate the pin that the CCU uses to earth the courtesy lights, the people that currently have it should be able to trace that back inside the CCU to a transistor or possibly a MOSFET - chances are that's the problem with it. If it isn't, they should be able to trace the fault back further.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:08 pm

BBA Reman are supposed to be good and I have sent them some circuit diagrams and the pin configuration on the sockets on the CCU. I have contacted Lucas (fat chance) to see if the have any legacy information. I have contacted a chap who does keys as he clearly has access to CCUs. I shall have a word with Auotmotive Electronics tomorrow. Of course it's not the immobiliser element that has failed nor the key but it's worth a go.

Thanks for the contact.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:14 pm

The question has to be, 'What did Rover do if one failed?'. Did they really fit a whole new set; key transponder, fob, MEMs ECU and CCU? I doubt it. They probably got a replacement CCU and programmed it with the correct code. I'm guessing they used T4 or something similar. My brother and I need to research T4 a bit (of course we can't get together right now) and find out.

But I'm definitely not a happy bunny right now. :evil:
Last edited by Fastback on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 pm

My line of thought was if you have to get another CCU then you could either get a fob programmed to it or have the immobiliser bypassed, neither are cheap options but better than scrapping the car.

The other option would be a matched set of fob, CCU, ECU and if yours is late enough, the RF receiver under the centre console. Some have to be swapped as part of the set, others don't, no rhyme or reason to that one.

Trouble is, most breakers don't realise they should be kept as a matched set and just sell single items willy-nilly with no thought as to whether it will work in the end-users car. :roll:

As you say, Rover would have renewed the CCU and programmed it to the car with the specific options for that model. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am

Well, 'Automotive Electronics' were no use, they don't deal with Rover 800 stuff at all and assured me that nobody would be interested in helping as it's 'too old'. They even denied the existence of the web page claiming 'old browser'. He couldn't get off the phone quick enough!

I'm glad to say they are wrong. BBA are at least looking at the CCU, so they're trying and there is a possibility that if I can find the right CCU, a chap I have dealt with before can help. Slim options but we're following up.

It's now become a crusade and two fingers to those who say it can't be done!
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am

Damned Cheek! My browser updated just a few days ago so their excuse of an old browser doesn't hold water!
More likely the bloke who knew about Rover 800 stuff has left (maybe works for BBA now! :P :lol: ) and the rest of them have no idea.

Fingers crossed BBA will come up with something though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:20 pm

How quickly things can turn around but only with intervention.

As mentioned, BBA Reman were intially unable to trace the correct circuitry for the lights and had told me they couldn't fix it. Thanks to things like Rave and club resources I was able to send them the pin configuration for the CCU detailing the relevant sockets and pins (something that I had been studying myself intently trying to trace the problem) and telling them which page in the pdf for the lighting circuit. BBA thankfully had another look and were able to follow the board back and find the faulty component. I received the unit back today and it is functioning as it should! :D :D :D

So thanks to BBA for persevering and thanks to clubs for support and data base knowledge, no thanks to 'A.E.'. It is also worth mentioning that the 'other chap' was also prepared to have a look, possibly recoding a CCU.

So far from 'nobody being interested', several people worked together and won.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:23 pm

That's great news Mark! Did they indicate which component had failed?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 pm

They did mention it on the phone yesterday but I've forgotten, I was just so pleased when they told me they'd fixed it.

But failing ECU/CCU is a serious issue for many vehicles. I wonder if it is possible to 'download' the contents of these things and then upload to run on something like a Raspberry Pi?
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:14 am

Fastback wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 pm
They did mention it on the phone yesterday but I've forgotten, I was just so pleased when they told me they'd fixed it.

But failing ECU/CCU is a serious issue for many vehicles. I wonder if it is possible to 'download' the contents of these things and then upload to run on something like a Raspberry Pi?
Did they say anything like "transistor" or MOSFET"?

There are a number of aftermarket stand-alone engine management systems though Mark which can replace the ECU and parts of the CCU :

https://www.emeraldm3d.com/k6-ecu-info- ... cification

Most functions of the CCU can be replicated using old fashioned switches and relays althoug i daresay someone with better software knowledge than me could configure a Rapbery Pie to run a similar program or even a few PIC controllers.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:01 am

And so the continuing saga.

The Vitesse continues to fight me all the way. Having got the CCU back from BBA and then a couple of radio keys made up (thanks to Ian at Remote Key) I decided to take it for a run. It hasn't moved since October/November; starts up no problem, drives no problem and then about a mile from home want to turn right. Put the indicator on, funny whirring noise and the all the dials go bonkers. Temp guage into red, revs round to red, speedo round to red! The whirring noise turns out to be the odometer and trip counters spinning round, adding mileage but going nowhere.

On further checking the left stalk, operating the lights turns the windscreen wipers on, front and rear. It appears to be the wash cycles. I'm thinking BBA has fixed one issue but caused many others. Today I swapped out the CCU for the one from the Sterling. No, the engine won't start but I can check the other functions, which I do. It's exactly the same?

So BBA are off the hook and it's possibly a dodgy earth or a faulty left stalk (or one and the same?). The left indicator is fine as is the right stalk. Suggestions anybody please?
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 am

Perhaps this should be in 'In-car entertainment'.

On a different note, I am designing a new door speaker pod to mimick the OEM. This is my favoured one at the moment;

The difference being that the speaker will sit on top rather than in the housing. It needs some refinement and possibly some minor dimension changes. Crucially, it is angled and incorporates a rain cover. Comprising of four parts, the main pod, two levels of flexible cushioning/vibration absortion (in blue) and the rain cover component. As seen here it takes a five inch (130mm) speaker and with minor mods, can be adapted up to 6 inch (155mm). It is designed to be 3D printed.

I am aware that folk have used various plastic sheets etc to install new speakers (as I have done previously) but this is surely better? Haven't printed a full version yet but have done quick 'fit check' prototypes. Suggestions and comments welcome, eg 'waste of time' or best thing since...', it is still in the design stage after all.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:05 am

You've been feeding your Gremlins after midnight and getting them wet again, haven't you Mark? :shock:

First obvious thought that comes to mind is that you've swapped the plugs on the column stalks. Second is somewhere you've unplugged two plugs and inadvertently swapped them over on reassembly, third thought is incorrect plugs on the back of the instrument cluster.

Next thought is you've left a jump wire in place from your testing or left something else disconnected/unplugged that you should have reconnected.

Just to clarify, the guages etc all work normally until you try to use the right indicator?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:11 am

Fastback wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:15 am
Perhaps this should be in 'In-car entertainment'.

On a different note, I am designing a new door speaker pod to mimick the OEM. This is my favoured one at the moment;

The difference being that the speaker will sit on top rather than in the housing. It needs some refinement and possibly some minor dimension changes. Crucially, it is angled and incorporates a rain cover. Comprising of four parts, the main pod, two levels of flexible cushioning/vibration absortion (in blue) and the rain cover component. As seen here it takes a five inch (130mm) speaker and with minor mods, can be adapted up to 6 inch (155mm). It is designed to be 3D printed.

I am aware that folk have used various plastic sheets etc to install new speakers (as I have done previously) but this is surely better? Haven't printed a full version yet but have done quick 'fit check' prototypes. Suggestions and comments welcome, eg 'waste of time' or best thing since...', it is still in the design stage after all.
That looks like the speaker will be angled downwards Mark? You'll get a muffled sound if so as the treble notes will be absorbed by the carpets.
Like the idea of the splash shield but will it interfere with the window mech? Also the two favoured sizes these days appear to be 5.25"/130mm and 6.5" which is ~160mm, i've always used 5.25" directly into the door where the original "port" normally screws on. Perhaps a parallel ring to replicate the original port/pod so a 5.25" speaker could be mounted closer to how it was originally would be easier to do?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks Dave. You can't swap over the C64 and C65 connectors that go to the column but I will check they are properly seated because I had disconnected them looking for the problem originally, good to be reminded. Yes, all dials work correctly until the right indicator is activated (left is fine), the car does not even need the engine running, second click on the ignition is enough.

Re the pod,

Mine is a replicated design which follows the original, certainly on the mk2, viz;

And when I say 5 in, I do mean 5¼". The treble can still be connected to the high level tweeter in the door (in the same housing as the door release). Naturally I have measured the window clearance and 45mm splash stll leaves over 15mm for the window, it's good to see we are thinking along similar lines. The rain cover can be any size (up to a max of 60mm) and would be available as a separate part. The thickness of a speaker sitting on top of the pod has also been taken into consideration.

I have used a 'square' mounting surface to match an area on the door, hilighted in white

and also to facilitate bigger speakers and for mounting screws for all sizes. I already have a simple design for a flat plate. This one shown is for 16cm speakers;

The nice thing about flat designs is they can be printed in one part. The bad things is they leave a huge gap between speaker and the grill so the sound is not channeled correctly. It would need a soft interface inserted and some are commercially available.
Mark