Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am

If memory serves Mark, there is meant to be a ring of acoustic foam on the back of the door card to chaneel the sounds out through the OE speaker grille. Something similar would almost certainly work as well.

I no longer use the OE door tweeters, i have triaxial speakers instead as the OE ones had a ver y low power rating. Can't remember what it was but even the head unit on its own is more than they were rated for, i have a second amp to go in the front speaker circuits.

Maybe a hybrid of your design and the original to give extra channeling/porting for the speaker would work?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:25 pm

You are right. The foam ring is only 5mm thick and a flat design pod leaves a gap of approximately 30mm at the widest end. My current speakers in the Vitesse are JBL GTO 529 (X4) with an offset coaxial design, ie the tweeter is angled, driven by a Kenwood head unit. I have primarily done this pod for myself but was wondering what the overall 'demand/interest' might be. A hybrid design? Care to draw me a picture of what you mean and I'll see if can do anything. There is only a limited amount of space and I was looking to try some sort of bass reflex system but not sure it's possible. There's this design,

which could be used (ports facing back though) or a spiral design, in a tube in place of the rain cover but depth is an issue (back of speaker and window) and I'm really not sure it's worth it.

I haven't gone down the road of separate amps/subs as there's not much space to mount them in the car and I frequently load up the boot!
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:43 pm

You are right. The foam ring is only 5mm thick and a flat design pod leaves a gap of approximately 30mm at the widest end. My current speakers in the Vitesse are JBL GTO 529 (X4) with an offset coaxial design, ie the tweeter is angled, driven by a Kenwood head unit. I have primarily done this pod for myself but was wondering what the overall 'demand/interest' might be. A hybrid design? Care to draw me a picture of what you mean and I'll see if can do anything. There is only a limited amount of space and I was looking to try some sort of bass reflex system but not sure it's possible. There's this design,

which could be used (ports facing back though) or a spiral design, in a tube in place of the rain cover but depth is an issue (back of speaker and window) and I'm really not sure it's worth it.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:39 pm

Let me try and describe my hybrid design Mark, not really up to drawing at the moment for various reasons.

On the original, it moves the speaker away from the door at an upwards angle. THat means in simple terms the speaker is mounted on a length of tube attached to the base.

Your thicker base with proper holes for the speaker mounting lugs but with a printed tube between the mase and mounting lugs is what i'm thinking, possible with a grille mounted on another tube that secures to the front of the speaker with lugs that sit on top of the speaker mounting lugs.

Does that make sense?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Back to my little electrical gremlin.

Been a lovely 'Autumnal' feeling day here (raining now though), so I decided to have a quick check of the joining blocks that I looked at, checked the fuses, all fine. To confuse matters a little further, switching on the hazard lights gave the same odd buzzing noise that the left indicator made but without the dials going mad. Had a look up inside behind the dash to see if I could determine where it was coming from and saw a floating, disconnected joining block. Obviously, that's not right, found the other end, reconnected it and problem solved!

Not sure what the joining block is, don't care right now, just glad it's fixed. Really odd though, I've not been working up there at all and of course everything was fine prior to removal of the CCU. Weird.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 pm

I thought it would be something simple Mark - nice find anyway and well done! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Good news

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:36 am

Water ingress continues to be a problem (Vitesse). It is pooling in the sills, which I believe is not uncommon and causes them to rot out. It appears the weather seal allows water in but not out :lol: ! To compound the issue, parking on a hill facing up, the N/S rear passenger sill has bridged over the fabric edge trim and filled the rear seat pan with water and then some has then overflowed from there to under the carpet into the rear footwell. :evil:

I've had a look and I think it could be a simple fix as I believe it is just one of maintainence. Looking at the seal on the door, it would appear that with the years water does slowly work it's way round the extrusion bringing with dirt etc and all that turns to slime, which then accelerates the process. That's my take on it. So I removed the door seal, thoroughly cleaned it and smothered it in clear silicone grease. It has rained since but I don't know how hard/prolonged as I was asleep. However there was no evidence of water in the sills but time and another downpour will tell.

I will do the off side and all doors in the Sterling as well next (I found small water traces in the sills). If I've not assessed this correctly and somebody out there has got a difinitive cause/solution, please share.

And don't get started on the seal 'T' clips...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:46 am

Sunroof drains?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:51 am

Not this time. Because I have got the door trims off you could actually see the puddles in the sill and when you opened those doors you got a shoe full of water! :lol:
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:06 am

Fastback wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:51 am
Not this time. Because I have got the door trims off you could actually see the puddles in the sill and when you opened those doors you got a shoe full of water! :lol:
Drain holes in the bottoms of the doors?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:37 am

A good call but the the drain holes for the doors are on the other 'outside' side of the seal. I looked closely at the seal before removing it and you could see where the water was trapped and therefore likely to trace round. And there was a lot of slime when I cleaned the rubbers and slime isn't water tight. I have wondered about water inside the door falling onto the membrane and then tracking to that inside space.

However, I'm reasonably confident that the seal is the problem but don't know yet whether what I've done solves it. I have even considered putting another rubber strip in the frame but that could cause more problems than it solves.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:10 am

The drainholes should still drain excess water from the door carcase though Mark?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:54 pm

Water is pooling in the area of the chrome sill plates, being trapped by the door weather strip, the felt seam/wind seal and the rise in the body work to the 'B' (front sill) and 'C' (rear sill) pillars . So unless I made a break in the weather strips it can't go any where except into the car.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:30 pm

It's a strange one Mark and no mistake!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate