Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:57 pm

I think the Forte Seal Conditioner is similar to the "seal swell" present in ATF but the creeping action of the ATF seems to help clean things and shift any crud that happens to be around.

The YouTube guy who runs "Project Farm" channel once drained a lawnmower engine of the engine oil and refilled with ATF, compression before and after was different, after it was higher which to me suggests it frees sticky piston rings too. I know my emissions improved year-on-year (particularly the HC and the CO dropped too) since using Carlube ATF-U in with the engine oil and power/economy also improved. This guy used ONLY ATF as engine oil rather than about 10% which is what i use :

https://youtu.be/bE2F-vefQdA

Granted it's 10 minutes of your life you won't get back but a fairly interesting 10 minutes nonetheless. The ATF he uses is very similar to the Carlube so is a good comparison.

Sort of surprised you went for Iridium plugs, they have their benefits of longer service life etc but then steel plugs can corrode into aluminium heads so i'm always a bit dubious about that side of things.

From what i learned when looking for plugs for my Jeep Cherokee which was also meant to use BKR6E plugs, they are near identical to BCPR6ES plugs which were a hell of a lot cheaper! Maybe NGK et al decided to make a change to the designation just so they could justify a bigger price!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:35 am

Sort of surprised you went for Iridium plugs, they have their benefits of longer service life etc but then steel plugs can corrode into aluminium heads so i'm always a bit dubious about that side of things.
A few points really. Yes, the longevity, if they last 60-100,000 miles, then that's the last time I'll probably change the plugs. I read that they have a higher burn temperature, which should equal cleaner and more efficient. Also (for some reason) they are allegedly quieter in operation, although I have no idea why that might be. Given those reasons, I reckon they're worth a punt.

And so what if not? 25 quid on some standards and an hour to swap over. 'T'aint no big thing', as somebody once said. But who...? :wink:
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:16 am

Fastback wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:35 am
And so what if not? 25 quid on some standards and an hour to swap over. 'T'aint no big thing', as somebody once said. But who...? :wink:
Wow, how much for 6 standard plugs?????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333205755541

Buy two of those at £8.63 each delivered totalling £17.26 and youve saved almost half the next set!

Alternatively buy three of these and you have two full sets :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401496584078

Yours for £31.47 for two sets or a smidge under £15.74/set of six.

No idea on the quote, found it attributed to several different people!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 am

I chose a random number based on about £4 a plug (Rimmers OEM £4.65, Platinums are also a touch more expensive). But your point makes mine even more so, if the Iridiums don't work, then it's only £16 to change. Not going to sweat £16.

However, if you think £25 is expensive, then I'm not telling you how much the Iridiums cost! :wink: :lol:
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:18 am

Iridiums are usually about a tenner apiece, i have come across some that were £40 each (15 years ago, no doubt even more now!) and there were 16 on that engine! :o :shock: :o

My Jag uses Iridiums and a 100k change interval which apparently necessitates the inlet manifold removal! Eek! Coolant and oil/filter change plus 6 plugs soon adds up to £3-400 just for parts and fluids! That said, it's only every 100k miles so not quite so bad..........
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:55 am

eBay and Amazon are now such a minefield for fake spark plugs - it's horrendous. There's some good guides on spotting the signs (the usual stuff like crappy printing on the boxes and poor quality manufacturing) but obviously the fakers get better and the cycle starts again.

It's one of those components where you almost have to pay over the odds just to get them from a reputable supplier.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:04 am

Yes, there are even YouTube vids on what to look out for (what if they're made by the fakers just to lead you on to their products :shock: ). I researched the company and bought them through their own website, although they do have an eBay presence as well. Looking at the packaging, threads and print on the plugs, I'm happy that the NGK BKR6 EIX that I got are originals.

And the company did state that they only sold 100% genuine NGK plugs. :wink: :lol:
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:30 am

Sadly fake parts are rife these days Mark and i think many even find their way into retail shops.

Going back to soon after i got the Volvo, the drop links got weak (they were the originals so were ~28 years old then) so looked on fleabay and found some Meyle ones at a reasonable price - not cheap but on offer so they were comparable to other aftermarket ones. If you don't know, Meyle are one of the more respected aftermarket Volvo parts people so i bought them.
One failed within 6 weeks and the other wasn't far behind. Found a pair of Delphi replacements (that were actually cheaper at full price than the Meyles at "discounted" price) and fitted them, still gong strong.

With this in mind i take the view on spark plugs (being relatively easy to change) that if i can get them from a (usually previously used) supplier that has a good price i don't mind taking the risk of them being fake if they're at a good enough price. Ive just renewed the plugs in the Volvo a few months back but they'd been in there ~18k miles so had a right to need replacing, previous set (bought from a local parts shop) only lasted ~6 weeks so i suspect they were fake.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:19 pm

Well, more fun and games of running a rare car. The back box on the Sterling has blown with a nice 3" hole along the seam. I put this one on a few years ago as a stop gap and I think it's actually from a two litre. To my shock and (not really) surprise, a back box section for the KV6 2•5 litre is not available. Anywhere!

My very local exhaust fabricator can only offer a straight through back box and I'm really not keen on that for an idea. Trying to get one made up elsewhere but I need the proper specification, not only of the back box but also of the mini (straight through?) muffler at the flange. I believe from my initial enquiries, the rear box has baffles with no 'straight through' element. It would be nice to get hold of a worn one and cut it open.

That twin muffler configuration, now that I think about, makes sense. I have always complained about a cabin boom, which is more prevelant in a fastback than saloon. I can't remember ever having an exhaust system with the the mini muffler, which also then questions the main back box. The correct arrangement is needed to kill that resonance at about 2200-2500rpm.

I've lashed up the box with a metal strap bandage whilst I make my enquiries. At least it's reasonbly quiet again :lol: .
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:05 am

What a bummer Mark! Somehow my 827 ended up with an 825 back box on it but that's gone now so i can't even check dimensions for you.

I suspect your best bet is a secondhand one to get you through for the time being and meanwhile hunt for a NOS one on ebay. If it's any help, the Klarius part number is RR286A.

I'm fairly certain it's a modified 827 back box by adding the resonator just after the flange to damp out the boom you get at 2-2500rpm, i would hazard a guess adding a generic resonator of 4-6" length would remove that noise pretty effectively and even a straight through back box would make a good job of silencing.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 pm

I've been in already been in touch with Klarius; they no longer make, nor have the means to make, the part. I was able to ask some questions but the technicals are not to be made available That is a shame but fair enough.

I'm not sure if one of our 'stock' vehicles has an original spec pipe but I need to check. Otherwise it's guess work now. However perhaps the guage of pipe would be a good start; 2", 2¼" or 2½"?

Obviously the remake will be in stainless (different timbre anyway), it'll last and it's expensive, so it's got to be right.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:44 pm

Fastback wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 pm

I'm not sure if one of our 'stock' vehicles has an original spec pipe but I need to check. Otherwise it's guess work now. However perhaps the guage of pipe would be a good start; 2", 2¼" or 2½"?

Obviously the remake will be in stainless (different timbre anyway), it'll last and it's expensive, so it's got to be right.
That bit is fairly easy to work out, assuming your centre section is correct for an 825 - measure the OD of your cente pipe and that's the pipe size for the back box. On the 827, it's 1 7/8", fairly sure the KV6 used the same size and so did the 2.0 n/asp - the turbo 2.0 i believe used 2 1/4".

If all else fails, 2" OD would be a good choice. Looking at the 75 V6, that uses a 57mm (2 1/4" OD) system but the system itself is a fair bit shorter as it's more direct than the route the 800 system takes. I can't remember all the formulae for pulse tuning but length and diameter make a huge difference to performance, economy and noise. When i first got my Coupe, the exhaust was pretty rough but i had a stainless (Mongoose?) system from a 2.0 turbo that was fitted on a breaker car i bought. Put that on the Coupe, it was noisy, thirsty and gutless.
Eventually i did a deal with Tom (Traineefarmer on here) and he supplied and mostly fitted an el-cheapo aftermarket 827 system. He fitted the Mongoose (?) stainless system on his Vitesse Coupe. Both of us ended up with quieter, more economical and faster cars.
The journey home for me after getting the new system (specifically for the 827 and 1 7/8" OD instead of 2 1/2" stainless) was one of the few times i accidentally saw triple figures on the speedo of that car, 120+ and still accelerating like the clappers! With the stainless system it would struggle to get above 90mph and the economy improved from about 22mpg on a run to 33-34mpg.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:46 am

No such luck. The system is non standard from the cat back. I have a couple more avenues that I'm exploring.

The Sterling did have a stainless system on it when bought but it was really noisy. That is now on the Vitesse with a couple of reducers in the tailpipes and is much quieter. Like you found, doing the swap improved both vehicles but of course completely the wrong system on the Sterling.

We may have an aftermarket correct system but the owner is not letting me cut it open; how miserable is that? :lol:
Last edited by Fastback on Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:24 pm

Fastback wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:46 am
No such luck. The system is non standard from the cat back. I have a couple more avenues that I'm exploring.

The Sterling did have a stainless system on it when bought but it was really noisey. That is now on the Vitesse with a couple of reducers in the tailpipes and is much quieter. Like you found, doing the swap improved both vehicles but of course completely the wrong system on the Sterling.

We may have an aftermarket correct system but the owner is not letting me cut it open; how miserable is that? :lol:
Have you got a Boroscope Mark? Have a look at if from the inside out! :P

I'm fairly certain they are straight through but the back box is (from front to back) a plenum chamber then two silencers (straight through) side-by-side sharing the silencer case then out into each tailpipe. Does that make sense?
You could also prove it's straight through (more or less) by poking a long thin rod, wire or similar up each tailpipe - if you know an electrician, see if they'll lend you their mouse/drawtape or even a thick piece of strimmer line or similar.
Once you know for sure it's straight through (probably along the lines of what i've suggested) then you know how you can approach building a suitable replacement. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:50 pm

I do, but it is only a cheap one and the software to my mobile device seems to have stopped working :evil: . I need to check this other sytem to see if it is correct and check the other garaged vehicles.

I've been turned down by another manufacturer today, but another has been approached. In addition I have written to a historical organisation to see if they can help.

Has anybody heard of or know anything about a company called 'DNETTIGO'? I can't find anything about them, no reviews, no location and a quick search reveals only two results :shock: :? . They seem to offer quite an eclectic selection of goods, perhaps NOS, end of line, etc. Weird.
Mark