Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by mercedade » Wed May 13, 2020 7:56 am

That looks cool - nice idea.

Getting the rounded chamfered edge will be tricky so good luck to you - maybe consider (if you're covering it in leather) creating a small recess into which the veneer can sit? Might help with the neatness of a finish?
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Wed May 13, 2020 8:15 am

I''m actually planning to sit the veneer on top of the leather to hide the edges;

Hence the recess in the back of the panel. Gets a bit tight round the switches, though.
Last edited by Fastback on Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 am

And Adrian, you've given me an idea for rounding the edges. I have a rotary tool, aka a Dremmel and it has a mini routing attachment. Bits are available for rounding, like a full size router but without the bearing. I have the holes/panel sides as guides and it will give me a uniformity of finish.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:33 am

Fastback wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 am
And Adrian, you've given me an idea for rounding the edges. I have a rotary tool, aka a Dremmel and it has a mini routing attachment. Bits are available for rounding, like a full size router but without the bearing. I have the holes/panel sides as guides and it will give me a uniformity of finish.
I like that idea! Combining that and your idea of doing more than one layer of veneer you could hide the edges of the leather look vinyl as well, perhaps use a cheaper veneer for the under-layers, after all it will be covered by the burr-walnut veneer so why pay top dollar for something that won't be seen? As long as the basic tone/colour of the wood is similar, it's unlikely to be noticed as different. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu May 14, 2020 10:23 pm

I thought I was doing OK in lockdown, then this happened;

Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Fastback wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:23 pm
I thought I was doing OK in lockdown, then this happened;

That looks like you've gone a bit mad with the fine Milliput Mark?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Gelcoat filler, actually. Yes, I think I am now committed (in more than one sense of the word :lol: ) to covering it. And you should see the other side. It is so far out the filler is over one inch wide :shock: . It's what I said about the consoles being cheap. Damn you Reydel!

The material to cover it arrived today. Excellent colour but not as stretchy as the stuff I used on the pillar trims.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Fastback wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 pm
Gelcoat filler, actually. Yes, I think I am now committed (in more than one sense of the word :lol: ) to covering it. And you should see the other side. It is so far out the filler is over one inch wide :shock: . It's what I said about the consoles being cheap. Damn you Reydel!

The material to cover it arrived today. Excellent colour but not as stretchy as the stuff I used on the pillar trims.
In fairness, the material for the console doesn't need to be as stretchy mark as there are fewer curves etc.

Now if you want a cheap centre console, buy a 7xx Volvo! It wobbles, squeaks, rattles and is made of plastic about half the thickness of the Rover one and twice as brittle.
That's partly why i mentioned i was looking at bigger bits of veneer in my earlier post. I need something to beef it up more than somewhat and while i'm at it, something a bit more attractive than plain, smooth, black plastic.
Also the door card inserts are a sort of dark grey felt - a cheap material that although has worn well, looks just wrong in what would have been a near £30k car when new. The idea of a large piece of veneer was to cover various parts of the console and dash and the 4 door card inserts in the same veneer.

Considering the 760GLE (which i've got) was meant to be Volvos flagship at the time, it's short on a lot of things the Rover has as standard., quality being one of them!

I'm sure i can bring it up to standard eventually and i think i might be looking for some similar vinyal to what you're using. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 am

Interesting comparison of the Rover and 760 Dave, allthough I’m in Sweden I have very little experience in the 740/60 range as we never had one. In my world back then the 760 was a pure luxury car. Interesting on the choices of material. I can make a very straight comparison between the Audi 100 my father bought new in -87 to my -89 vitesse. The Audi was well built for sure and a comfortable long journey car but the vitesse is so much more refined.

Mark, I have some veneer and was doing the square panel between the gearstick and the handbrake. I glued the veneer to the plate and put it in some press while moist. It was turning out very well but unfortunately I chipped the edge so that project is on hault. The dilemma with the veneer is the very rough surface it actually has. It takes quite a few layers of clear cote laquer to hide it. My plan is to do it again but this time I’m getting a solid piece of Walnut instead. I have some left from when I did my dash in my Austin Seven.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 am

In some respects it sounds like i'm making out the Volvo is a heap of cheap rubbish, that isn't the case though. It's the corner cutting that is so obvious on an otherwise well-built car that gets to me. The finish on some of the interior plastics, the electrical system is a total nightmare (but not as bad as French cars), the corrugated cardboard for the headlining former/biscuit plus a few other things.
I know all manufacturers cut corners (and costs) but on a luxury car, just not right. Even the bodged bits of the Rovers are better than the bodged bits of the Volvo.

That said, both are still better than most of what was out there at a similar time when they were new and having owned a 1986 Audi 100 CD5E some years back, i'd definitely agree with your analysis of it in comparison to the Vitesse.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

Unfortunately, I take the opinion that most cars are rubbish and cheap it's just that most people don't like to admit that their's is. All cars have problems, be it electrical, leaking something, somewhere, rust, bits falling off etc. If you consider even a modest £25, 000 car;

Annual milage say, 15000
average speed driven- 40mph
life of car - 10years

That means your car has only worked for 3,750 hours, which is 156 days. You expect a £200 telly to last longer.
Last edited by Fastback on Fri May 15, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:01 am

Fastback wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 am
Unfortunately, I take the opinion that most cars are rubbish and cheap it's just that most people don't like to admit that their is. All cars have problems, be it electrical, leaking something, somewhere, rust, bits falling off etc. If you consider even a modest £25, 000 car;

Annual milage say, 15000
average speed driven- 40mph
life of car - 10years

That means your car has only worked for 3,750 hours, which is 156 days. You expect a £200 telly to last longer.
Great way of showing how to waste £24800 Mark! :P :lol:

That's meant seriously as well as a joke and that's what i don't get about people who trade their cars in because it's "old and knackered" at 20k miles!

What they really mean is it needs a service, something becoming increasingly difficult to do, even for main dealers - no sump plug to drain the oil, often no dipstick (except the designer of the car!) but many enthusiasts find ways round it all. I've heard of enthusiasts in Germany drilling holes in the sump pans of new BMWs, Porsches, Mercedes etc so they can change the engine oil and many have done similar with the gearboxes too.

Meanwhile back in the real world, people like us continue to repair and improve our old chariots that are serviced and looked after. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am

Work continues on the console. It is now covered and ready for the burr insert.

Which isn't made yet...
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 am

Fastback wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:38 am
Work continues on the console. It is now covered and ready for the burr insert.

Which isn't made yet...
Looking good there Mark! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 am

Following on from re the leaks;

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... 82#p155382

I see a trickle when peering through the wiper linkage apertures (all gubbings removed) on the far side of the intake (not inside) on the bulkhead. I can't even photograph it to demonstrate where. And water does drain freely from the wiper linkage chamber.

I still think it's possible that I have at least two entry points as there is also moisture near that wiring loom entry point. In the cabin there is a drip roughly in the middle of the passenger footwell, close to the slope of the bulkhead and another moisture point that comes from the left. Could be the same leak just tracking or not.

It's not the scuttle panel screw directly above the intake (dealt with) and I'm not even sure it's still not the windscreen, although that is taped up as a process of elimination.
Mark