Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by Manalishi » Thu May 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Nice work there!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 am

Fastback wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 am

Quarter panel Seam - This is a bigger problem on the fastback due to the greater body flex. Under that fillet on the roof is a join which cracks and opens;

Loads of Captain Tolley in here over several days with drives in between applications to stress the join. I had water dripping onto my speaker grills (my finishers are not replaced yet) and also continuing down behind the lining.
This is I reckon where most of my issues are/were occurring.

Probably time to give another few rounds of Captain Tolley's to be honest.

However, my Vitesse is currently parked up off the road - trying to devote some time and funds to keeping it around for a little longer, but life keeps getting in the way!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 am

mercedade wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 am
Fastback wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 am

Quarter panel Seam - This is a bigger problem on the fastback due to the greater body flex. Under that fillet on the roof is a join which cracks and opens;

Loads of Captain Tolley in here over several days with drives in between applications to stress the join. I had water dripping onto my speaker grills (my finishers are not replaced yet) and also continuing down behind the lining.
This is I reckon where most of my issues are/were occurring.

Probably time to give another few rounds of Captain Tolley's to be honest.

However, my Vitesse is currently parked up off the road - trying to devote some time and funds to keeping it around for a little longer, but life keeps getting in the way!
You might be better off hooking out the original seam-sealer Adrian and replacing it with new stuff, my experience of it on my Sterling is that it dries and cracks with age and vibration. It's a shame there isn't a rust converter you could just trickle into the leaky areas to fix the rust before renewing the seam-sealer.

Great ideas there Mark, i haven't really commented as mine is a saloon and some of your things just wouldn't fit. Another quick method of tail light gasket improvement is to re-use the originals after washing out in strong washing up liquid, rinsing well, drying then refitting back to front on the opposite hand light with a smear of silicone grease on both sides. Turning them round like this puts the previously compressed parts in different places so it effectively uses a piece of virgin foam.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:18 pm

With a couple of days of fine-ish weather, I have fitted the water deflectors.

I was able to get some Kurust, undercoat and some topcoat on the offside before fitting. More views,

What you can't see is the 3mm washer I made to go under the rounded end of the deflector. This is to raise it to the same level as the body of the car so there is no awkward flexing.

Seam sealer isn't the most attractive finish but it's hidden for most of the time and in use, I'm not going to be looking at it. I think it's the best thing for the job but if some has got a better idea... Windscreen adhesive might be an option as you have some time to 'tool' it but it's a big tube for a small area.

I've had a couple of spells of rain and after one I had a little water in right corner of the boot, less than a saucer full, before I fitted the deflector so we'll see if any more gets in as I haven't altered anything else.

All I need now is some rain; shouldn't have to wait too long! :lol:
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Looking good Mark, got plenty of rain here that you're welcome to have if you like!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Interesting fix. Looking forward to updates after further trials.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:37 pm

Good work there.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:53 am

Well I didn't have to wait too long for rain. It hammered down last night and continued this morning. However, there has been a small respite, so I've rushed out to check my work.

As can be seen, the deflector clearly has taken the brunt of the flow, especially when you compare it with my Sterling,

The water tracked right round and on to the seal and all the way down, there is no water on the Vitesse boot seal.

If there were any weakness water would pour in. It also shows how water drains over the tail-light, which is why I'm experimenting with the foam divertor mentioned above. Fortunately the Sterling is dry although I will be fixing the deflectors.

Perhaps more importantly, the Vitesse is also dry so I'm optomistic this is a fix. I'm confident that even if water is getting in elsewhere, the deflector removes this stress point.
Mark

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:07 pm

Well done Mark
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:51 am

One of the door speakers in the Sterling was faulty, so time to swap out. After some discussion on here previously regarding the merits of co-axial speakers in the doors regarding the tweeter positioning and the quality of the OEM ones, I decided to go for a component installation. After looking at the usual suspects I decided to go for Hertz dieci DSK 130.3, lesser known but a well regarded name.

I have also modified my speaker pod design to something more like people expect to see,

This mimics the OEM pod but made to have to speaker sitting on top rather than inside. I made a gasket to sit on the rim,

And this is how it looks with my raincover,

Aftermarket Sub Zero co-ax speakers had been fitted by a previous owner but fitting the woofer is a simple job.

The cross-over simply cable-tied through a couple of conveniently located holes in the door. The original tweeters were also cut from the wiring loom. Which leaves a problem...

How do I fit the tweeter? Cut a hole in the handle surround and have the dome protruding, use the supplied mini pod and stick them by the 'A' pillars or something else? Well, I ain't cutting no holes in my car, so I designed this,

And after half an hour on the 3D printer, it manifested into this,

A quick, err, 'modification' of the Hertz tweeter later...

fit into new mount,

and into surround,

We now have something that fits where the original did. I have not included a picture of the finished article as there is literally nothing to see that is any different. Result!
Mark

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:24 am

Excellent work Mark!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:26 am

If it sounds as good as it loks Mark, it should be excellent! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:50 pm

Wow! Impressive stuff there! :shock: 8) I’ve worked on all loudspeakers in my coupe and know what’s involved so deeply impressed with that craftmanship! I never took it that far.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Congratuations for this very good job

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Thank you all.

I think it's fair to say the Hertz component set up is an improvement on the previous arrangement (no offence Sub Zero, different price point etc). What is interesting is the perceived improved stereo separation which I put down to the better tweeters as I am still using the original Philips R960 head/CD changer unit. And whilst Philips is not a 'trendy' name I think it is testament to the quality of the original components that they are still working perfectly after 22 years, especially given the harsh conditions they live in (compared to cosseted conditions inside a home).

Another point is the original audio wiring in the car. It is often said that OEM wires are thin with high resistance that can affect the quality of the sound. Indeed it is one of the reason that JBL speakers are often rated at 3 ohms instead of the more common 4. Of the wires I used, the OEM ones were the thickest. More so than the Hertz wires on the crossover and tweeter and more than the self proclaimed 'high performance hifi signal cable 99.9996' that was used to patch the woofers in with (I assume the 99.9996 refers to the oxygen free element of the copper).

Wire deteriates over time, but I'm not sure how big a difference that makes given the multi frequency environment in the cabin of a moving motor car.
Mark