Fastback's cars.

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Fastback's cars.

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:53 am

Excellent stuff Mark! While you're on the up, time to attack any other jobs that need doing! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Lodein
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lodein » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:58 am

Good news, congratulations for the MOT

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 pm

Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately I have temper the good with bad. I dropped my mother's car back to her and therefore collected the Vitesse which was on her drive. Driving the Vitesse home the slave cylinder failed completely, unable to select gears pedal just falling to the floor :cry: . Didn't make it home.

Can't really blame the car, it had given me notice but I had to concentrate on the Sterling and a good job I did. Just wondering when's best to recover now... :(
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:25 pm

Fastback wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 pm
Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately I have temper the good with bad. I dropped my mother's car back to her and therefore collected the Vitesse which was on her drive. Driving the Vitesse home the slave cylinder failed completely, unable to select gears pedal just falling to the floor :cry: . Didn't make it home.

Can't really blame the car, it had given me notice but I had to concentrate on the Sterling and a good job I did. Just wondering when's best to recover now... :(
Things like this really like kicking you when you're down, hopefully you can get away with just bleeding the clutch but i doubt it somehow. Good luck with it either way! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:28 am

Excellent news on the MOT pass, and the dry car.

Frustrating about the slave cylinder, but at least that's an easy fix (once you've got either the rebuild kit or a fresh one, anyway). Good luck!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 am

Thanks.

I made it into a supermarket carpark with the Vitesse last night and put it in the furthest corner out of the way. Of course it is one of those monitored affairs with 1½ hrs allowed. I informed the store that I had broken down but they said that that side of things was outof their control, so I will be getting a charge notice. However, I have been assured that it if we go back to the store then, it will be cancelled. I hope so.

I was able to recover the Vitesse later using the Sterling as the tow car. My good lady wife did a good job as the towee, especially as she has never done it before. Time to order the part.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:27 am

Good to hear you've repatriated the Vitty to home territory Mark, fingers crossed for an easy repair! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:09 pm

A very familiar scenario for many people, I'm sure.

Broken clips on the rear tray. This has been loose for years on my mother's car and part of putting it back together is dealing with issues like this. I designed a part to mimic what was there originally (the clip bits are missing, so nothing to copy from or to re-attach). So you the have the design and the 3D printed reality.

Calculating the curve was fun; I traced the arc of the outside of the tray holder and then drew a 'chord' across the points of the arc. Using maths, knowing the chord length and the centre point distance to the top of the arc, it is possible to calculate the diameter and therefore the radius, which came in at 87mm. Anybody still awake? I'm not a genius, Google is your friend here.

(Edit: totally not a genius. Just realised writing this I could have measured it from the pivot point in the holder :roll: :lol: )

Drilling a hole and countersinking a machine screw and nut, it's possible to attach the clip.

Both sides and the underneath.

There is enough clearance for the nuts with the tray inserted and it fits as it should in the centre console. It is also easier and less risky to remove because of the longer arm of the clip.

Another job jobbed.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:46 pm

Excellent work mark - if for any reason your new bits give up the ghost, i am fairly sure i have a spare of those holders for the rear ashtray.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:03 pm

Were you looking for one of these recently Mark?

While trying to tidy my dining room nee glory hole/spare room/dumping ground, i found this stuffed in a Co-op bag of assorted Rover bits!
Needs a little derusting but is solid, let me know if it's useful for you! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:25 pm

Nice find!

I'm sure Mark did want it, but if for any reason he changes his mind, colour me interested please
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:47 pm

mercedade wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:25 pm
Nice find!

I'm sure Mark did want it, but if for any reason he changes his mind, colour me interested please
Will do Adrian, i didn't know i had it, came in a box and bag of assorted spares from an ex-serial 800 owner (he had a rental fleet of about 60 out on hire plus others at any given time) and when he sold the last one (his last "personal" one) the buyer didn't take all the spares and he donated them in my direction - not been through everything as yet but as you say, a nice find! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Wow! Rare beast indeed. Well the answer, unsurprisingly is, yes please. Sorry Adrian :( .

PM me with what you want for it cost including postage. If the scuttle panel is still available and if you are able, that would be smashing too. If youy need to purchase a 'plank' to screw it to, then obviously add that to the cost.

Mother's car is now so much better than it was, still dry and just about back together. I've got to sort out the selector illumination panel before I put the console back if possible but not a deal breaker nor very involved to go back in later.

Cheers Dave!
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:09 pm

Will do Mark, still trying to find that wood im sure is somewhere in the sheds to make the frame for the scuttle - i've not forgotten about it!

Given the postal strikes at the moment, i'd suggest early january would be best to post it unless you're in a hurry for it?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:21 pm

No major hurry, Dave, other than the desire to draw a line under it (as if we ever can with our cars :lol: ). As you suggest, January is preferable. Stick it on the 'To do' list.

Cheers.
Mark