Simon's Vitesse Coupe

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Simon's Vitesse Coupe

Post by SJG » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 pm

I have changed the nearside disc and pads, I also noticed some surface rust around the top of the arch where the filler neck sits - what an awful design. This has been cleaned off, treated and repainted. The filler tube has been given a clean and given another coat of paint, and finally the wheel has been cleaned and polished ready to be refitted.

Thanks for looking
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Bigsimon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bigsimon » Fri May 29, 2015 7:17 am

Thats good work you've done there, wish my wheels where half as shiny :oops: Scuttles off to peer cautiously at his own filler neck......

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 am

Bigsimon wrote: Scuttles off to peer cautiously at his own filler neck......
Ah...the scariest part of 800 ownership :lol:
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 am

Just a quick note on winding back the pistons - you need to release the pressure by undoing the brake pipe at that back of the caliper (use a clamp on the flexible) - if not after a few days of driving your clutch slave cylinder may well pop. I have got stuck in akward places with a clutch pedal on the ground THREE times over the years in different 800s, each time about 4 or 5 days after the brake pads were changed (once by me, twice by garages). It seems the fluid doesn't simply go back into the reservoir because of a valve, instead it finds it was out of the weekest point - the slave cylinder.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri May 29, 2015 7:37 pm

I understand the theory, but in practice I ended up, on three seperate occasions either sitting at a set of lights , at a roundabout and on a T junction with a blown out slave cylinder, every time within a few days of having the brake pads changed (once by me). Surely this cannot be coincidence? Once on a 1993 820Si (K815ATH) and twice on an 825 Diesel fastback (R603XOF). The first two times I put it down to coincidence but the third time (after I had changed the pads) I resolved always to release the pressure from the rear of the calliper - since then (and two 800s later) it hasn't happened again.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Be warned though that pushing fluid back up into the reservoir can, on some systems, 'flip' the seals in the master cylinder. The advice is always to loosen the bleed nipple, but if someone is adamant that they won't do this, they should push the pistons back in very VERY slowly.

I understand this is usually an ABS-specific problem.
Adrian

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri May 29, 2015 8:11 pm

I'd say DON'T open the bleed nipples. Bleeding an 800 is a proper pain so any risk of introducing air is not worth taking. Brake systems are designed to have the fluid return to the reservoir, if they didn't your brakes would stay ON, but they are not designed to return the fluid fast. Always remove the reservoir cap and take it steady.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sat May 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Oh, I completely agree - I despise bleeding anything on the 800, so the nipples remain closed. I've never managed to get a pedal I'm happy with on the Vitesse. But I'm just being cautious about advising people just to get a set of grips on the piston and squeeze away :)
Adrian

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sat May 30, 2015 9:06 pm

mrpcpc wrote:
Manalishi wrote:
Simon Hubbard wrote:I've not had any problems Henrik, you just need to wind the piston back in the calipers.
Excellent, thanks!
Yes, Someone here came up with the idea of using an angle grinder key to wind it back in as its fits in nicely.
Might have been me as I always use that! Really excellent tool for the job.

On the matter of brakefluid, I always take the time of unscrewing the cap first and make sure the level doesn't rise too high when the piston goes back. Never had an issue with any car really.

Simon, as always, great job! What are you using to keep the wheels clean? I bought someting called iron-x which is really good. It removes all of the brake- and metal dust. I recommend it!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sat May 30, 2015 9:35 pm

I just use t cut and wax polish. I know there is some stuff called rimwax, but I have never used it. Thanks for the kind words Henrik.
Simon

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 pm

mrpcpc wrote:Sorry but yes, coincidence.

I've pushed pistons back on multipot calipers and it pushes the other pistons out if they are not held in, if the fluid don't go one way it will go back up to the reservoir but rest assured, as I said, the systems are separate and only share the reservoir.

One system cannot pressurise the other system. It is impossible. and rest assured that the reservoir also cannot pressurise.

Unlucky coincidence but still pure coincidence.

Incidentally I have had to change the slave four times on 4 different 800's I have owned and also the master on another two atleast and this is down to waer and tear.

Can't remember how many times I have changed pads but I have always pushed the pistons back with no problems barring a slight worry of fluid overflowing the reservoir.
At the risk of jumping on the bandwagon I agree too.

I've done more than my fair share of brake swaps and never had a problem without opening the bleed screws.

I too always used a grinder tool for the rears.

Unfortunately they don't work on newer stuff. No space and more force required as I found out my other halfs astra.

I had to invest in a proper tool for it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:49 am

Thread hijack alert:

I have a brake winder tool with reversible 'bit' - one side the pins are far apart, the other side much closer together - which I've used happily for years, I think since my first Sierra Ghia.

I went to use it for the first time on the other half's 04 plate C-Max and it doesn't fit. Who on earth decided to change the dimensions of the piston slots?!

Need to either buy a whole new tool, or see if you can buy just the adaptor plate. Too much force required for long nose pliers sadly.
Adrian

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 pm

I got the car out of the garage tonight, recently I sprayed my spare grill black, rather than the cream/beige colour and swopped it over. I rather like it. I also fitted an old PGA badge that I've had for about 30 years.

Simon

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:20 pm

I think I'm going back to black with the grill, a change from the mesh. Who knows I may even put standard wheels and suspension on :lol:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm

A couple of things I have done recently...

Added a pair of rear mudflaps, not everyones cup of tea but they are original accessories

And I managed to get a new seal for the sunroof, they tend to get brittle and go mouldy around the edge. When I took the old one off it was quite badly rusted around the inside where the metal of the seal sits on the frame, so all cleaned off now and treated, so hopefully will last now.

Simon