Mk1 fastback update

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Oooohhhh thats lovely.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

whitelion58
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by whitelion58 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:25 pm

This got left for a few weeks as real life got in the way and other tasks took priority..
Anyway found a little time yesterday and finally finished off the installation, so here are a few pics of the result, which I am rather pleased with. It also got treated to new calipers, discs and pads - all cheap wins on ebay.

'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:33 pm

That looks the business 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm

This has been riding around on springs and shocks from Vard's Vitesse Sport, and I did not like the ride too much..

However I picked these up at the weekend:

That is two front shocks, two front springs and two rear shocks - all brand new Unipart items and £100 the lot. The rear springs are the original ones that were on the car when I got it.

Just finished putting these on tonight, a very short test drive feels okay, but will know more about how it feels with a few more miles on the clock. Nice to have all new bits and pieces anyway..

Cheers
Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Definitely a better ride like that but mine felt like it was going to fall over after being on Konis and lowering springs :lol:

So they went back on.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:26 pm

More shiny bit to be going underneath the fastback in the next few weeks:

Took all this rusty old stuff to my local powder coater last week. Blasted it all and coated for just £70 cash and half an hours conversation about the lovely '64 Daimler V8 he is building. Really nice bloke, just running a business with his Mrs in the office taking care of the books. Not a bad way to live really.

Anyway, looking forward to getting all this stuff bolted on, then that will be all the removable stuff done and looking rather better than new.

Cheers
Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.

John W
Rover Guru

Post by John W » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:48 pm

£70 for all that? Bargain Tim ! :)
Kind Regards

John
------------------------------------------

1996 BMW 525IX Touring (4x4)
1979 Porsche 924
1982 Porsche 924
1985 Porsche 944

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:14 pm

You certainly did well there 8) it looks good too.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:15 pm

whitelion58 wrote:
Blasted it all and coated for just £70 cash and half an hours conversation about the lovely '64 Daimler V8 he is building. Really nice bloke, just running a business with his Mrs in the office taking care of the books. Not a bad way to live really.
£70!

Now remind me how far from Pembrokeshire to Shropshire...........
Does he like 1967 420s as well............

I'm both impressed and just a little jealous.

Before I forget, where did you source the dampers and springs at that price?
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi - yes I am well pleased with the price and the quality -

http://www.awspowdercoating.com/ - Wrexham are the folks that I would unreservedly recommend.

The suspension bits are on ebay:

springs 400147028953 £38
front shocks 400167268002 £48
rear shocks 160486651948 £48

... but they are just down the road for me and got £28 off for collecting in person. Also note they are listing 827 racks. On the up side it is brand new, from Japan - not recon. On the down side - turned out to be Left Hand Drive! Found out when I got home, but was refunded without question.

oh - and he loves Jags - spent a few decades as mechanic and sprayer on them.. :-)
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Many thanks for the detail.

I'll get offspring onto the case - it'll be usual story - he provides the muscle, I provide the parts, tools, garage, food, accommodation.......

Wrexham is 150 mile trip for me and I never have a reason 'just to be passing', so logistics don't work for me.
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 pm

That's a good price as said.

Is powder coating up to the job for this sort of stuff.

I've heard so many conflicting stories over it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 pm

I've always been warey of powder coating, seen loads of flakey stuff with rust developing underneath. However it is pretty tough, scratch resistant.

I would suggest applying plenty of waxoil / dinitrol to these parts once fitted as another line of defence.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Powder coating can be brittle and susceptible to stone chips - the Waxoyl/Dinitrol coating can act like a cushion and soften the blow.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Re: Mk1 fastback update

Post by whitelion58 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, I can't believe it is 18 months since I had anything to say about this! It has given much pleasure in the summer months, but does spend its winters sleeping in my barn. It is a bit of a rolling-restoration and I like to make it a little bit better each season. So, with temperatures above freezing and only four or five weeks till we can expect Spring, when the cars come out of hibernation, I felt motivated to finally tackle the front cross-members. If you scroll back a little you will see I had all the bits blasted and powder coated some time ago, and they have been sat on the shelves waiting their turn for attention ever since.

So, last weekend I selected a new rack and bolted it into the rear frame, and transferred all the plumbing from another spare I had laying around.

Yesterday afternoon I started dismantling to get the old one out from under the car, and finished off this morning. About five hours invested so far. I know I am privileged to work in a spacious work area with a flat floor and even a bit of shag-pile to lay on, but my hands are still cut to ribbons and shoulders scraped raw. The things we do for pleasure..

Quite a lot has to come off to get the frame out. Both lower arms and brake-reaction bars to start. The arms are virtually new and the bars are being replaced with freshly restored ones anyway. I unbolted the front pipe aft of the flexi section and bent it out of the way. Thankfully do not have to disturb the front manifold connections. The main obstacle is the gear selector cable. I really thought I was going to have to remove the center console and exhaust heat shield to disconnect that but eventually had just enough room to wiggle the old frame past. The UJ for the connection to the steering column had to be removed once the frame had been lowered, which was a bit of a fiddle.

Here are few pics, sorry they are rubbish phone snaps, main camera battery is dead at the mo..

The old one, finally out and on the floor:

Replacement with new rack and engine mount. It will get new Track-rod ends of course:

Work in progress:

The big hole to fill tomorrow:

Tomorrow I will wrestle the replacement in place. Connecting the engine mount and steering column whilst lifting it into place should be quite a challenge.

After that the front member will be a breeze :-)

Cheers
Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.