ricky's rover sterling

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Re: ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

all done and passed.. a pair of toyo t1r's on the front.. I will be at longbridge.. in the rover, I have got to give it a major clean and polish I think it will be up for sale near the end of the year, so I can concentrate on the morris.. just in case anyone is interested in it... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Congratulations on the pass Rick! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Congratulations also from me Ricky, a well deserved pass!

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:23 pm

and no advisories... regards ricky

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 pm

thamestyres wrote:and no advisories... regards ricky
Even better! Got the dreaded test on my Coupé soon, got caught out as i thought it was later - much later! :roll: :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 pm

first decent run, down to somerset, it had an oil change at the time of the mot but it was smoking now and then on start up and misfiring when cold, so oil flush (sol-x) driven on for a couple of days... almost straight away no missing and no smoking... all good on the run with a proper caning along the a303... (only up to 70mph obviously) still no smoke or misfire, so hopefully all sorted, only downside the dog ate the top of both the rear seats... not very happy is an understatement, he is so lucky I didn't strangle him... lol so might be in the market for 2 grey leather rear backrests... regards ricky

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Good to hear the Sterling is back to it's best.
My recently purchased 2.7 Strling is playing silly-buggers in various ways, and will also likely need some welding before next test.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 pm

Think i know someone with some grey leather for sale Ricky, i'll let you know.

Meanwhile please feed your dog so he doesn't eat any more of your car!!! :shock: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

I will repair the Peugeot tomorrow he won't get the chance again.. had some misfiring and smoke this morning, so put some old forte fuel line cleaner (not the new rubbish) into it, nothing since.. so will see again.. only thing next is some seal softener.. but we'll see how the fuel cleaner is first.. the interior in mine is grey with a black bead I think dave... mal what sort of problems are you getting.. regards ricky

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:31 pm

That's the colour of these seats Ricky - i've spoken to the guy that has them and he wants to sell the lot complete. Drop me a PM and i'll give you the details.

I know the drivers seat works fine including the bum warmers as it's temporarily in my Sterling while i've been sorting the Mk2b covers/heated seats onto the Mk2a frame/memory system.

I feel your pain about the dog eating the seats though, my puppy chewed the headrest on the back seat of my Volvo. She couldn't get to the back rest as the dog guard was in the way which makes me wonder how she got to the headrest but she did! To get a replacement i've got to buy a lot more than i really wanted buti think it is one of those things. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 am

Usual Sterling issues Ricky. Electrics, sunroof mech, poss welding needed and other.

I really need to get it inspected to see if it's worth doing, but with 130 needing new brake pipes fitting and retest, and gold barge unlikely to pass it's next test, my luck with cars at the moment is pretty low.
On top of that a dodgy knee is preventing me from getting anything done.

To be honest, Im tempted to get some non descript euro box and tossing in the towel!.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 am

What's wrong with the sunroof Mal? I've got a Mk2 sunroof complete if you're interested?

The electrics are probably the fusebox in need of getting intimate with a soldering iron.

If you do decide to throw the towel in, i might be interested in your Sterling though. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Theres a little rod/bar broken off from the right hand track that prevents the mech lowering properly for the glass to slide forward into the closed position from the retracted position.

The locks have the PITA relocking when they feel like it syndrome, drivers lock only works on key.(rod was disconnected when I got it,now reconnected "Fob's Iffy at best"
Looks llike a birds nest behind the glovebox cover. (think someone with no idea has been messing.)
Snapped bolt on thermostat housing. (But not leaking)
Torn air intake hose. (one from airbox to inlet)

Did have "bubbling issue" from expansion tank, but a good flush out and new coolant seems to have sorted that.

I just don't have any faith in it's reliability for a long trip at the moment, although I could do with using it for a trip to cornwall with the family at the endof the month!

Also the previously mentioned passenger seat issue, that prevents the front or rear passenger seats being used!!!.

Mal.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 pm

The sunroof is a relatively easy fix but i'd be reluctant to "break" a complete, known-good sunroof for one little part - however i'll PM you about this shortly.

I've used all my spare Mk2a central locking actuators, it sounds like the microswitches in them though that tell the CCU if they're locked or unlocked. If you can narrow it down to which one it is, pulling the actuator apart and cleaning the microswitches would probably cure it. Alternatively do both as the chances are if one is gone/going the other will be as well.

The bolt can be removed, stud extractor tools work well and i'm sure i did a thread on the "WMP" - Weapon of Mass Penetration, a 50/50 mix of pure acetone and synthetic ATF (i use Carlube ATF-U as i use the same in the gearboxes and PAS systems) that hasn't failed yet. It even shifted heavily corroded nuts/bolts on a T-Series turbo recently that looked like they would need cutting.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=14215&p=144526&hil ... on#p144526

I'll replace the photos slowly but surely in that thread (and eventually my others) as and when i upload the relevant photos to postimage, seeing as i've been "Photobucketed".

As for the intake hose, i know the one you mean. I'm fairly sure i have one half of one of those lurking in my garage, is it the top or bottom half you need? They're different which is a pain! Had to repair the one on my Coupé for the same reason so if you're lucky i've got the good half you need - i'll look when i'm next in the garage!

Can you remind me about the passenger seat? I don't recall that. :? :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 am

I think I have a relay pack for the passenger seat that will sort the seat issue.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.