ricky's rover sterling

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

have added the walk around now, i think the car looks much better with the bumpers, bonnet, repainted and a full polish up on the outside, the interior was cleaned up to get the oil from the seats and multiple layers of dust built up. i and more importantly my daughter were very pleased with the look of the car. the other bride had to suffer the ride in a 5 series bmw.. my daughter is the one in the doorway and the missus is in grey...regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Looking good.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 am

i have got a slight knock on the front of the sterling when i go over bumps and when i pull away so i thought i would look on the ramp while it is empty this morning, it turns out that the numpty's that work for me have not changed the front anti roll bar for the thicker one they have just fitted the larger bushes and bmw style links to the old thinner anti roll bar :roll: the vitty arb has now been thrown out thinking it was the old oe one off the sterling :cry: and the knocking noise is most likely the arb flapping in the bush that is now to big, and surprise surprise the old bushes have been thrown out as well :shock: so the moral is don't let the numpty's loose on your car when you can do it better yourself. i now need to get new bushes for the smaller arb to stop the knocking noise... regards ricky

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Sat May 07, 2011 11:19 am

That's a bit of a problem. :lol:
Chris

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat May 07, 2011 11:51 am

That's priceless. Sorry, but you have to laugh.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 pm

That's priceless. Sorry, but you have to laugh.
i have to agree it is priceless, especially as i normally do most of my own work on my own cars, but more to the point i genrally trust my fitters to do the job properly and first time usually, this makes me think :? .. regards ricky

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Sat May 21, 2011 9:39 pm

well i got a bit lucky :? i found a vitty antiroll bar while trawling through ebay, someone breaking one up, £33 with the post not cheap but better than buying the std bushes, so this time i fitted it myself (once bitten twice shy) and the car is deffo much flatter but i do find it does slide sideways with control when pushing my luck on roundabouts :lol: would recommend to all who need that buzzing feeling :shock: now and then :lol: regards ricky

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat May 21, 2011 9:57 pm

When you look at what Mike spent getting one made that's not bad really.
Chris

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 pm

i seem to be getting to the bottom of these knocking noises, the o/s top wishbone was one of them, replaced.. the other is that the wishbone seems to be moving sideways and the links touch on the lower suspension arm, i have fitted the bmw type links, so i need to find a clamp to fit onto the arb to fix it into the centre position, so am looking for any ideas. i have seen a cable clamp on ebay made of plastic but double bolted to clamp securely to the arb, but would prefer something metal, would be more reliable i think. so any ideas? regards ricky

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 am

i have just uploaded some vids of the sterling where my daughter was following me around the roads in devon, what do you think does it corner well. please enjoy. i was going to try and edit them and call it "sterling having a round with golf" but we didn't get any of the golf..

http://s798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 0sterling/

here is a new link or you can use the original in the first post... regards ricky

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Nice Ricky. It strikes me that a well turned out 800 is an inpressive car to follow 8)
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:52 pm

well i have done absolutely nothing other than drive the sterling all year it had a service octoberish.. i have been using the 75 recently to save some fuel money with all the upping and downing to somerset.. so the 75 over heated on the way to the mother in laws funeral, turns out nothing to serious just the rad fan not working.. so i got roped into going up to dalton in furness to pick up the nephew said i would not go up in the corsa (no comfort or anything) so went in the sterling.. was sweet as, no problems, about 800 miles round trip with going to somerset and up there and back, near on £200 in fuel but was a good drive without to much traffic, and the 800 is by far a better car than the 75.. regards ricky

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Which 75 have you got Ricky? You have probably said somewhere before, but....
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

thamestyres
Rover Guru

ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:13 pm

it is in the for sale section.. rover 75 1.8 turbo connoisseur (petrol).. i don't think it is as good as the 800.. might be a fairer comparison if the 75 was the 2.5 as well.. the 1.8 turbo pulls uphill better the the 800 but lacks the high speed cruising ability of the 800 so to maintain above 70mph feels like it is always revving to high, typical 4 cylinder engine really.. and there is something that "just doesn't feel right" but that could just be me :lol: ... regards ricky

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Re: ricky's rover sterling

Post by thamestyres » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:40 pm

as some of you know i have an oil usage problem, well while i have the 75 and it has gone quiet at work, i have had it on the ramp and have started to take the engine out, i have collected all the parts and am going to fit the 75 heads that i have and will be rebuilding the heads and fitting them and doing the cam belts again as well, so today engine out tomorrow the heads rebuilt and fitted and the day after engine back in.. in theory... hopefully no more oil blowing out the back of the car, no more 200miles, 1 litre of oil at motorway speeds... regards ricky