Saved for future generations to enjoy my 820SE

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mjc9967 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:02 am

I think thats a perfectly good price for a low mileage minter. As Mo says, you can pay a bit less then spend a lot of time and and money and still not have what you got yourself there.

Well done, and enjoy!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Snow stopped play. just polished wood and it came down thick and fast.
Can,t take pics as its now just a white blob on the drive. Need a cover.

Kate :D

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 pm

Need a cover.
Know where to get one? :wink:

TDHFastback

Ware?

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:38 pm

used to live in Ware up to 1980 when I hopped off to Canada for a few years. Is Rank Cintel still there, I believe it was in Watton Road. Charvills was just around the corner, if my memory is OK.
Not sure about Rank Cintel (or what it is) sorry. Don't actually live in Ware just drive throught it. Think you might see some changes since 1980.

TDHFastback

test drive

Post by TDHFastback » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Well just had a bit of a run around in the SE.

Well drove up to Newcastle to see me Mam for Chrissy to be exact.. Picked up a couple of conservatory chairs which she thought would never go in the back of a car. Had a lovely day out in Hexam with Her and her husband sitting in the back, then drove back down south, 573 miles in total.

And the SE never missed a beat. I was interested to see how it compared to the Sterling which I have used many times on that journey.

The first thing that suprised me was how quiet it is. The 2.0 litre MK2 Sterling I had from Rover as a courtesy car several years ago, I found quite harsh and noisey. Not so the SE.

The noise is only apparent when firming up the drive merging onto a fast road over 4000 revs. It seems quite spritely up to about 5500 but noisey. Dropping down to just ove 3000 at 70 its very smooth and quiet.

Its also VERY comfertable. My Mam was dozing off in the back. Very unusual for her. She said it was very smooth and relaxing.

Fuel consumption was on average 30mpg and the steering the usual 800 ,star destroyer, turning,affair.

Litte things that made me smile over the Sterling. The way the rear parcel shelf string supperts are sprung so when unclipped they are not flapping around.

The weird wipers that seem to retract down to the sill.
Rear vision through the hatch is MUCH better with no centre headrest, high level brake light or spoiler.

The walnut burr shelf in front of the front seat passenger is much better than the airbag blamonche of the MK2. I do like a bit of walnut, and being an SE it has it on the door panels as well. Nnnice.
Shame its not a 90 speck as apparently the consul around the gear stick was also walnut (wonder if it could be changed)

A big negative on the comfort stakes though is the lack of a drivers arm rest. Not sure whats going on there. The pads there, the cassette holders there but its not high enough. Whats that all about?.

The wireless in the car had a very good sound quality. My cassette player is jammed though and I can't get a cassette in. Can this be fixed? Also the back light on the clock doesn't work.

The de-mist was very effective and didn't dry out my contacts like the aircon does.

The boot as we all know is cavernous (who needs a saloon :wink: ) and the rear seats seem to fold down further than the Sterling (could be something to do with the leather.).

The styling is super. Being an 80s child I lover the Space 1999 Rover badges,square steering wheel badge and moon buggy wheel trim.

So all in all I'm chuffed to bits with my new car. I wanted another 800 but wanted something a bit different so the Sterling was still special. And that's what I've got. It doesn't whoosh like a KV6 but can still be good fun.Super.

Its in need of a good clean now so promise to post some pictures up as soon as the polish has dried.

ps didn't see a single other 800 in all that time :cry:

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Glad you like it Kate, never driven an 820E before, in fact, I've only ever driven 820 Coupe.

Interesting you should mention people dozing off, I've had may people do that in my Rovers. They are very smooth.

Regarding the armrest, they made them quite low in early and low spec cars.

Cant wait to see some pictures.

Lord Sterling

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:00 pm

The arm rest can be swapped from another car if you wanted it. Not a big job. It is a pain if you're used to the taller ones.

My fastback doesn't have one at all so count yourself lucky. :lol:

Mind, that is my fault.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 am

With regard to engine noise, I would imagine that the aluminium cam covers of the M series engine are part of the reason that it's quieter than the plastic topped T series from the mk2.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TDHFastback

aaaarh

Post by TDHFastback » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks for that Richard. I'd never thought of that.

I,ve learned so much since being on this forum. You are all very knowledgable. (in fact knowing the forum was here was a big factor in the gamble of buying a 21 year old 800. It didn't seem as duanting with the wealth of experience out there. I felt if there was a problem help would be close at hand so thank you all)

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 am

Glad you're enjoying the new arrival! I think £950 is pretty much top money but if its a car you love and enjoy then its small change really. A lot of people go and but brand new cars and will loose that every 3 or 4 months in depreciation alone!

Bring on the pics :wink:
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm

guru wrote:I think £950 is pretty much top money
£950 for a seemingly well looked after 1989 820SE with only 39k on the clock is what would be expected. You wont find anything as near-new as this car for less. I think Kate has done well to get it for that price.

Anything less than than that and you'd certainly expect something that needs some tlc.

Because Rover 800s have been at pretty much rock bottom prices, I guess people seem to expect almost any Rover 800 regardless of mileage and condition to be staying around the £300/£400 mark, which isnt very realistic. They are starting to slowly creep up in price though.

Lord Sterling

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Supply and demand as ever.

The prices will be all over for some time yet I reckon.
Chris

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I'd like to bet it would still fetch £900 in 12 months time.

Regards

Jon R

820TickyTubby
Regular Visitor

Post by 820TickyTubby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:05 pm

I paid £300 for my Tickford and that needs about £2000 worth of work doing to it if it was a customers car. It has been off the road some years engine/turbo problems rust to deal with sills roof wings door's etc. I could have bought one of piston head's weeks later with T&T on the road for £450 but that was later! I felt so sorry for mine on the scrap yard floor with no wheels all the fluids drained cat chopped off! It was lucky as if there was a car on top of it I would have just bought the engine for a maestro! I have sorted the smoking problem just a duff turbo and changed the oil and filter to flush the engine even though it was treated too fresh oil when I first got it as there was none in depolluted so to speak. Mine was day away from being beyond repair all together it is a long way from being on the road but it is safe up on my ramp! It is most definitely one of the rarest surviving cars of the 90's era but one of the most worthless a my friend who is into ford's put it that car to me is like him finding a RS 500 Cosworth or a S1 RS'T in a scrap yard! I will have a good bit more than £900 in my tickford before it see's the road again as there is a long wish list fo it!! :D

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:19 pm

As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

Sometimes it's better to start with something needing work, you can get it how you want it without risking making it anyworse.
Chris