Saved for future generations to enjoy my 820SE

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Saved for future generations to enjoy my 820SE

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Well the 820SE passed his MOT ready for another year. Rear brakes needed some attention as the rear seat passenger had to apply the handbrake but apart from that all is well.
Treated him to a full service as well.
Its the only layout money wise (apart from two new tyres earlier this year) that I've had to make in two years. Now thats cheap motoring.

Kate :D

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:15 pm

That is good news indeed, well done!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Marc-827-Vitesse
Rover Guru

Post by Marc-827-Vitesse » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Beautiful car!

A true time warp, keep taking care of it like this please. :D

Greetings,

Marc
1989 Rover 827 Vitesse.
1982 Rover 3500 Vanden Plas.

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Re: pictures for you to enjoy

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:57 pm

TDHFastback wrote: Image
Now that is NICE!

Lovely looking 800 Kate!

Now does anybody know if these mk1 fastback boot trims (the cream ones on the sides) fit a Mk2?

I know it's a bit of a long shot but hey :roll: would be great if I can finally get the boot to match the rest of the interior (and no I am not going to put green carpet in in though the thought had crossed my mind!)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 am

....and it comes complete with Rover 800 biscuits!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:35 pm

With the sun shining I decided to spend a lazy day with my Se on the drive.

Whilst at Longbridge earlier in the year, a couple of nice chaps turned up with a lovely 820Se fastback manual in white. I got talking to one of them who said they had had a new screen fitted and whilst all the scuttle and trim panels had been off around the windscreen found corrosion at the top of the bulkhead under the trim.

I decided to check mine and at the same time fit a NOS scuttle provided by the tall one himself (thanks Brad)

First off with the wipers and a small pin had to be found to slide through the holes in the wiper arms. With the nut off they lift off.

Then off with the scuttle. There are seven screws with plastic cups and caps. The screw at each end only has a normal plactic washer and no cover.

The corrosion was quite bad but not at the usual places around the screw holes but it was forming under the rubber sealing strip attached to the scuttle.
"Hey now hey now now, sing this corrosion to me, hey now, hey now now sing this corrosion to me ....etc etc"

Then it was off with the rubber strip. My draper trim tool was perfect for this job and I didn't break a sing clip.

The manuals (both Haynes and Rover) say lift off 3 piece trim panels. However I couldn,t get the central one off. They don't mention there are 2 small tabs at the front that have to be pushed back befor it can be lifted away from the rear clips. One of the small tabs can be seen to the left of the photo. It was only by lifting it with a screw driver and shining a torch in did I see them.

With the trim off the hollow section below was full of twigs and leaves. once these were hoovered out I was glad to see the area below was complety devoid of any rust or corrosion. Every thing was cleaned and then sprayed with ACF50.

Don't you just love NOS. 8) The underside was sprayed with ACF50 and then the area along the rubber strip and round the screw wholes covered in grease.
ACF50 is fantastic. I cover my motorcycle in it in October ride right through the winter and then wash it for the first time in March and it comes up like new.
Not cheap but worth every penny in my book

The new panel fitted and everything back in its place

Decided to give him a wash and brush up. Too sunny for polish though.

I feel very fortunate to have this as my daily runner 8) 8)

D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Great work,write up and pictures Kate.

Bet your now sat in the summer chair admiring your hard work with a cool glass of vino, you should be! Looking really smart.

Will you be taking this one to Peterborough or the Nee Naa, Nee Naa.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks Steve.
I'm not sure yet. We may take both the Police car and the Se as the Sterling was there last year.
As for the vino. How did you know? :lol: :lol:

Kate

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Nice jobbie, Katie.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:39 pm

A real cracker
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Well after having a slight dribble of oil from the front n/s corner of the head gasket since I bought it 4 years ago, it has now turned into a full scale flood so have decided to have the head gasket replaced.
After passing its MOT without even an advisory just before Christmas, my mechanic said there was oil spraying all along the underside of the car (should stop the rust, I thought :lol: ). Not enough to cause problems with the MOT but enough to warrant a repair.

So the Se is back in at the garage.
He said he is going to skim the head as a matter of course. Is this right? I trust him but wonder if it is necessary on the 2.0ltr

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:05 am

TDHFastback wrote:Well after having a slight dribble of oil from the front n/s corner of the head gasket since I bought it 4 years ago, it has now turned into a full scale flood so have decided to have the head gasket replaced.
After passing its MOT without even an advisory just before Christmas, my mechanic said there was oil spraying all along the underside of the car (should stop the rust, I thought :lol: ). Not enough to cause problems with the MOT but enough to warrant a repair.

So the Se is back in at the garage.
He said he is going to skim the head as a matter of course. Is this right? I trust him but wonder if it is necessary on the 2.0ltr

I personally would never skim a head as a matter of course, only if its warped or has signs of imperfections. Given that this is probably just the standard composite gasket breaking down on the usual corner then I wouldn't. I would however rebuild it with the MLS Klinger headgasket.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks for the advice Dave, useful as always. I will give him a ring tomorrow.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:04 am

I'd also go with what Dave said - no need to skim unless there is a need to skim (if you follow me...)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Don't forget to fit the 8mm copper pipe in the block.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/william.wh ... cutter.htm

The only solution I've seen that actually works to cure the head/block leak on that corner - even with the MLS gasket they still weep oil...
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B