My 827 Si

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jago » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

hi, e-mail from rich who came with me on sunday, he tried to register but the account got deleted. not sure what happed there....
Rich Fielding wrote: Dont read too much into Jagos times the track at the Pod last weekend was truly dire , it was far too cold and not well prepped. I've been both racer and crew chief at drag meetings since the early 90's and I have rarely seen it as bad. My Evo 6 span its wheels in 1st , 2nd and a little in 3rd something that its never done not even on the worst winter roads. In fact i can count the amount of times its span all 4 wheels on the road in 1st on one hand.

The cold affects the track , tyres and nitrous system none will perform at their best but looking at the 60ft time and 1/4 mile speed both indicate the potential ie the 1/4 speed is good the 60ft was dire

Next year when the weather starts to get a little warmer we will try again . Predictor software suggests the car could get into the low 13's ie 13.36 , I'm not convinced but i think a high 13-low 14 is possible

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

Again using an speed calculator we can play around and get a rough idea of what ET relates to what speed since Jago has run 95mph in the 1/4 that suggests a 14.5 would be possible. But a better 60ft will help the mph a little so again i think perhaps 97-98mph terminal speeds will be attainable indicating potential low 14's - high 13's

http://members.tripod.com/fast_wheels/1-4speed.htm

For someone who had never been on the strip before I think he did pretty well, drag racing is not easy and like everything it takes practice but on a track that is slick you are never going to see the potential of the vehicle
Currently: 1995 mk2 sterling
missed but not forgotten: 1988 Rover 827 Si (13.835 @ 101.3mph)
Currently: 2003 Toyota celica Tsport VVTLI
previously:
more than a few cars

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

It was probably the usual "no personal info supplied = spammer" equation. I emailed him back but he never re-registered.

For the record, I have deleted about 140 spam accounts in the last 24 hours!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

jago
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jago » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

that is a vast amount of accounts, is that a sign of the popurlarty of the forum on search engines?
previously:
more than a few cars

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Possibly. I've deleted another 20 or 30 since making that last post!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Err, WOW. That is a lot of spambots.

How do you filter out real people if they dont want to provide personal info??
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 pm

If there's any doubt we just cancel their accounts and wait for them to email back and complain! Most of the time you can tell from user name, email address and location.

I've just deleted another 30 this evening.

jago
Rover Guru

Post by jago » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:23 pm

previously:
more than a few cars

TDHFastback

spam

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Richard

I feel really sorry for legitimate internet based Spam sellers who have seen a real decline in sales of processed cold meats.

Kate :D

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:23 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D : :D :D :D Oh Tall One, such wit. :D
No longer an 800 owner!

jago
Rover Guru

Post by jago » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:47 am

Broke it!!!!!!

On sunday (yesterday) i went for a little drive to stroud with a friend to collect his new car (xj6 mk1 in light blue - very nice car) and it wnet very well there and back until the last 200yrds, where i pulled up at a junction and she lost a cylinder, i bliped the throttle and it came back, at this point i was thinking i've lost a plug, with this thought in mind i carried on home, when i got in to the car park i relised i had a trail of white smoke behind me, now i'm thinking ive done the head gaskets again :cry: :cry: :cry: but she was running cool all the way so she's not over heated to casue a failier. so i parked up and let her cool off for 5 mins,

all water was in the engine not signs of loss at all
oil in the sump - on min (ah i found it) so the smoke was oil......

I'm now thinking melded piston as i did use 3/4 of a bottle NOS on the way home, however i know i'm running 11.5:1 AFR so it cant be lean ever.

So the next test is a compression test.

removing the plugs i note that 1 and 4 are a little leaner than i would like 2,3,5 &6 are a very nice brown, however number 3 is covered in oil.

so i do the test:
1, 195 psi
2, 185 psi
3, 230 PSI
4, 190 psi
5, 195 psi
6, 200 psi

so i rang my mate to see what he thought as i was thinking there is nothing wrong with the pistons or valves....just there is oil in number 3

i know putting oil in a bore will make the compression higher however i have only ever seen it go up by 20-30psi and when i broke my M16turbo engine (melted pistons) no amount of oil would bring the compressions up....

so on the phone to my mate, we think the valve guide has lost it's seal and probably cracked all the way down allowing oil at a high anough rate to stop idle functions.

i will this evening do a compression test cold as i fee lthat will reveal more, however the rear head has not got to come off again.

On the plus side i have a pair of heads that are about to go off to have newen profiled throats done and then a light port work.
so these may be on sooner than i was thinking.
previously:
more than a few cars

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Buggeration!!

Seems that all the work and power you put in and the engine cant handle it :(

At least you have getting the heads off down to a T now....

On another note, that squeeking you heard from my engine at Gaydon is the rear big mount. Tried loads to get it to stop, but it wont. Think I might bite the bullet and get another one...
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

jago
Rover Guru

Post by jago » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 pm

changing the rear engine mount is not too bad but you may need a 2ft extension bar..

this evening i put the plugs back in, and fired her up to show a friend thi issue, she did it for 10 seconds and cleared, no signs of it at all....how very odd.... So tomorrow i'll drive her to work and see what happens.
previously:
more than a few cars

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

I'd suggest that maybe it sucked a load of oil in from the breathers through the intake, but I would have thought that would affect all cylinders not just one.

It may come back once it's fully warmed up again, see what happens, fingers crossed.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

Richf

Post by Richf » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 am

Wow finally got registered !!!

I think its all a bit premature to say you have reached the limits or that the engine cant take it

The compression check tells us

a) Its not a major failure on any cylinder as the CR's look good across the board

b) Oil is entering one cylinder which is giving the high reading

If the oil was due to a broken ring, damaged valve or even cracked head/head gasket then its unlikely the compression reading would be as high

On the last HG change it was noted there was a slightly damaged valve guide but time didnt allow this to be addressed. The car has for a while given a small puff of smoke on start up, I think this guide has either cracked fully and/or the seal has come off the top of it. This job was always on the "To-do" list and could well have gone at any time nitrous or no-nitrous

With nitrous you reach the limit when you throw a rod through the block or melt something or when you physically cant get anymore in. :)

I do think however we have come to the limit with the current set up , I've always felt that 75hp is as much as you can do with a single stage hit , you can then go one of two ways either multistage which is an injector for each stage of gas or direct port which is an injector for each cylinder

I think two stages its the way to go you could then have a first stage of 50hp and then a second of 25hp or much more likely since Jago and I are more interested in the development and pushing the boundaries a little perhaps 50+50hp .This will also help traction since the first stage of gas could be used off the line and the second stage switched in when the car is moving

Many drag racers used to use this technique often with a 3rd stage or "cheater" stage activated by a push button for use if needs be

Nowadays people use electronic progressive controllers and direct port systems but just a decent progressive controller would be a considerable investment in the project
Rich

1999 Evo 6 GSR (modified)
2006 Skoda Octavia VRS diesel

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:42 am

So do you think 400bhp is possible?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia