Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alucard7002/TheOldMan - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 pm

mjc9967 wrote:How weird. Have just woken up having dreamt that I went to my Mk2 to find the seat facings had been changed to shiny black PVC with red piping between every leather strip as well as around all the edging.

I hated it but everyone kept saying how lovely it was. Cant remember whether you were involved in it or not, Dusan. Weird eh?!

I'm sure yours will look fab though! :D

Strange indeed! Sounds interesting, though black pvc ain't my thing :roll:

Mum's done the rear seats already and is now working on the fronts, much harder as the recaros are a totally different shape to the normal 800 sofas! Looks nice though!

Cruise control is being a pig, got two full sets, one from a 420/45 and one from an 825.
BOTH are exactly the same control boxes and relays (wiring colours differ but same roles)

However neither seem to work! Checking rave it seems there is a big fat wire going from the ECU to the cruise unit and I have no idea whether it needs a 12v feed, earthing or is some kind of signal (although its screaming at me that its not a signal cable as it's such a large gauge!)

Ah I HATE electronics....

[/rant]
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Little glovebox fix/kludge/bodge (delete as appropriate!) for broken hinges

Tools

7mm Socket
Strong fingers!
Cable ties
Snips
Drill + 6mm drill bit or Dremel MultiTool

Crawl under glovebox and remove 4x 7mm bolts on glovebox hinges.

Open glovebox (unlatch) and pull down and feel for the two springs either side. Pull them up towards the top of the dashboard until they pop out the little slots.

This happen to you?

Take your hole making tool of choice and make like so

Feed 2 cable ties like so...

Tie them up good and tight and snip off excess

Job done!

Works like a charm and can't tell the difference between this "fix" and a working, non broken, glovebox. All hidden underneath and cost 3p and 20 mins of your time.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 am

Other than fixing the glovebox I've been helping Big bros Marko and Alexander fix Alex's Daimler SuperV8 ! (they needed the extra height, reach and muscle!)

Also finished spraying the bumpers and rear quarter. (no finished photos yet)

LPG install is going smoothly thanks to Marko doing the complicated stuff and Me making dozens of little brackets and doing the heavy lifting!

Cruise is going to be fitted tomorrow, fingers crossed it works! Convieniently the wiring in the post '96's is mostly there thanks to the 825 having cruise. Just needs a few bits adding and some feeding of extra cables into the engine bay (again! Running out of grommet holes, going to have to make more at this rate!)

Mum is almost done the seats, just drivers one to go now. Keeping that for last so you folks can see what it looks like fitted :lol:

High spots when painting are a pain!

Bumpers mid guide coat flatting

Bumpers again on the the washing line (Mum just just shrugs at this now!)

Rear-Left quarter flatted back to straight!

General Prep shot

Shed/Spray Booth

Rear quarter base coat

Lacquered (colour match sucks in certain light and is perfect in others. I HATE metallic paint for that)
Not polished yet so flat as a pancake but should shine up well as its a nice soft cellulose lacquer

Dads Electrocleaning was going well...

Until!

Opps! Guess that's what happens when an old arc welder is left on for 16 hours a day for about two weeks!

LPG

Shnozzles (Nozzles for the uninitiated!)

Various bracketry (Vapouriser on right, Injector rail on left)

Surprisingly tight fit with ECU, Injector rail, Vapouriser, all the wiring and a vacumn actuator for cruise!

Looks tidy though!

Not so much at the rear end at the moment. 77l tank needs a bit of space, so...

STOP! It's Grinder time!

The old boot floor is 0.8mm steel, the new one it going to have the tank hung of a 40x40X2.5mm frame with 1.6mm and 1.2mm plate over the top and sides with some 3mm plate brackets for good measure!

77l tank approximately equates to 50l petrol equivalent which gives me a useful 300 mile range with lpg on a run (enough to get from Notts to Wales or Vice versa)

Cruise Control

Bit of wiring faff! Thanks for the Steering wheel and other parts Brad!

Throttle body from a 1997 onwards 420 GSi? (Top spec anyway) Needed for cruise full stop.

Cruise almost gives full throttle but not quite. Handy to know now not afterwards!

And just a little teaser for you as I'm feeling generous! Sorry, it's cream Chris!

Yet more to come this week!
Last edited by Alucard7002 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 am

Great write up. Thanks!
1992 820SI saloon.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:30 am

I marvel at your family's abilities. And all from a double garage, a garden shed and mum's washing line.

Amazing.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 am

excellent write up, although rather you than me working with Desert Wellies ;-)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I marvel at your family's abilities. And all from a double garage, a garden shed and mum's washing line.

Amazing.
Me too!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:47 am

very impressive :shock: :shock: :D :D i've got the use of a fully equiped workshop and i don't do half as much as you. :D
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks folks.

Over the last week or so,

Finished LPG install, tank mounted nicely and boot trim, retrimmed to fit.

Welding in new frame and floor
Tank

New boot floor arrangement, 60mm higher than normal

60mm loft insulation board "Space Foam" used to make spacers/fillers
Cut holes for various tools/car parts (including the now essential tyre weld!)
Tow Rope and jump leads go behind the rear seats, similar to where the jack used to go

Filler
Filler plus 13 pin socket (notice the "official" Brink/Rover plate for the towbar)

When wiring for the 13 pin a 20amp live and a 20amp switched feed has to be fed to the back of the car. Using a Jaguar XJ accessory socket means I can run a camping fridge in the boot now if I want to. The switched live is only live when the engine is running so no chance of flattening the battery!

For those interested in cruise control

I have not yet got mine working, however;

Cruise brain I put under centre console out the way
Cruise relay on far left, empty relay socket is for a switched live feed to my auxillary fusebox under the dash.
MkIIb 825 fog + cruise switches
The three wires on the right are for the cruise, LGP 12v switched feed, UO 12v to cruise brain + warning lamp, B Earth for warning lamp
Two on the left are for immobiliser LED (which I have removed so I have a spare button in the dashboard)

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:46 pm

Some laughs for you

Boshing a flange
http://youtu.be/Y4IkngQoNkw
Whack a Hole
http://youtu.be/Lkwacj9LBZw
Connect the dots
http://youtu.be/pGmXOkbehpM

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 am

Thats all looking rather well engineered and tidy. And well done for including a hi-viz in your tool compartment!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:16 pm

260 miles

Faultless

33.9 mpg.... on LPG!

That equates to 67.8 mpg petrol-price equivalent. Now that's not bad from a 13 year old 820!

Total cost less than £30. Can't get a train ticket for that price!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 pm

That really is economy driving, keep this coming loving the write up.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:00 pm

As said previously the work you carry out is so impressive, now it is proving its worth
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Right some last minute photographs of the new Recaros

The covers have settled alot on the drive up to Notts and are much less creased now, I think the more they wear in the better and better they will be.

So what do you think?

Better than the Frankfurt Motor Show coupe? I think so!

I think I can safely say I am the only person in the world with cream and green HEATED Recaros in their 800

Ta much to my Mum!

And one well earned tea break!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B