Police rover 800

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Police rover 800

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.
Yes Simon a lot of it seems to work. The sirens,rotating blues,illuminated Police sign,spots and rear reds all function as does the pilot though it needs calibrating.
The provida screen is hooked up to a video recorder in the boot so that "Police stop interceptor camera high speed pursuit" videos can be played on it at shows etc but I'm not sure if the actual camera unit works. Also the operators calibrated speedo doesn't work (which is a real shame as I would like that working).

Took the car into work today and when in the car park took off all the not in service signs/covers. Cripes does that take me back. Happy days :D 8)
It ran really well with no leaks or dramas. Its like a rocket ship compared to the SE.

Kate :D

simon
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by simon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:54 pm

What did they say at work? More to the point what did the newbee's think? And was you tempted to take out on duty.
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:58 pm

Kate, we really should try to get you and your car into one of the car magazines. We have Peter Simpson of Classic car Buyer mag as a member here (he's just bought that BRG coupe that you flagged up) and it would be great if he could get you car into print somewhere.........

....... calling Mr Simpson, calling Mr Simpson.......
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Corr that would be fantastic Rich.

I would be more than happy to let a mag use the car.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

I didn't think that you'd be shy about it :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:23 pm

If things go as they did previously for me at the NEC, I'll get that car on Central News...
One or two 800s...

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Kate, I noticed you had the POLICE signs covered in duct tape. I may be wrong but I was told that as long as the blue lights are covered and you're not displaying force badging the word POLICE could be visible.

edit:-
But I've reviewed the pictures and of course the force badges are on the doors so I guess the wording would have to be covered.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Gordon.

Yeah that tape was aweful.I have magnetic signs to cover up the Police signs and a cover for the bar light. All say "Not in Service".
If I get stopped whilst driving the car I want the officers to see I have taken every effort to cover up all police markings. The blue lights and sirens are disconnected and I'm doing the best I can to hide its identity.

When I took it in to work last Saturday I was unsure how other road users would react.

End result ...cars flying past me at 90mph not paying a blind bit of notice, which was good as the last thing I wanted to do was impersonate a police officer.
Do enough of that at work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't really have been suprised though as a lot of the drivers don't see current police cars never mind vintage ones :roll: :roll:

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:39 pm

That could be due to new colours being quite different and easier to spot these days?
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

Well the 800 has gone in for a health check. It will need new shocks all round. The front n/s was leaking and the rear dampers errrr didn't.

Also having all the fluids changed as well as the cambelts as I have no records of when they were done. On your recommendations Richard I am having new gearbox fluid and the filters cleaned out to try and preserve the gearbox.

Jobs such as the filler cap cable I am going to have a go at myself (thanks Brad for the cable and diagram).

This service will give me peace of mind and also have the car checked over by a proper mechanic. Won't be cheap though. Wonder how much I can get for a kidney?

I can feel my credit card trembling :oops:

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 pm

TDHFastback wrote:
I can feel my credit card trembling :oops:

I know what you mean after what I spent getting my coupe sorted
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd get all the belts on that side done while they're at it and the water pump.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Well an update on the pursuit 827.
Had the following done by the chaps at my friendly Rover garage.

1/ Change all fluids including gearbox fluid and filter cleaned
2/ 4x New gas shock absorbers all round. The front springs apparently were different to a civilian model and must have been a police upgrade.
3/ Dent in front wing knocked out
4/ New mid section and back box exhaust
5/ Plugs,air filters oil filters and fuel filter
6/ All belts changed (water and Cam but not seat)
7/ N/s rear brake hose app was completely blocked and had to be replaced.

What a difference it has made. The car actually goes round corners as it should and the gear change is a lot smoother.
Also,after the bill,with the weight I will loose living on wild berries and rain water it should be more fuel efficient :roll:
The mechanic said he found a lot of rat poisen all around the engine bay. Probably from when it was stored by the film company in their warehouse.
I will have to get rid of this for reasons I will explain later.

When he drove it, bearing in mind he trained on these cars when they first came out, he said it was like a rocket ship and had the police done anything to the engine/ECU. To the best of my knowledge I didn't think we did. But it does seem to be extremely rapid compared to my KV6 and getting back in the 820SE it feels like I'm driving with the hand brake on.

Since getting the car back I have had a stab at giving the wheels a good clean
Before

after (a different wheel I didn't strip the paint of the Rover badge)

I also plucked up the courage to have a go at the broken passenger door handle today.

This is the template I made using an old piece of cardboard to make sure I put all the screws back in the right place

Read the instructions in my Haynes and Rover manual and they said to remove the circlip from the handle to remove the barrel before removing the handle. I found it impossible to get in to the circlip so removed the handle bolts first and this made getting to the circlip a doddle.

The finished result

Every thing clunks and operates as it should. I'm quite pleased with myself really.
I know it is probably a small job to all you advanced ninja mechanic men out there but I was a little anxious about taking things to bits and either breaking them or not being able to put them back together again. But it all worked 8) 8)

Next job the fuel filler cap cable then a full engine strip/ cam shaft re bore :wink:

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 am

Good job. Door handles can be really fiddly to get on and off. Love to know the story with the rat poison....

And you really going to give it a full engine strip and rebuild?!! :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13 pm

At long last a day off after a pretty hectic week. Decided to have a go at cleaning the engine bay in preperation for the BMC this Sunday.
I started off with this

Three hours and a lot of gunk,WD40,and elbow grease later this is the result.

I was quite pleased with the end result and won't be ashamed to open the bonnet now at a show.
Got all 3 on the drive for the first time.

An impressive sight indeed

Also had to change the wiper blades as they were all the wrong type. The rear one didn't even clip into its holder.

After a good clean and polish its now already for Sunday and its first show. :D