Funding

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Funding

Post by dollysprint » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:12 pm

I wont embarrass people by naming them, but suffice to say staging the NEC and getting signage made do not come cheap, even hosting a web site costs money. None of the people who fund these things have ever asked for money even though what they do can come with a couple of zero's on the end.
This has been muted before, but I now seriously think that thought should be given on how to fund these things for the future.
We are a Forum, should we be a Club? Do we have the membership numbers for a Club? Should a £5 charge be made to join this Forum? Other Fora certainly charge to access some areas. Should it be £10 or £15? Remember the technical expertise on this Forum alone can save a member a trip to the garage and a £50(min) an hour diagnostic charge.
On the other hand does being free make this Forum one of the more friendly and best on the internet and a Club/Charge may alter that?
If so how do we fund these activities that some people give so selflessly too? I think we need to find a way.

Thoughts??

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Funding

Post by rovercoup » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Well done with this post Dave. I for one would be happy to support such an idea and would be happy to pay an annual subscription as a club member. As regards to the amount i will leave this to the senior members to decide, who for so long have provided valuable information and give so much of their spare time. In respect of events although I have not had the pleasure yet, again I think that a fee is warranted to help pay for the organising activity's and selfless acts such as banners,flyers. I was tempted to go to an RSR meet last weekend but other commitments stopped that but was prepared to pay for this event so don,t see this as a problem for more 800 orientated events. c'mon everyone isn't it time we all took some responsibility after all the forum/club wouldn't exist without people doing what they do and indeed the members input themselves
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:02 pm

I'd also be happy to pay a sensible subscription fee, worth it for the resources and contacts, maybe a resource limited free area, some sites have a two tier set up.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:05 pm

as i put in another post, i would be happy to help with funding but as i do not have a pay-pal account its difficult to send funds :oops: so if i can send funds to help with costs in any way let me know. :D
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:40 pm

There will likely be the capacity to add a "donate" button as previously mentioned in other post's.
Many forums have them, and all donations are anonymous.

I would not be against an annual fee should the forum become a club in it's own right, and would also be happy to donate to running cost's etc should a "button" be made available.

We have discussed this topic on and off for well over a year now, maybe it is time to decide?

Mal.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Maybe a sticky 1 week poll incorporating different suggested 'amounts' may give some insight.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:00 pm

I would be happy to send some pennies to help out
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Just to let you know, we are currently investigating options for forming a proper club - so that members can get something back for the expenditure they make.

Watch this space ...............hopefully we'll have some plans soon
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 am

I would be willing to pay a sensible subscription to use this site and be a part of the community. As said above I have probably saved a few quid on mechanics fees for diagnosing problems (I can do the work but am not that great at diagnosis) even then I probably wouldn't have changed my own timing belt without the help of Richards guide (garage £220ish or parts £60 inc tensioner = Saving of £160 on that job alone and more experience to add to my mechanics C.V.)

There are a few pros of being a proper club like the usual car insurance deals, that feeling of pride etc... no doubt there is also some paperwork involved for admins though.

It could even be done in a way that some of the others are where there is a free for all part of the forum for general help and then a club members section for more advanced help and details on club stuff :D so that help is always available to those who need it.

I vote yes to a subscription or donation club.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:51 pm

TheVDM wrote:so that help is always available to those who need it.
As I've said elsewhere, I'd be more than happy to cough up some money, more as a token of appreciation that anything else.

But it's the point above that I think is really important - if we're to play a part in raising the profile of 800s in anyway, I would suggest that keeping the advice/tech/help sections free to access is crucial.

Looking forward to finding out more about the plans afoot.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)